What does Paragod mean to you

vc85

Forum Crew Member
So, what does the term "paragod" mean to you. To me it means one of three things:

1. The paramedic whose first and only words upon arriving on scene is "Who is going to drive my fly-car?"

2. The paramedic who tries to perform miracles on calls. (i.e. The patient is 90 years old, last seen 7 hours ago and has lividity and rigor, why are you trying to start a line and work a code? --Also-- Yes, I understand the patient has bradycardia and shallow depressed respirations, but he is a mentally alert 80 year old cancer patient, with a DNR and who expressed a wish to die at home. Why are you trying to talk him into going, and calling med control to have him deemed incompetent and forced into going)

3. The paramedic who thinks they are God's gift to EMS, despite the fact they brag about failing their medic test double digit times, take 5 tries to start an IV on every call, can't intubate, and manage to screw up a rescue airway too.

Now I do have to say this is a small percentage of the medics I have worked with, I think I only know like 3 or 4 who fit one of the above categories

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
para·god
par-uh-god
noun
1. a person who is supposed to have received adequate training at the EMT-Paramedic level, and believes that their three semester education in emergency medical care qualifies them as a physician; similar to the term "noctor"
2. a prehospital healthcare professional who provides high quality prehospital care; usually a term of jestful adoration toward senior medics
3. the pain in the :excl: new guy who thinks he knows everything, but ends up being dangerous to patients and staff due to his/her woeful ignorance

Origin

late 20th cent.: later form of the term "paramedic"

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I'll often see people use the term paragod when a paramedic is more capable or knowledgeable than said person, making them feel uncomfortable or inadequate.

I've also seen the medics described above.* I usually just refer to them as idiots.

*Minus azemt's #2

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'll often see people use the term paragod when a paramedic is more capable or knowledgeable than said person, making them feel uncomfortable or inadequate.

I've also seen the medics described above.* I usually just refer to them as idiots.

*Minus azemt's #2

This. I are people call paramedics paragods when they are smart and aggressive and do what they need to to take care of their patients. Someone who goes above the bare minimum or cookbook to be a true patient advocate.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

*Minus azemt's #2

This is the one I see most often.

eju218

Forum Ride Along
The paramedic that makes their basic partner their :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I think it is ironic and funny.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
My basic partner texts and srives and makes poor choices while telling me how smart he is, but I'ma paragod for asking him not to text.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've always heard it used in a derogatory manner.
Ditto. The Paragod, to me, is the Paramedic that thinks he/she is above the regular day-to-day BLS stuff and only "true" ALS calls are worthy of their time. Their skill level is not quite up to snuff while they also tend to rigidly follow the protocol book as if it was the bible itself. Yes, Paragod is a very derogatory term, IMO.

A Paramedic is one who is competent in all things BLS and ALS, and is so very competent at BLS (because that's what we do most of the time) that they're a BLS GOD... someone that can be pointed to as a model of excellent BLS care. Yes, while they do know the protocols extremely well, they are also not afraid to step outside the box and call for orders because they know that the protocols are sometimes inadequate. This person is a thinker, and as such, could be easily regarded as a clinician, not a technician. Transitioning to a different realm of medicine would be easy to accomplish because they're already in a clinician mindset.

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
Maybe in order to understand paragod; we have to look at that word itself.
PARAGOD.
Basically, it's made up of two separate words "par" and "agod."
What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is paragod.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Maybe in order to understand paragod; we have to look at that word itself.
PARAGOD.
Basically, it's made up of two separate words "par" and "agod."
What do these words mean? It's a mystery and that's why so is paragod.

Actually it's "Para" and "god"
So auxiliary god. Yep, that actually matches me.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I work at a place where we have 15 full time line employees. I am am one of four EMTs. As far as the local big city adjoining AMR ops is concerned, every medic there basically defines what a paragod is. In my experience, all but one or two are my mentors.

Good medics are good medics.

Sometimes it's all about perspective.

TigerManMcCool9974

Forum Probie
As a 40yr old, who has spent 20 years in medicine, but became a basic 3 weeks ago, and who looks forward to working a while w/hopes to become a paramedic within the next 18mos, a "paragod" is one of those EMT-B's or Paramedics who is too good to answer your questions. Just like a doctor that thinks your questions are banal, beneath their time and effort, or, God forbid, your genuine curiosity or basic interest should somehow seem to question their medical judgement. They know it all, and to ask why they do something is an insult to theire skill and training.

In my experience, as a surg tech, I've had physicians ask me questions, quiz me on scenarios, and teach me new approaches, methods, and techniques. I've also had some that would rather I not park their car, because they're doctors, I'm just a tech, and their dog could do a better job.

A paragod is an individual with a God-complex. "I save lives. Period. End of story. You want to know what I do and how I do it? Tell you what: When I ask YOU a question, I might give you an answer."

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm a paragod. And an arrogant prick. And one helluva an awesome paramedic.

You asked....

Oh not what you meant. Paragods are too big to treat symptoms because "they're not sick enough to need my services".

Paragods don't treat pain because "a little pain lets you know you're still alive."

Paragods yell and scream and belittle their partner when a mistake is made rather than taking advantage of a teachable moment.