What have you done or would you do in this "sticky wicket" ?

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I have had this happen before in other jobs.

There is one person in my service that tries to engage me in chit-chat at inappropriate times. I otherwise like this person and do not want to alienate them. Thank god I have yet to be on a job with them.

It started during the orientation and training. We would chat during downtimes, fine, but then while the training officer was talking, this person would wisper questions to me, instead of asking the trainer directly.

I try to just ignore them, act as if I didnt hear, then they paw at me, I contain myself from grabbing their wrist and snapping it to make them stop. I ended up just being sure not sit next to them.

When we ride in the rig, twice it happened, once a senior member was backing the rig in a tight spot. Someone was outside. I was stuck with chatty-person. The way I am, especially as a noobie, is just to sit quiet unless I am asked to help. This person kept wanting to talk "whats going on, should we get out an help, do you think they will make it....?????"

I got out of it by pretending not to hear over the rumble of the engine. Then the person had the gall not to take the effing hint and ask me if I have hearing trouble.

Another time I was getting trained to back the ambulance in a tight bay. The training person was outside directing me via radio. The chatty person in the back giving their input.....why cant the shut the eff up ?

I cant find the way to speak to them about it, they might complain to others....and if no one knows about it I am the bad person.....

THIS HAPPENED ALL THE TIME DURING PUBLIC SAFETY TYPE TESTS:

Once at a test, they had answer sheets, some went horizonatal, some vertical, so this nosy person sees me going one way and them the other, ad thinks I am making a mistake, they want to correct me, first they wisper, I ingnore, then they paw me, then they start talking in this add/asperger/anxoius voice telling me I am "doing it wrong" spittle flying everywhere. The proctor comes over, knows I was silent, asks the person what the problem is, looks at my paper, looks at theirs, tells them to mind their own buisness, wispers me to me, "dont worry, knothing is wrong", then the rest of the time splotchy spittle face is glaring at me the whole time and gives me a dirty look on the way out.

Then there are the people that dont pay attention to who ever is running the show, and taps on their neighbors shoulder with retarded questions, or comments,

I even had people like that I ahd to work with. In the middle of jobs, making issues of things that we should have just ignored. Mindless chatter, trying to engage me in some conversation that is not appropriate it.

Or the people that tell ridiculous war stories that in now way happened or are true.

Or they tell you things that scream: TMI

One person i even worked with a bunch of times, woudl them say, "Oh, I know you hate me...." (I would ignore) Do get them to sto talking on a double tour, I said, lets have a quiet competition, whoever talks first has to buy lunch....it got the point they would ramble, and then stop themseves and say, oh yes, quiet time......

This was a job when things would rarely happen and when it did I would try to get them to leave and just deal myslef........

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THESE PEOPLE?????

The only way I can think to solve it is to grab them by the neck, cut off the air supply, and hit their heads against a solid object until they become unrepsonsive. However, that solution is both illegal and a social faux paus, so barring that what have you done or would you do when stuck with a chatty person ??????

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Are you serious?

Tell them to stop bothering you.

If that fails, walk away.

Yes, I am serious. I cant walk away when I am sitting in the back of the bus with them.

I cant just say shut up, its an otherwise nice person, they have a spouse in a high place in the public safety world in NYC, and if i speak up it could backfire, if others are not aware of it, I can be the bad guy.....

I just try to ignore the chit chat when we need to be quiet, but they dont take the hint, if I ignore, this person paws my shoulder like a dog....

Maybe I can just give a glaring look and say "WAIT TIL LATER", I dont mind dealing with them during down time, but they chat during class sessions or driver training, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
is this really a big deal? if they want to talk to themselves let them. if they want to engage in stupid conversation then engage them in stupid conversation.

i have someone i work with frequently who is as smart as a bucket of rocks, and when she says dumb things i either ignore or play with her, she is too dumb to understand im pointing out her stupidity, and it gets the conversation moving. its only twelve hours right? cant be that bad.

how bout bring a dvd player and put a movie on. or my all time favorite: put the shades on or pull your hat down and pretend your sleeping.

i dont think plain ignoring or shooting dirty looks will work.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
my bad

oops, didnt read your last post too carefully.

bothering you during class or tests is inappropriate. i would be honest and say look i cant concentrate when you talk at the same time as the instructor. this stuff is important to me and im not good at classroom stuff so i need to listen.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
is this really a big deal? if they want to talk to themselves let them. if they want to engage in stupid conversation then engage them in stupid conversation.

i have someone i work with frequently who is as smart as a bucket of rocks, and when she says dumb things i either ignore or play with her, she is too dumb to understand im pointing out her stupidity, and it gets the conversation moving. its only twelve hours right? cant be that bad.

how bout bring a dvd player and put a movie on. or my all time favorite: put the shades on or pull your hat down and pretend your sleeping.

i dont think plain ignoring or shooting dirty looks will work.

this person is not talking to themselves, that I could just ignore, they want to engage me in inane idle chit chat either when someone is speaking formally or when someone is doing something serious and it would be appropriate to remain silent until asked to help, verbally or non verbally...

If I do not reply to them, they paw at me and just dont 'get' why I am not interacting verbally.

Its the thing I cant stand about a certain segment of public safety people...its easier to deal with most skells....

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
oops, didnt read your last post too carefully.

bothering you during class or tests is inappropriate. i would be honest and say look i cant concentrate when you talk at the same time as the instructor. this stuff is important to me and im not good at classroom stuff so i need to listen.

i dont want to even say that while the class is underway, and I am too afraid to pull the person aside and have one of those "please do not..." talks with because they may get offended and it might turn other people against me...

When I had my LEO job, I found it easier to deal with some criminals then dealing with some co-workers, especially where I had worked.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Ignoring it makes you look like a jerk.

Politely tell them "Shh, I'm trying to concentrate." If you're in the truck with them and you guys are sitting, break out a book. That's how I deflected my partner all day monday. I even threw in a couple "Mm... That's nice. Oh...hahaha." to keep them occupied.

If you're driving just nod along and when the conversation pauses insert appropriate "Oh wow.." or "Man that sucks."

I never ignore people. It drives me crazy to be ignored everyone deserves the common courtesy to be acknowledged. But that doesn't mean I have to engage them.

If all else fails:
"Sorry, my head hurts, I'm not feeling very talkative."

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Ignoring it makes you look like a jerk.

Politely tell them "Shh, I'm trying to concentrate." If you're in the truck with them and you guys are sitting, break out a book. That's how I deflected my partner all day monday. I even threw in a couple "Mm... That's nice. Oh...hahaha." to keep them occupied.

If you're driving just nod along and when the conversation pauses insert appropriate "Oh wow.." or "Man that sucks."

I never ignore people. It drives me crazy to be ignored everyone deserves the common courtesy to be acknowledged. But that doesn't mean I have to engage them.

If all else fails:
"Sorry, my head hurts, I'm not feeling very talkative."

Thank you for reply.

I do not ignore them during down time. I can deal with anyone during downtime.

Its just during a class, meeting, or when someone is doing something serious (liking backing a rig into an alley with 4" clearance on either side) I do not want to utter a single word. Even, " be quiet now, lets talk later"

If we are just driving somewhere, or sitting at the standby table, I am humble enough to go along with anyones chit chat to be sociable.

I do not have the testicles or spinal column to take the person aside and say, "hey, please do not talk to me during a class, meeting, or when something serious is going on...." which is what I need to do but cant.

I can handle pretty nuch all the other BS, the vulgarity, the rough housing, the person who lets a little authority swell his or her head.....I just cant take the chatterboxes....

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well then you really can't blame the person can you? If you don't have the guts to talk to them about the problem you can't expect change.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
This has worked for me many times... maybe you can find their hidden nerve... As they are chit chatting, just interrupt and start talking about the coolest zit on your rear end you have ever popped.... and just describe it and start making sounds with your mouth trying to recreate the noises it may have made.... and each time it happens, go off on some crazy tangent of how your arms got cut off during the war and re-attached... and just let your creative juices flow.
This works especially well when you are alone with them.... and let them think you are crazy. But do it with a smile and great enthusiasm, and be aware who is listening as well. You don't want to dig a hole you can't get out of. Those people don't want to hear my stories anymore... and I don't have to listen to them jibber jabber. I can deal with any weird looks and talking behind my back. Those in the know... know.
Cause.... you are probably not alone... they just happen to spot the weaker link. Strengthen your link. :p:):):)

( dang.... now my secret is out... )

medic417

The Truth Provider
One of the largest problems at many EMS stations is lack of communication. Cowboy up and tell them what is on your mind. Dealing directly with issues rather than talking to others not involved about the problems will solve problems.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I feel for you. Where I work (not EMS) I work with chatty people all the time. I'm not really a chit chatter myself and it can get frustrating. Luckily I have the ability to put a little more distance between me and the talker but I still can't get away from the really aggressive ones. I've been dealing with this for 15 years and I've pretty much come to realize that it's more a me problem than a them problem. I do know that not talking back seldom works. That usually just causes them to feel like they have to fill the silence up with more talk. Try this, when they start talking to you steer the topic onto something you know they know nothing about and have no interest in. Like this.

Them: Oh my god did you see that episode of dancing with the stars last night I can't believe how well blah blah blah dances

Me: No I was too busy watching Doctor Who on the planet of ZED. Who do you think would win in a fight the Doctor Who played by Tom Baker or the Doctor Who played by Colin Baker?

Them: umm well I'm not really....

Me: I KNOW! It just blows your mind thinking about it huh. Two Doctor Who's from two different time lines who would win? God I'm just going to sit here and think about it.

Them: umm...

Me: SILENCE! I HAVE TO FIGURE THIS OUT.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Well then you really can't blame the person can you? If you don't have the guts to talk to them about the problem you can't expect change.

Well if someone had a habit of talking to you during classes or meetings, would you take them aside, and if so, how would you phrase it ?

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Thank you all for replying.

I will just clarify.

It is not the chatting that bugs me.

Its the chatting when we need to be quiet, during a class, meeting, something serious going on when it is polite to be quiet.

The mindless chatter at break time, if it does not interupt anything serious, I can entertain the person.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Thank you all for replying.

I will just clarify.

It is not the chatting that bugs me.

Its the chatting when we need to be quiet, during a class, meeting, something serious going on when it is polite to be quiet.

The mindless chatter at break time, if it does not interupt anything serious, I can entertain the person.

"I need to concentrate, and can't do it with you talking. Please don't talk to me right now."

There's no way to take care of this issue except to take care of it. And the person is going to need to feel chastised in order to shut up.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well if someone had a habit of talking to you during classes or meetings, would you take them aside, and if so, how would you phrase it ?

Yes. "Sorry, but when you try to talk to me in class/meetings I have a hard time concentrating on what's going on, but I'd be happy to help you after the meeting is over if you still need it."

Maybe the person is intimidated by whoever is having the class/meeting and is comfortable enough with you not to feel like an idiot for asking questions.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe the person is intimidated by whoever is having the class/meeting and is comfortable enough with you not to feel like an idiot for asking questions.

Its not only this one person.

Because this is an open forum, I am not going to describe the person because if enough NYC people asked around they could figure out who it was.

I either have to find the right words to pull them aside or find an under handed way to repel them enough to not seek me out for that.

I otherwise like the person and this person makes a good "work-buddy".

Sasha

Forum Chief
The dialogue is still the same "I'm sorry I'm having trouble concentrating, can we talk afterwards?"

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
The dialogue is still the same "I'm sorry I'm having trouble concentrating, can we talk afterwards?"

That is good but I do not want to draw attentiom to myself whispering that during a metting for example.

Actually, I have time to mull this over because this person is taking a month leave of absence....as I said, I like this person otherwise, we hung out during the holliday party.

I am really looking for the right words to take the person aside and in one well phrased and delivered sentence get them to stop talking to me at the worng time AND still like me.

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko: