What can I expect in the EMT-B class?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Some will find it hard, some will not.

I hardly opened my book at all for EMT and I did fine. Others fail out horribly.

mare_liberum

Forum Probie
I found the course pretty basic - there aren't any drugs or dosages to memorize (apart from oxygen, nitroglycerin, oral glucose, Epinephrine, assisting patients with MDIs, and some services allow baby aspirin). For the most part, the course is all about life threatening injuries like controlling major bleeding, dealing with respiratory distress and allergic reactions. My school and course was pretty heavy on CPR, they really wanted us to be super thorough with that so make sure you're up to date and know the AED/CPR requirements.

Other than that, I thought it was pretty much common sense - but all the same, we had like 4 or 5 people flunk out; so take from it what you will.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
do you have to be CPR certified before going into the class?
No this should be covered in the class as CPR competency is a requirement for EMT

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
You can expect overly-glorified first aid. Hopefully, it will also show you how little an EMT-B can really do, and will make you want to learn more and continue your education.

As far as difficulty goes, it can be challenging at times, but so can any class. It shouldn't be bad if you listen, participate, study, and contribute.

Good luck!

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
You can expect overly-glorified first aid. Hopefully, it will also show you how little an EMT-B can really do, and will make you want to learn more and continue your education.

As far as difficulty goes, it can be challenging at times, but so can any class. It shouldn't be bad if you listen, participate, study, and contribute.

Good luck!

This.

I'm only a few weeks into my class, but I'm absolutely appalled at how little training the Basic recieves. I really dislike that (at least where I am) one has to work as an EMT for a year before even going into paramedic school.

What are we going to learn in the field as a Basic that can't be learned after medic school?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
No this should be covered in the class as CPR competency is a requirement for EMT

Most courses out here require AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers as a pre-requisite. However, most of the organizations offering the EMT-B offer a couple of the required CPR/AED classes a few weeks before the EMT-B classes start.

Alas

Forum Crew Member
The thing that I felt most important is to use common sense. Understand why certain things are done and always remember to do things in order. I repeat the word, "priority" in my head to remind myself to do the most important things first.

There was a student or two who aced tests and came early everyday and had A's but failed the NREMT.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldnt call the basic course I took hard, but the Brady book we used was almost 1300 pages long and you had to know everything in it by the end. Thats a fair amount of information to absorb in a relatively short time.

Theres no complex mathematics involved, doesnt really require mechanical ability of any sort, not really physically demanding. But when youre doing a patient transfer during clinicals and the vent breaks down and u have to bag someone the rest of the trip and suction out their ET tube regularly to keep them alive, it does drive home the point that it's serious business. I definitely developed a newfound respect for anyone who works in EMS, especially medics.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the biggest hurdle for most taking an EMT-B course is learning the basics of health care and how to take the practical tests.

When I went in to my EMT course, I had taken medical terminology and other relevant courses. It was a breeze.

Understandably, the others in my class needed a bit more studying and time to pick up on these concepts. I doubt they would call the class difficult, however.

If you've had zero exposure to medical terminology and/or anything health care related, you've got a bit of a learning curve, but it's not difficult to overcome at all. Learning HOW to take NREMT practical tests is a task within itself. The vast majority of EMT-B students have never taken such an exam.

I would suggest focusing on learning medical terminology by its roots and suffixes and prefixes, instead of rote memorization of the bare necessities of your class. It will make it a lot easier for you in the long run. It's awesome being able to see a word you've never seen before and being able to break it down and know what it means.

As far as practical skills, repetition is important. Meet up with classmates outside of class or teach your family members to check your performance against NREMT skill sheets. Anyone can do that. Commit each sheet to memory, especially the assessment sheets. I wrote down each step repeatedly until I could write down each sheet purely from memory.

Verbalize, verbalize, verbalize. This is something I see my students struggle with. It's hard to get used to. You might be thinking it, and it may seem obvious to you, but you need to SAY it. Just get in the habit of verbalizing everything, even as you perform tasks that the evaluator can clearly see and understand.

feldy

Forum Captain
Couldnt agree more! verbalize everything you do do including the things you physically do. As you are palpating the chest during your trauma assessment, make sure you say something like "Im now going to palpate the chest to feel for any bruising or broken ribs, paradoxal movement of the chest..."

As i took my practical exam this past weekend, during the trauma assessment, my pt was a mess. rollover MVA with ejection 20-30ft from rollover site. I didnt verbalize all of my actions which made me look unsure of what i was doing. I failed the first time (i think) becuase i seemed unsure about my actions and forgot to treat for shock because i was too worried and also slightly nervous at my first experiece with an electronic simulation manikin (i had a low budget edu facility and was not use to practicing with it). I passed on the same day retest because i made sure i was more calm, and i verbalized everything and was never again going to forget to treat for shock.

Also a piece of advise because I have seen way too many people fail the exam including my training partner I tested with during my course because they forgot to do a PMS check during traction, spinal, or bone/joint. It seems like a small thing but most of the Practical test is knowing the test and studying the critical fail points for all of the skills and PMS is a Critical Fail.

NepoZnati

Forum Crew Member
I'm only a few weeks into my class, but I'm absolutely appalled at how little training the Basic recieves. I really dislike that (at least where I am) one has to work as an EMT for a year before even going into paramedic school.
I hear you... You are 100% right! It was same with me. Luckily I had some previous experiences that help me to know more and to end up in top of my class. But I would not want more than half of my class to came and treat me or my family. That's for sure.

I wouldnt call the basic course I took hard, but the Brady book we used was almost 1300 pages long and you had to know everything in it by the end. Thats a fair amount of information to absorb in a relatively short time.
I don't know. I would say you are lucky if they want you to learn that much... In my class they skipped half of the book, even said some things are not important... I am dismayed at all that and fact that 2 hours of slides and ½ hour of video is enough to prepare me for the delivery of new human being.

But, what I know. I am just an EMT-B.