Wear both NREMT and state patches?

emt27

Forum Probie
Just curious, does anyone out there wear both their state patch and a NREMT patch? If so, how are they configured? If not, and you hold both certs, then why not?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
At my previous company, I only wore the State patch and my company's patch. At my current company, I wear my company's patch on both side.

I wear what is provided by my company. At my previous company, we were allowed to wear different uniform pants. At my current company, we aren't even allowed to do that (even though most people do it anyhow, it's hardly enforced). I don't think they'd even allow us to wear it even if we wanted to.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
No one really wears the NREMT patch on their uniform, I've seen it on jackets occasionally. NREMT on left shoulder with state patch on right shoulder and no department patch, I think they do this so they can wear their jacket at more than one job.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Delaware doesn't issue a state paramedic patch. We all wear the NREMT-P patch. The older rocker patches are especially coveted.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
No way my current company would let us wear anything other than the state patch and the company patch on a shirt. I doubt they'd even let us wear an NR patch on a jacket.

Come to think of it, no one I've worked for would. And that includes volunteer agencies.

nwhitney

Forum Captain
We only wear our state patch and some co-workers wear a company patch for their dept. The only time I've seen NR patches worn have been on TV shows or movies.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We wear our county patch and our company patch.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
But it shows how qualified I am ;)

Umm. Yeah.

I currently only wear state patches. I've got an old uniform sweater I'm thinking of wearing more. Probably gonna put a flag and a NREMT-P (rocker) patch on it, for the heck of it. Then I can wear it across a couple of different places in place of a blank coat / jobshirt.

kaaatielove

Forum Crew Member
EMS here only wear the company patch and occasionally you'll see a state one. I've never seen an NR patch worn.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
for states that issue state patches, are they required to be on your uniform?

In both states I've worked in, we have not had state patches. I just wear the department patch. I've never worn an NREMT patch but that is also because I've never worked anywhere that that particular patch would be allowed. Most places have a prescribed uniform and deviations are generally not allowed (hence why it's called a uniform).

nwhitney

Forum Captain
for states that issue state patches, are they required to be on your uniform?

In both states I've worked in, we have not had state patches. I just wear the department patch. I've never worn an NREMT patch but that is also because I've never worked anywhere that that particular patch would be allowed. Most places have a prescribed uniform and deviations are generally not allowed (hence why it's called a uniform).

Oregon has patches but it is not required by state law to wear them. We have to have our level of training on our shirt and turnouts are not required to list your level. Also Oregon doesn't "issue" patches you get them from your employer or in the case of mine I had to go to a uniform shop to get my patch.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Oregon has patches but it is not required by state law to wear them. We have to have our level of training on our shirt and turnouts are not required to list your level. Also Oregon doesn't "issue" patches you get them from your employer or in the case of mine I had to go to a uniform shop to get my patch.

PA sends out patches w/ certs. As far as I know, there is no requirement to actually wear it, but it is the state patch. Most of the uniform rules I've seen that require a patch say "certification patch", and I've seen more and more folks opting to wear NR vs. PA

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
We wear jumpsuits with the company name on a name tape on right chest,and we dont have company patches. We aren't required to wear any patches, but we are allowed to wear NREMT on left arm, and whatever county patch were based in on our right.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The AMR operation in Colorado Springs wears NR patches on side and AMR patches that have "Nationally Registered EMT/Paramedic" in them as well as the County Emergency Services Authority logo in them. Very complicated.

Where I work we have a "slice of pie" shaped service patch on one side that everyone wears from chair cars on up through paramedics. The other side is a circular service patch that has your level on it.

Massachusetts has a state patch but it is not issued but can be bought at any uniform store. Some services use it, mine used to but stopped. I've got some partners with jackets that only have the state one on it so it can be used at other jobs.