What do you think about "Combat Hospital" on TV?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I like the Canadian slant, and was laughing about the tarantula in the shower. Guess they couldn't round up a real "camel spider" (Solifuge) as big as the rumors have them. How long until it turns into "ER"?

Solifuge+with+wounded+abdomen+-+K-Crossing+Kuwait+(1).JPG

Up to about about six inches of mostly long legs.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I loved ER, but probably not for the same reasons as others. I like Combat Hospital, so far. I, too wonder whether they'll actually bring up "the issues" that make military medicine interesting, or just get caught up in the drama of who's sleeping with whom.
Time will tell...

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

They've touched on some issues.

The medical commander has to decide if a case is not worth pursuing, combatants want to affect your care (withold it , shorten it, perform torture, or move their guy to the head of the line).

In my experience, if you keep a set of actual people anywhere long enough, even the exciting stuff devolves into soap opera.

Someone did a special about setting up one of the first field hospitals after the Iraq invasion, I cannot find it anywhere. It also addressed some of thee issues.

Outworld

Forum Probie
Greys Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy in the sandbox....

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate it.

September will be my 5th anniversary in Afghanistan with the majority of that time in Kandahar specifically.

It is inaccurate, ridiculous and just lame. Great drama for people who never cross their own county line but shyte for those who have BTDT or are still doing it.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
FYI for those who do not know...Kandahar is a NATO base which was run by the Canadians from late 2005 until late 2010. Each stakeholder nation of NATO is supposed to take turns leading these NATO bases.

Canada, UK and USA are the main three which seem to get this duty shared amongst them. Canada has just finished their tour and by coincidence it was America's turn about the same time we were doing the Afghan troop surge, so there was a massive influx of US soldiers, some under NATO billet and the rest under the US surge umbrella.

So if the show wanted to be accurate, it would consist of Canadians as they were in charge of the medical services during that time frame. It would also throw in some Dutch as they were very helpful and in the back of the hospital would be a smaller unit which consisted of a UK element.

The Americans took over medical services in October 2010.

There would be no Germans as they are all in the northern bases...there would be lots of Bulgarians, Romanians, French, Slovakians, Aussies, Canadians and Brits. There was even a Polish group here and several other smaller nations, sorry for forgetting you.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Thanks AK!!!

I'm ignorant of ALL of that, but a little less so now.

I am amused by their CGI aircraft in the background, and how close everything in their helicopter pad scenes has to be to keep things moving and in frame.

PS: AK, when did Tia Carrera come and take pictures of everyone?;)

325Medic

Forum Lieutenant
It is like watching a train wreck. I cannot stop watching it but am sure it will be like Greys Anatomy. My work partner likes it but I wish there would be more medicine beyond the asshatterty of a primary survey...:rofl:

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I like it

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Horrible in every respect. I haven't been able to make it 10 minutes into any episode. Friggin' Canadians are ruining US television with all these lame, poorly written/directed/acted shows they're cranking out lately. Even if they fixed the technical gaffes, it would still suck.

Addicted2Narcan

Forum Probie
I can't watch or respect a show that takes advantage of the sacrifices our troops are making over there by dramatizing their experiences into a poorly written soap opera. I guess anything for a buck...

volmedic85

Forum Ride Along
Being Canadian I love the show. I have no experience overseas so I cannot attest to its accuracy or what not, but I like it. And besides, It sure beats that other show "rescue 77" or whatever it was called.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Horrible in every respect. I haven't been able to make it 10 minutes into any episode. Friggin' Canadians are ruining US television with all these lame, poorly written/directed/acted shows they're cranking out lately. Even if they fixed the technical gaffes, it would still suck.

As opposed to CSI, CSI, CSI, Law & Order, Law & Order, Law & Order, Law & Order, Law & Order, Law & Order, Law & Order, Law & Order, Law & Order, Law & Order, Private Practice, Trauma, Grey's Anatomy.(She has very nice anatomy BTW).

Combat Hospital and Flashpoint are no worse or better than any of that other crap on TV.

I can't watch or respect a show that takes advantage of the sacrifices our troops are making over there by dramatizing their experiences into a poorly written soap opera. I guess anything for a buck...

Bet you loved MASH though.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Ah, "Rescue 77"

Michelle Monaghan...
Well, "Combat Hospital" can take a breather and lick its wounds. OK soap opera.

flashpointsurvival

Forum Ride Along
im watching it now online, (i dont have cable anymore or network tv, waste of time and money)

it seems alright. tv limits what you can do, and i anticipate that its going to be hard for the series to keep it real while on abc, i will keep an open mind though

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Series cancelled

Final episode show only in Canada.