What do you love/hate about your rig?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have to spec out our replacement ambulance for purchase in late 2010. So I want to hear what you love and hate about your rigs. What would you do differently? What did you wish it had? What do you wish they never bothered to put in there?

Brands would be helpful, pics would be awesome. If you were designing your new rig, how would you like it to be. I probably won't be able to use everything and there will probably be some fat trimming after the first set of bids come in, but I want to start big.

It will probably be a Braun. Our current rig is a Wheeled Coach. I'm needing serious information so if you want to include things like a cowcatcher on the front for old people will an allergy to their rear view mirror, find another thread :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
Cup holders. It needs cupholders.

NEMed2

Forum Crew Member
Make sure it has really good mirrors. I don't know the model off the top of my head, but one of my ambulance has the worst mirrors in the world. We actually had them replaced so many people complained about them. I will get back to you with more info.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Backup cameras, reps brought a truck in one day to show off while I was working in supply (no partner that day). So I got to play around and the backup cameras with sensors was really nice. Fish eye lens and it made it about 20x easier to back the rig up without a spotter.

Trucks with a center mount stretcher.

Cupholders....seriously don't know if Sasha is joking but ambulances need freaking cup holders.

I was also partial to the novelty of glove compartments with the holes for the front of the glove box. For some reason most of the ambulances around here have no glove box holders so you end up with 6 boxes of gloves just thrown whereever.

Warmers and coolers for various fluid and med needs.

My perfect rig would include all of the above. LED lighting inside and out. I forget the name of the restraint system but you could wear it and move around and in the case of a crash it would lock up under high tension, only saw a demo online so don't know much about the efficiency of it, it also had a quick release on the front. Sliding side door. motorized stretcher lift. 'State of the art' electronics package with built in GPS unit with both street and satellite view (only useful in areas with current imaging). Unique siren package (a combo of unique sound and the vibrating sirens I've seen, something that could possibly get the public to pay a bit more attention). Padding on all sharp corners and impact points in the rear. Mount points for monitors and other peices of equipment. I also like the drawer and cabinet system I've seen in many of the sprinter ambulances from across the pond. I'm sure there are more things but this is just some things I've been thinking of.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I agree with the center load stretcher, but I think the glove box holder would just be a waste. We have a glove box holder up at the top by the foot of the bench seat. It's so inconvienent you would have to stand and move to get to it, and when I need gloves I want them in arms reach. We still have a bunch of boxes all around.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree with the center load stretcher, but I think the glove box holder would just be a waste. We have a glove box holder up at the top by the foot of the bench seat. It's so inconvienent you would have to stand and move to get to it, and when I need gloves I want them in arms reach. We still have a bunch of boxes all around.

Center mount stretchers are SOOOO nice. There are a few trucks in each fleet around here that have them and it's so nice when you're in that truck. I hate not having a center mount. The one example of a glove box would be a local departments truck. They have a container for boxes built above your head on the bench seat so you reach up and have gloves. They also have one mounted in the front of the truck for gloving up before getting out and another mount right next to the side door so if you come in that way you can get gloves (that side door usually only has large and x-large box). The one above the bench seat has two boxes each of small/med/large/xlarge. The front mount is between the seats and has small med large and xlarge also but only one box of each.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Been a while, but generically

No little compartments to use up space.
Nothing using velcro "latches" which you open and close a lot, and no zippers where you will hardly ever open or close something a lot (one wears out, the other corrodes shut).
Rounded corners and edges on stuff.
Ease of access for maintenance to wiring for lights, radios, intercom, and they are routed away from oxygen. Will you need to remove the dashboard for simple repairs to switches, controls, etc.?
See if a gang of switches has to be totally replaced if it goes out, or if one switch module can be replaced if it goes out.
Multiple belts (or wide belts) from engine to alternators, other takeoff goodies.
GOOD patient compartment exhaust fan.
GOOD patient compartment heating and A/C unit.
In cab battery switch and dual batteries. Should be a hefty rotary switch, not a little switch which uses battery juice to throw a solenoid switch to load the real juice to the starter etc.
Flush mounted lights on the side of the unit, not "cans" which can get scraped off.
Enough/sufficient electric outlets to run rechargers and other electrical gadgets you will be using.
Gooseneck or "suspensor"-style spring arm lamps: Up to you. Avoid fiberoptic goosenecks, they break and are ridiculously expensive albeit cool.
Shelves equipment will rest upon should be at least 3/4 in plywood under the veneer, you may want to mount brackets or mounting straps to secure stuff there and you don't want to ahve to cope with flimsy shelves or disintegrating particle board.
In fact, avoid particle board.Heavy and not as strong as ply, offgasses fumes in the heat.
TOUGH upholstery.
Exterior access to exterior equipment, interior access to interior equipment.
No electronic locks.
Nothing using foam if you can avoid it. Loses loft with age, tears, crumbles. Exception is sprayed polyurethane insulation in outside compartments.
FUrnishings on interior sealed to floor for ease of cleaning and keeping snow and rain off boots out of your hidden areas and floor level compartments.
Make sure any compartments over the wheelwells are absolutely sealed to hold out the outside.
Eight-track.;)

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Want cupholder? Go with Chevy, they have them up front, out of the way, but easy to access. Plus, they will hold a Sonic Route 44 soda with ease! :p

My biggest suggestion, get rid of the bench and replace it with 2 angled seats with rotating capability and appropriate harnesses. The current standard bench serves no practical purpose as it is the most unsafe place to sit and the recent opinion against multiple patient transports. I never ride on the bench and will not allow anyone on my crew to do so.

medic417

The Truth Provider
As a Ford fan I sadly must say do not buy a Ford. Nothing but trouble with their diesels. I hate the chevy cab, but the Duramax is awesome. Have not tried the dodge yet.

These are great ambulances.
http://www.frazerbilt.com/flash.php

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Want cupholder? Go with Chevy, they have them up front, out of the way, but easy to access. Plus, they will hold a Sonic Route 44 soda with ease! :p

My biggest suggestion, get rid of the bench and replace it with 2 angled seats with rotating capability and appropriate harnesses. The current standard bench serves no practical purpose as it is the most unsafe place to sit and the recent opinion against multiple patient transports. I never ride on the bench and will not allow anyone on my crew to do so.

Do you have a center mount on your trucks? If not how do you manage to do anything from the head without sitting on the bench?

I forgot about the individual swivel seats instead of the bench and I agree on that point. They'd be nice to have, the ones I've seen (in online demos and articles) move back and forth also so you don't have to remove the harness.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
As a Ford fan I sadly must say do not buy a Ford. Nothing but trouble with their diesels. I hate the chevy cab, but the Duramax is awesome. Have not tried the dodge yet.

These are great ambulances.
http://www.frazerbilt.com/flash.php

This is what the fire service (that I do ride time at) uses for their ambulances and I can't stand them. They have nice back compartments but the ride sucks and they are always in the shop.

medic417

The Truth Provider
This is what the fire service (that I do ride time at) uses for their ambulances and I can't stand them. They have nice back compartments but the ride sucks and they are always in the shop.

Thats the chassis fault whether ford, chevy, etc, not Fraizer.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
It's a GMC whatever. The back is nice atleast. I figured the company was the one who made the ride suck because of the air suspension system that is tied into the back module.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Backup cameras
Argreed. All our new trucks have them and their great.

I forget the name of the restraint system but you could wear it and move around and in the case of a crash it would lock up under high tension, only saw a demo online so don't know much about the efficiency of it, it also had a quick release on the front.

Avoid these novelties. Not backed up by science and some are actually more dangerous in a crash. Go to www.objectivesafety.net and look at the ongoing work of Dr. Nadine Levick in term of ambulance safety. She was brought over as a consultant for my service last year and all our new rigs are getting a redesign based on her input.

Also, ditch the squad bench entirely. Captain's chairs that can swivel into the safer front or rear facing and have a side impact zone that isn't your back are the way to go.

Think in terms of infection control and plan ahead for a vehicle with no traps and small spaces for contamination and redesigned to work with a fogging system. Limit seams in upholstery as much as possible and non mechanical switches in the action area.

medic417

The Truth Provider
It's a GMC whatever. The back is nice atleast. I figured the company was the one who made the ride suck because of the air suspension system that is tied into the back module.

Actually sounds like they, the service, went with a 4500 when a 3500 is plenty big for 95% OF ems. mUCH SMOOTHER EVEN W/O THE AIR BAGS.

We have a 4500 sucks, way to rough. The 3500 smoothest ambulance I've been in besides maybe the old Cadillacs.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually sounds like they, the service, went with a 4500 when a 3500 is plenty big for 95% OF ems. mUCH SMOOTHER EVEN W/O THE AIR BAGS.

We have a 4500 sucks, way to rough. The 3500 smoothest ambulance I've been in besides maybe the old Cadillacs.

That sounds about right. They suck majorly, but are quite roomy ;)

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Also, ditch the squad bench entirely. Captain's chairs that can swivel into the safer front or rear facing and have a side impact zone that isn't your back are the way to go.

I have started to see those implemented. A question, though. How do they safely transport a second patient, per KKK requirements?

medic417

The Truth Provider
So the point for Bossy is get a Chevy 3500 chassis or equal but no heavier or it will beat you to death.

You will love the patient compartments of Frazer.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Avoid these novelties. Not backed up by science and some are actually more dangerous in a crash. Go to www.objectivesafety.net and look at the ongoing work of Dr. Nadine Levick in term of ambulance safety. She was brought over as a consultant for my service last year and all our new rigs are getting a redesign based on her input.

Think in terms of infection control and plan ahead for a vehicle with no traps and small spaces for contamination and redesigned to work with a fogging system. Limit seams in upholstery as much as possible and non mechanical switches in the action area.

So the harnesses provide very little protection? Makes sense.

McCoy Miller came out with a side-loading concept which would theoretically eliminate the side facing positions by having the cot loaded perpendicular to the curb:
http://www.mccoymiller.com/products/sideload/sideload1.htm

Doesn't seem very practical for a number of reasons.