What Have We Learned from Katrina??

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
Gang,
In the aftermath of the storm, I think this is a good time to step back and see if we have learned anything from Katrina. With so many people unable to leave and many deaths, which could rise on the spread of disease in New Orleans with the rising water and failed sanitation systems, others trapped in their own homes waiting for help to arrive.

How can we be better prepared next time, because somewhere sometime there will be another one.

Here are a few of my suggestions:

1.) FEMA needs to take more action in ensuring the safety of citizens by having a mandatory evacuation of the coast line for any storm that is catagory 4 or higher. People knew for a week that this storm was coming, people should have been evactuated days before it hit. I believe we can pool our resources and have shuttle buses, taking people who have no transportation or money to leave. Use church buses, school buses, greyhound buses, 15 passenger vans, military convoys, etc. Allow evacuees only 2 large bags per person. Pets will be welcome, but must be bused to a shelter via the humane society and VMAT (veterinary medical assistance teams). You can go back and claim your pet after the storm passes. For a storm this big, evacuation should not be optional.

2.) The total evacuation area should cover at least the width of the storm plus 75 miles to give a leeway, and from the coastline to at least 50-60 miles inland. Inland there isnt so much water damage from the surge, but more wind damage.

3.) For those that live paycheck to paycheck, take them to shelters where they will be offered free meals at least once a day, and ARC should be there to hand out supplies as needed.

4.) For those that know they will unlikely be able to afford an evacuation or those without transportation, place their names on a list where they list the location of their residence, telephone number, and names and ages of their family members that live with them. ALso a list of any medications that need to be taken the prescriptions that need to be filled while on evacuation and the health status of each family member. This will give the officials an idea of who to bus and how many to bus. The list should be updated every year as people move, change jobs, have a new addition to the family, etc. From this list workers can go to the residence or place of work and say that they must pack immediately and go to a nearby pick-up station at a certain time to be evacuated. They should have people load buses by name (alphabetical) (*Anyones name that starts with "A" go to this station, anyones name that starts with "B" go to this station.....). Also if they have a family member that they can stay with during the storm needs to be listed so they can be bused to that city and be picked up. shelters should include hotels, churches, schools, amories, some hospitals, and some homeless shelters that have extra beds

5.) Nursing home residents and hospital patients should be transported by ambulances that can be freed up, this is where the before mentioned "jumbolance" would be extremely handy, possibly Tx of up to 4-5 pts at a time. They should be evacuated to facilities that can accomadate the influx of people. Obviously hospitals and other suitable medical shelters would need to be placed on a list, and of course several factors will play in which facility people will be sent to. Pregnant women who are close to term (within 3 weeks) will need to sent to a hospital incase they go into labor during the storm.

Obviously an evacuation of this magnitude will be very costly in addition to the cost of damages due to the storm but the way I see it no amount of money could ever replace lost lives.

Feel free to add your suggestions.

-Cap'nPanic

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Perhaps the Army Corps of Engineers should consult BEFORE the levys breach?

As for ambulance capacity - what about something out of M*A*S*H???? a big old army bus with strecher racks for pole strechers... not fancy, but gets the job done, espicially for BLS patients... as for vents... I could see 1 ALS ambulance with an EMT/Medic or EMT/Nurse in the back, bagging 2 patients...

As for the mandatory evacuations... good idea, would never happen.

Jon

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I think for starters... don't live in a 15 foot deep hole :ph34r: . If you all think back there is never 100 percent compliance with any evac. Some people just do not want to leave their homes. Some folks just do not have the means to do so. In the grand scheme of things I think the reported death tolls are pretty reasonable. I actually expected much worse.

OP
OP
C

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
If several states pulled together their resources BEFORE the hurricane hits, we could possibly evacuate the entire city of NOLA.

Thats what I said that we could use school buses, church buses, greyhound buses, 15 passenger vans, military convoys, even limos would be handy ;)

It would have to come from the state that was in danger as well as manpower and sources from surrounding states. All flights going into the storm area ,just dont need to fly in to begin with, leave the people stranded OUTSIDE the storm area. If they can force hundreds of thousands out of the Gaza Strip in one week, then surely using police force, we can force people to to evacuate, thus the MANDATORY evacuation plan.

Oh BTW, NOLA is DESTROYED. It will never be the same NOLA.

-Cap'nPanic

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
My question is this:

Why is it when another country has a natural disaster (Oh say..like a Tsunami?) We hold benefits, concerts and raise money for them to get help, send people, supplies, etc.. And yet when we have one, we only see our own people scrambling to lend a hand?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Honestly, unless it's money or food, I don't want anyone here helping us out. We have plenty of manpower and resources to get the job done.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Not necessarily, remember ;ast years hurricanes we had scads of people coming down from all over (even electricians) to get things running again.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Were they coming from other countries or other states?

Coming from other states is fine. Coming from other countries I just don't agree with, not when we have the resources here.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Oh I misunderstood. I agree, we don't need it, nor do I think most of us want it, but it would be nice for them to at least offer, when our country often does more for others than it does for us.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Sep 2 2005, 04:55 PM
Were they coming from other countries or other states?

Coming from other states is fine. Coming from other countries I just don't agree with, not when we have the resources here.
Amen.... as for electric... most electric co's do "mutual aid" too....

Jon

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I think we also learned that Project Homeland is a joke. It is appearantly filled with pencil pushing beuracrats that when the feces hit the fan.. they didn't know what to do. This is the division that wants to oversee EMS ?........whoa....God forbid!

In National Disaster models we have rehearesed & re-rehearsed certain areas such L.A, Dallas, N.Y and even New Orleans. But, for some reason someone dropped the ball, and did not follow the model.

I am sure we will see many new prgrams come out from this horrible disaster.

We need to invistigate why it took several days to evacuate a hospital, and provide the basic neccessities to survivors.

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Since FEMA is now part of DHS, I wonder if they've been spending too much time "preparing" for a terrorist attack instead of a natural disaster.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I saw this on "thesecretlist" - very good points....

As for the flooding... I've seen this a lot locally... folks live on flood plains, get flooded out every few years, and want the goverment to pay for their damage.

Why should the goverment pay for you own damn stupidity???

ECC

Forum Captain
I think we learned to stop building Cities and refineries in areas that require levies!

If God had wanted us land dwelling non-saltwater breathing organisms to live happily between the Mississippi and Lake Ponchatrain, the would have left the valley above sea level!

Wenoka

Forum Ride Along
Hello

I am from Louisiana and heart broken over the disaster in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast.

About New Orleans I am appalled and embarrassed by the action and remarks of the local politicians, Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin.

Nagin action on national TV was unprofessional and if you what to say he was trying to save “his” people; he has always know of our levee problems and should have sent the evacuees more north than the superdome, what an idiot. It does not take a brain surgeon to figure out that the Dome could not withstand a hurricane of Katrina’s magnitude. He had the city buses and the school buses at his finger tips, but did not want “his” people to leave New Orleans. If he wants to play the blame-game so be it, he killed at least 10000 of “his” people.

Blanco, well she dropped the ball also, well she did and still does not know what the hell is going on. She let the state police turned around 41 agencies on the way to help. * This is only hear say I only know of 2 personally. This is done by the state police until a State of Emergency is declared, she wait 4 days to do this.

The Feds came when she, Gov. Blanco, asked, but she did not ask until days later. When she asked they came and I only then noticed some kind of order in the mass confusion. This was a screw up in the local and state government not on the Federal level.

These are my people and I have bled for them and I will do what ever it takes to help them. I only now set in an air-conditioned room and write this. Nagin set in a safe cool room in Baton Rouge while he said that EMS crews need to go into the city and get “his” people out. Well he was not the one that was smelling the stench of death and raw sewage, the heat and working on a few hours of sleep, oh I almost forgot about being shot at and people trying to rip us out of our boats.

Yes we should rebuild New Orleans. It is the home of Jazz and blues. It is The Big Easy. The culture there is like no other and we can not let it be lost. New Orleans for us is not just a place on the map but also a place in our hearts. I am a veteran in the EMS field and not much bothers me, but this brings tears to my eyes.

Please remember the people of The Big Easy and the Gulf Coat in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome Wenoka. Glad to see your safe and finally have a few minutes to sit. Is your family safe as well?

If you have time, take some and tell us all a little more about yourself.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
:D :D :D Welcome Wenoka :D :D :D

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Sep 8 2005, 07:52 PM
What Have We Learned from Katrina??

Don't let the French build a city on a Swamp?
bravo, but better yet build a city 20 feet below sea level next to lack ponchartrain, the mississippi river and the gulf of mexico???????

sadly my little town is built on a swamp, but I live at the base of a small mtn, so its not too bad. just have to watch out for the skeeters.

-capn

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Wenoka,

Everyone in the Gulf Coast area has been in our prayers, and some of our members are down there now helping with the relief effort.

Also, welcome.