What are you going to do when you retire?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I want to have a window bed in the nursing home and at least three sponge baths a week.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I already work well under half the year. My partner is 67 and still flying, I'd like to do the same if possible. So if my heslth holds up ill probably retire at 70 and then get fat.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I already work well under half the year. My partner is 67 and still flying, I'd like to do the same if possible. So if my heslth holds up ill probably retire at 70 and then get fat.
Same. I work 104 scheduled days a year add in some mandatory training and testing an it’s closer to 110. So less than a third of the year I am at work.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I mean, if you are just looking at the number of days you spend at work in a year, anyone who gets weekends and major holidays off and has a decent amount of of vacation works under half the year. I work 16 days a month, which is 192 days a year. Subtract 5 holidays and 32 PTO days and that drops me down to working 155 days total.

But when I think of working "1/3 of the year" in semi retirement, I literally mean only employed (in locums assignments) for a few months total, either in a row or spread out throughout the year.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Gotta say...I've seen a lot of folks retire...here's what I've learned...take nothing for granted. If not assisting other human beings in some way that are not retired, in my observations, you'll have a short retirement either because you drive your spouse insane or you die. If you don't have the money to live large (and I mean large), you will drive your spouse insane. They guys I've known that have successfully faded off into the sunset without a spectacular crash and burn are those that have some kind of social conscience and moral moorings.

Known a few that intended to fish and hunt and drink with abandon that made it maybe 5 years. Either died or came back to one degree or another. Grand kids really help modulating the perils of retirement....you've been warned....

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Fish and hunt while taking care of the property.

My folks said I'd be getting most of the guns and a parcel of land. So. I dunno.

I can't rely on them to leave me anything but if I do get land or assets, I guess it would be cool.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
My old company we used to joke about working until noon the day of our funeral, and having dispatch send us out of town at 1130 for a 6 hour 1 way transport when our funeral is at 1400

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Gotta say...I've seen a lot of folks retire...here's what I've learned...take nothing for granted. If not assisting other human beings in some way that are not retired, in my observations, you'll have a short retirement either because you drive your spouse insane or you die. If you don't have the money to live large (and I mean large), you will drive your spouse insane. They guys I've known that have successfully faded off into the sunset without a spectacular crash and burn are those that have some kind of social conscience and moral moorings.

Known a few that intended to fish and hunt and drink with abandon that made it maybe 5 years. Either died or came back to one degree or another. Grand kids really help modulating the perils of retirement....you've been warned....

”BOOM” mike drop.

Nailed it.

NightHealer865

Nationally Registered Paramedic
As soon as I get enough flight hours to get to airlines as a pilot, I'll retire from federal service. Being a paramedic for the feds isn't a bad gig though.

Emily Starton

Forum Lieutenant
I'm currently completing an online class for my life insurance license, and one of the topics is funding for retirement... I assure you, It's are boring as it sounds.....

So, my question for everyone is, what do you want to do once you retire?
I want to live peacefully, and investing my money or maybe planning to make a business.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I am retired! I retired in 2000 with 32 years of government service. Got into this gig about 5 years ago because the town I was living in was offering a course. Lo and behold I actually passed the test and got hired in that town. Later they paid for an intermediate class and I passed that test too. Then I had to move, but got another A job in another town. Work gives me something worthwhile to do and pays for my toys on my 96 off. I'll be 71 before this month is out.

Last edited:

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
I don't do this for my primary career (building inspector 40 hours a week), so when I can go at 55 I will probably continue to do EMS part time if my body is OK with it. Many of the fire districts in my region utilize paid medics in a fly car or ambulance, ranging from per diem to full time. I'll do enough to keep busy and earn some play money and/or pay off kid college money.

Ronfyre

Forum Probie
1) grandkids, 2) hiking/camping, 3) gaming.