we've all been there what did you do?

8jimi8

CFRN
It's also not your place to feed someone's addiction. It is your place to judge whether someone needs pain medication. If you want to claim to be a superior provider, perhaps you should not be admitting to something just as indefensible (not to mention potentially illegal) and potentially far more harmful than a nasal airway or sternal rub. Just my two cents....

Pt reports pain and I assess: severity(1-10/flacc scale/faces scale), location, quality, onset, duration, aggravating factors, alleviating factors, my actual intervention and the evaluation of the response to my interventions.

I'm not a lie detector, but I can see it in your face. if you report a pain less than or equal to 3 you get acetaminophen or some other non-narcotic analgesic. If you report pain 4 or > you get narcotics.

I know when someone tells me that they are having chest pain and they are allergic to nitro, that they are lying. But the still get morphine, because they still have chest pain.

Never once have I EVER said that I was a superior provider, rather I feel that I have encouraged people to be superior providers. I think you find that the majority of my response posts begin with asking a question about why you did what you did and encouragement to behave professionally.

I don't mind being called to task, but don't put words in my mouth.

I'd also invite you to read your own responses and see if maybe there is a bit of projection going on.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
The old Pain scale:

Photo+18.jpg

0: Haha! I'm not wearing any pants!

2: Awesome! Someone just offered me a free hot dog!

4: Huh. I never knew that about giraffes.

6: I'm sorry about your cat, but can we talk about something else now? I'm bored.

8: The ice cream I bought barely has any cookie dough chunks in it. This is not what I expected and I am disappointed.

10:You hurt my feelings and now I'm crying!

The New Pain Scale

painfaces0-6.png

painfaces7-12.png

0: Hi. I am not experiencing any pain at all. I don't know why I'm even here.

1: I am completely unsure whether I am experiencing pain or itching or maybe I just have a bad taste in my mouth.

2: I probably just need a Band Aid.

3: This is distressing. I don't want this to be happening to me at all.

4: My pain is not f**ng around.

5: Why is this happening to me??

6: Ow. Okay, my pain is super legit now.

7: I see Jesus coming for me and I'm scared.

8: I am experiencing a disturbing amount of pain. I might actually be dying. Please help.

9: I am almost definitely dying.

10: I am actively being mauled by a bear.

11: Blood is going to explode out of my face at any moment.

All content from above taken from here: http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/02/boyfriend-doesnt-have-ebola-probably.html

8jimi8

CFRN

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It's also not your place to feed someone's addiction. It is your place to judge whether someone needs pain medication. If you want to claim to be a superior provider, perhaps you should not be admitting to something just as indefensible (not to mention potentially illegal) and potentially far more harmful than a nasal airway or sternal rub. Just my two cents....

It is if methadone clinics don't do it everyday?

Like I keep trying to point out...

Even if in a provider's heart of hearts they may believe they are doing the right thing and not feeding the addiction. When the pt doesn't get their fix, they will go into withdrawel, and should they be brought to the attention of a healthcare provider, will be getting what they are addicted to anyway, with a much bigger bill paid by society. If they don't resort to violent crime which society will still be paying for at a much higher cost.

If they don't come to medical attention or that of the law and die from withdrawel or not paying a dealer, then the healthcare provider basically sent them out to die. Not exactly medicine's finest moment.

It is quite an ethical debate.

"How is this going to look on the evening news?"

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN
It is if methadone clinics don't do it everyday?

Like I keep trying to point out...

Even if in a provider's heart of hearts they may believe they are doing the right thing and not feeding the addiction. When the pt doesn't get their fix, they will go into withdrawal, and should they be brought to the attention of a healthcare provider, will be getting what they are addicted to anyway, with a much bigger bill paid by society. If they don't resort to violent crime which society will still be paying for at a much higher cost.

If they don't come to medical attention or that of the law and die from withdrawal or not paying a dealer, then the healthcare provider basically sent them out to die. Not exactly medicine's finest moment.

It is quite an ethical debate.

"How is this going to look on the evening news?"

At the very least we know that when we administer it, it is under the guidelines of physicians orders. Rather than finding them DRT with a syringe hanging out their arm scaring a busload of kids.

Last edited by a moderator: