We just got attacked...

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm sitting here posting near UCSD Hillcrest and I was just chillin out on my laptop when this transient comes up to my ambulance and was EXTREMELY anxious AND asks for directions to UCSD so I tell him how to get there, and he starts freaking out for some reason, so I got on the radio and call for PD and sit in the ambulance, my dispatch comes back - Are you in any immediate danger - and the guy freaks out wayyy more, and I say no, not at this point.

So the guy at this point takes down the middle of the street, and stops 2 other guys crossing the street on the median and starts talking/yelling at them. He continues running down the street a few seconds later, and a San Diego Fire Engine sees him, and lights up and sits behind him for a second, and they attempt to talk to him and he then just runs away from them North towards a hospital. A few seconds later, PD shows up and I give the officer a quick report of what happen and a description of the guy and he takes off to look for him.

This all happened hella fast and kinda freaked me out and my partner was in the back taking a nap. We weren't physically attacked or anything, but he went crazy on us.

---Cop just rolled up and let us know what was going on. They found him and picked up him and they got him now. I'm all safe :]

Yayyy for SDPD! haha

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Another reason to keep the doors locked at all times.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm rereading for how you were attacked.... Still not seeing it.

Misleading titles like that does NOTHING but give an already slandered demographic a worse name.

OP
OP
E

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Misleading titles like that does NOTHING but give an already slandered demographic a worse name.

Verbally attacking us, threatening us, swinging has arms around, running in circles.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Verbally attacking us, threatening us, swinging has arms around, running in circles.

Amen brother, and second that to always locking your doors and keeping windows up at least half way. What you just described could be debated in the court of law under legal definition of ASSAULT. Hell, him yelling and posturing meets my criteria, although Sotomayor won't be calling me as an expert witness.

An assault is carried out by a threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm. It is both a crime and a tort and, therefore, may result in either criminal or civil liability. Generally, the common law definition is the same in criminal and Tort Law. There is, however, an additional Criminal Law category of assault consisting of an attempted but unsuccessful Battery.
That was ripped from legal-dictionary.com
The title "attacked", is perhaps melodramatic, but isn't so far from the truth.

The transient comment doesn't necessarily slander the group. The recent thread "Woman eats baby" doesn't represent mothers as a whole, just like the Lucky Charm's leprechaun's mannerisms doesn't completely represent Irish lore.

The end result was the individual was at least PC'ed or perhaps hospitalized. Perhaps not a bad thing assuming:
-The individual may receive the social/physiological care he needs before coming to harm
-No bystanders or responders were hurt
-Perhaps no property damage occured (ex: car careening off the road to avoid colliding with said individual)

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
This all happened hella fast and kinda freaked me out and my partner was in the back taking a nap. We weren't physically attacked or anything, but he went crazy on us.

---Cop just rolled up and let us know what was going on. They found him and picked up him and they got him now. I'm all safe :]

Sitting post isn't so boring. Don't know why people complain!

Welcom to EMS :wacko:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

Yeah, he was attacked! And i don't know hwo you think is getting slandered... They guy was kinda out of line...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Considering that you yourself told dispatch that you weren't in immediate danger shows that the title was a little over the top. If you were really concerned about being attacked, you could have tried rolling up the windows, locking the doors, starting the engine, and driving to the next intersection down.

Furthermore, if this is the first time you've been yelled at to consider it being "verbally attacked," you've lived a sheltered life.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Normal day in the neighborhood.

It's hard to find a nice spot for lunch without someone demanding something. A lot of our visitors (or patients) get freaked out when they can't find the right entrance to the right building to the right hospital. Hence, metal detectors at every entrance incase they still aren't happy when they find their way in.

Keep your doors (all of them) locked when parked.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
your title says you were attacked but you weren't. :glare:

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
And?
Sounds like another night to me.
Keep your distance, at least arms length away. Stay confident, polite, and firm in your commands.
Hae an escape plan.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah, he was attacked! And i don't know hwo you think is getting slandered... They guy was kinda out of line...

For one, his OP didn't say that. And for two, if he was really getting attacked he could have handled it a lot better. You're in an ambulance...he's not.. DRIVE AWAY.

JPINFV

Gadfly
For one, his OP didn't say that. And for two, if he was really getting attacked he could have handled it a lot better. You're in an ambulance...he's not.. DRIVE AWAY.

but but but the protocol says we have to sit in THIS exact parking spot on THIS exact street corner.

/sarcasm.

traumamama

Forum Crew Member
they can call it attacked or whatever they want to call it. it would have made me poop myself. they obviously felt the need to share it with us so give them a little compassion and a little wisdom-like the locked doors but dont diss on them because of their choice of title. since we can't carry guns in our ambulance i am going to train a rattle snake to sneak out of my jump kit on command! I'll give them good reason to come in and ruin my night:p

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I hardly consider yelling and swinging arms to be attacking. It sounds more like ......... yelling and swinging arms.

Misleading title.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Wonder why the guy reacted in that manner? ETOH, Drugs,Mental Health Patient, ??? Medical condition. Maybe he just didn't like EMT's.:wacko:
Calling the PD was the right thing to do Exo, if you felt at risk.
I had a fun time once taking a self-harming pt to hospital. She was well behaved. It was her drunk sister, that had arrived home as we were loading the pt.
The sister said we weren't taken her anywhere. Wouldn't get out of the back door well, so we could close the doors and leave.Just carried on yelling at me.
My partner hit the panic PD button.
I was sure she was going to take a swing at me.
A family member and I ended up talking her down and we got on our way. We stood down the PD.
When we got to the hospital, our EMS boss was waiting for the ambulance to arrive.
He gave us a large ticking off, for hitting the panic button, then standing the police down.
I didn't see any point in them still coming, when the danger was over.
I know you are fairly new to EMS.You are always going to have people like that to deal with.
They see a uniform as a target or beacon at times, for the good or bad. At least he didn't pull a gun or knife on you!

Enjoynz