What constitutes a "legal to transport ambuance"?

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
hello all, heres a fun one: should be 50 posts to this. unless there are some smart ones around here. hihi..

In your state, what is the minumum to make a "legal" ambulance to transport?
in MN, there has to be at least 2 EMT's on board. some locals have one First Responder as a driver, and 2 EMTs in back.
what say the hive mind??

I'm sure private agencies have there own rules,, that would be intereting also.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
In Portland its mandatory 2 Paramedics on every 911 ambulance. for non 911 IFT's its at least an EMT-B.

For the rest of the state (unless a private agency has there own rules requiring paramedics) you must be atleast EMT-B with the exception of those doing ride a long as a 3rd person observer, student, or FR who is an EMS explorer. (the FR rides along like a student would)

I have herd some states have "drivers" or attendants that are not EMT's who staff the ambulance with 1 EMT. Anyone know anything about that?

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, a lot of states allow just a driver and EMT for IFT privates. Most 911 systems run minimum of 2 EMT's

OP
OP
TraprMike

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, a lot of states allow just a driver and EMT for IFT privates. Most 911 systems run minimum of 2 EMT's

so other words, you don't know,by this generic answer.. thanks for your wisdom..:blush:

reaper

Working Bum
I know for a fact. Do some research and you will figure it out! Every states requirements can be found on the internet!

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, it is. So when you ask a question. Expect answers!

You don't like it, say thank you and move on.

Leave smartass remarks, expect them in return.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
you 2 should get married ;)

I have herd in some 911 systems you might get a driver and a basic, that sounds pretty wild.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
you 2 should get married ;)

I have herd in some 911 systems you might get a driver and a basic, that sounds pretty wild.

Sounds like a good start for a new series on NBC. Oh wait!:ph34r:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
If you have heard it, you can look it up to confirm it.

It amazes me at how many people are not familiar with their own state EMS office website or how few have even read the statutes or laws that govern their certification or license. These should be a required reading assignment for every EMT-B course.

Here is a listing of all the states and links to their websites. If you don't believe it, just look it up.

http://www.emsresponder.com/survey/

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
In Pennsylvania, a volunteer ambulance must either have a) at least an EMT and a driver, or b) at least an EMT and a paramedic unit on the way to "fulfill" with said EMT. Most paid BLS trucks will have two EMTs while an ALS truck requires at least a paramedic and an EMT. Is the "EMT and a driver" thing that outlandish? Not really when you consider that there isn't much difference between the two.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
New Jersey requires paid ambulances to have two EMT-Bs to roll. ALS rigs require two paramedics (MICP's, technically).

Volunteer ambulances under the auspices of the First Aid Council have to have at least one EMT-B to provide patient care in the back, and the other person can be a CPR-trained driver. Though word is that the Department of Health may be taking over all ambulances sometime in the future.

MTEMTB

Forum Crew Member
We need to have at least 2 persons on the ambulance that are an EMT-B or higher. We can also run with a FR as a driver or use a FF as a driver.

I heard recently that they are talking about changing the protocals here in Montana. It depends upon the population and whether you are a volunteer or paid service.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
We need to have at least 2 persons on the ambulance that are an EMT-B or higher. We can also run with a FR as a driver or use a FF as a driver.

I beleive we are required to run a basic and a driver. Driver does not need to have any EMS training. My service runs two basics at a minimum and usually a basic and an intermediate.

We have used FFs as drivers before and that works ok. But don't ever let a sheriff's deputy behind the wheel of an amb and let them drive code 3. :p Trust me. My partner and I were in the back doing CPR and I kept thinking; "C'mon now Mike. This is not a Crown Vic Police Interceptor. It is a one ton Ford truck with a big old top heavy box on the back."

Ha ha ha. Jk. He did a fantastic job of driving for us.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
God it's about time!

While I generally think it's a bad idea to have two different agencies regulating ambulances, I will say that the First Aid Council has been doing what it does longer than OEMS has existed. Seventy-five years or so. The differences in standards are minimal (the major one being whether there needs to be one EMT or two to roll a rig). The problems, such as they are, with NJ EMS are not with the standards, but with some, but by no means all, of the squads that fall under them. There are some pretty shady private providers out there too, from what I've seen, even if they manage to have that big, round Department of Health sticker on the ambulance.

And while many of you may think that volunteer squads are things of the past, and that there should be paid, all-paramedic, third-service 911 coverage everywhere, that's not going to happen tomorrow. Especially because, as I mentioned in another thread, our ALS providers, who are all hospital based, like not having to share the billing revenue with third-service 9-1-1 providers.

So, while I can call my state's EMS system a refugee from the fourth world, I get defensive when other people not from 'round these here parts bash it. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'll climb off my soapbox now.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
At least one Ambulance Technician.

That said the days of the Technician being the highest level of qualification on a vehicle have been drawing to a close for quite some time.

I would say 80% or more already have a Paramedic and more are getting Intensive Care Paramedics.