What is the best emt book to start teaching with

Tsbemt

Forum Probie
Please tell me your thoughts on what is the best EMT book to start teaching with?

OP
OP
T

Tsbemt

Forum Probie
This is true but I'm a new teacher

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Whatever book your program tells you to use. By the way, don't start more or less duplicate threads.

OP
OP
T

Tsbemt

Forum Probie
We are not given a program. Our state lets us use what we want. We just have submit a lesson plan for aproval.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
We are not given a program. Our state lets us use what we want. We just have submit a lesson plan for aproval.

Who oversees your program? I believe most (all?) states make training programs have a medical director or be otherwise overseen by someone of similar responsibility.

OP
OP
T

Tsbemt

Forum Probie
We submit a lesson plan with how many hours for each topic and they either approve or deny it. After that you have free choice on what books or material to use. I'm just trying to see what seems to be the standard book or preferred choice in book? Do you teach? And does your state use NREMT?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Start off with a good A&P textbook. If you don't start there, don't bother.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
I personally like the Brady text books, they explain everything well. Brady also had an emergency medical anatomy and physiology text book that is great! Wish you the best of luck with your teaching!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
OP, do you hold some sort of instructor credential, or have any past EMS teaching experience? Many states require EMT course instructors to be credentialed, by taking a course on state standards and pedagogy, completing an internship with existing courses and often a set of examinations. With this experience you will be able to critically examine a text for it's merits and weaknesses and determine what best fits for your students and teaching style.

I highly recommend you seek out this training and experience, or at least work under an established instructor for some time before trying to figure things out yourself. If you'd like some help finding instructor resources, feel free to PM me.