What is your MUST HAVE piece of equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Today I actually told dispatch I could not copy their traffic because the ambulance is simply too loud. They laughed, and never repeated the update.

I keep asking for headsets in the rigs and keeping getting crap for it.

My hearing has noticeably gotten worse after working on the box, even with my hiatus.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
We thought about going to them with our new rig but between the gas engine and sirens and airhorn being in the bumper, it's quiet. Our newer Type Is are really quiet as well. But a Ford E450 with the 6.0 Diesel and airhorns mounted under the seats is just too loud. Which is what I was in at AMR today. As soon as the fan comes on it's impossible to hear.

I do love my airhorns though. Maybe not a must have piece of equipment, but not much is more effective.

I'm going with my safety glasses. I actually try and take care of mine so I can see out of them when I need them. The rig ones are always scratched to crap and useless. And I am totally the guy that brings em in on more calls than needed. You get one pair of eyes...

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm going with my safety glasses. I actually try and take care of mine so I can see out of them when I need them. The rig ones are always scratched to crap and useless. And I am totally the guy that brings em in on more calls than needed. You get one pair of eyes...

I will admit, I always chuckled at those PPE pictures in school. Never saw 'em when working IFT. But when I started in the ED, I see a good 25% of crews coming in with them on. Did not look so bad. As well, I saw enough reason for keeping a pair handy. In the ED I do not bother because I am not worried about trauma to my eye there and I have other ways of preventing spitters giving me trouble. That said, in SAR I do not leave the ICP without them. No trees poking my eyes out. Not today.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We thought about going to them with our new rig but between the gas engine and sirens and airhorn being in the bumper, it's quiet. Our newer Type Is are really quiet as well. But a Ford E450 with the 6.0 Diesel and airhorns mounted under the seats is just too loud. Which is what I was in at AMR today. As soon as the fan comes on it's impossible to hear.

I do love my airhorns though. Maybe not a must have piece of equipment, but not much is more effective.

I wear oakley m frames with clear lenses at night just for that reason. They're always with me in a leg pocket and I can grab Em when needed

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I wear oakley m frames with clear lenses at night just for that reason. They're always with me in a leg pocket and I can grab Em when needed
Yup. At night sunglasses come off hat and safety glasses go on.

CFal

Forum Captain
I keep asking for headsets in the rigs and keeping getting crap for it.

My hearing has noticeably gotten worse after working on the box, even with my hiatus.
That's what I love about nights, I only put my siren on when clearing intersections

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
A good brain and the sense to know when either you are spending too much time on scene or wanting to get all carried away rather than taking the patient to the hospital or when the situation calls for something out of the box. Certainly comes in handy ... and right behind is the ability to build a good rapport with people.

In terms of actual physical equipment I'd have to say probably a good stethoscope; not the cheap rubbish thing supplied. Good loud station alarm is also useful for when Control tone pages you for a purple or red job; helps to make sure you are up and awake especially at 2 or 3 am!

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
An ambulance that has very good insulation so you can barely hear the siren and more importantly a unit with an amazing AC system. In the 120 degree weather having an AC can make my day

Different Operation....same problems/wishes.

I think a functional MDT really is a life saver.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Closed for useless bump

Status
Not open for further replies.