What are your pediatrics protocols?

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
What is the point of a pre-hospital LP? it might save a very small amount of time at hospital, but if ABs are already given, the risks associated with it are not worth the saving of 15 mins.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The only point would be if the medic is working for one of the remote flight agencies that cover areas that don't have regular medical care. A pre-hospital LP could mean antibiotics 1-2 hours earlier than if they waited till the hospital. But I am still extraordinarily doubtful it is happening.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
ER doc at my local level IV won't do LP on most NB/peds without getting a CT first. I didn't get much of a satisfying answer when I asked why. All I was told was there can be "other infections besides bac men, tampering with the pressure of spinal fluid, draining infections......" *doc trails off, walks away*

Missing isn't a horrible complication, but I've had my dura space punctured badly. After 10 days of headaches from low/no spinal fluid around my brain, I finally went back in to have it patched.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
No one here is arguing that missing is a horrible complication.

My main point is that doing this procedure when the likelihood of missing is high due to the fact that it is a skill that is not often practiced is irresponsible, and there is very little benefit to justify the risk or patient discomfort.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
No one here is arguing that missing is a horrible complication.

My main point is that doing this procedure when the likelihood of missing is high due to the fact that it is a skill that is not often practiced is irresponsible, and there is very little benefit to justify the risk or patient discomfort.

It's not responsible, I agree..

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Anyone else get this image of an ambulance driving down the road and the paramedic calls up to his partner, "Hey, John, slow down, I need to get this LP done!"

Almost as scary as:

"We are going to do an LP...

Just in case..."

It is often said in certain circles that if the kid is able to resist an LP, then they don't need one.

Aside from that, even by chance you are out in the middle of nowhere with a kid you suspect has meningitis, the LP is moot.

You are going to dose that kid with the best ab's you got while working on getting it to a medical facility.

Which will take far less time than waiting for an inconclusive potentially contaminated CSF culture.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Almost as scary as:

"We are going to do an LP...

Just in case..."

It is often said in certain circles that if the kid is able to resist an LP, then they don't need one.

Aside from that, even by chance you are out in the middle of nowhere with a kid you suspect has meningitis, the LP is moot.

You are going to dose that kid with the best ab's you got while working on getting it to a medical facility.

Which will take far less time than waiting for an inconclusive potentially contaminated CSF culture.

Exactly. Because who is really going to write home about that culture when it grows out something interesting?

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
Exactly. Because who is really going to write home about that culture when it grows out something interesting?

My money is on the lawyer who will be suing you shortly for any one of many valid reasons.

<_<

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I would not allow an LP by any level provider in the field for my child.

Hellz to the yes on that for me too!!

Work like that on my kid will be done in a Pediatric hospital.

Please don't take offense to that, anyone, but I just wouldn't be okay with that, as a parent, being done on my baby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
My money is on the lawyer who will be suing you shortly for any one of many valid reasons.

<_<

I think the culture can wait until the kid gets to the hospital without everyone starting their legal briefs.

WTEngel

M.Sc., OMS-I
Premium Member
We could hope...