Washington Dog Phones 911 for Fallen Owner

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
RICHLAND, Wash. - Faith the service dog phoned 911 when her owner fell out of her wheelchair and barked urgently into the receiver until a dispatcher sent help. Then the 4-year-old Rottweiler unlocked the front door so the responding police officer could come in.

[ read more ]

As an interesting aside, we had a discussion on service dogs during our last EMS drill, and the policy for us is that if we're ever on a call and there's a service dog present, the dog rides with the patient, in the back. Anyone else have a policy/rule on this?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Ours is the same.

Luckily I love doggies. :)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
That's an awesome story. Good post!!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I work in the same city this happened in, and one of the guys I work with is a reserve deputy with the Benton County SO. I'll ask him about this and see if I can get more info on it.

Good post, and thanks for sharing.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Great post, thanks for sharing!

We also have a company policy that the service dog rides with the person in the back.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I had a call that involved a service dog. A 18 y/o L&D case in labor. My dispatcher notified me (after the call) that we were not to take ANY animals with the patient. That included Service Animals. I had already made the call (at the patient's request) to take the dog with us and leave it with the family at the hospital. I ended taking an unschedualed week off for that. But I would still do it again if it were presented to me.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm confused about that. What did your dispatcher base that statement on?

My understanding of the ADA is that service animals are exempted from almost all regulations involving pets (as far as where they can and cannot go).

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Nov 6 2004, 02:47 AM
I had a call that involved a service dog. A 18 y/o L&D case in labor. My dispatcher notified me (after the call) that we were not to take ANY animals with the patient. That included Service Animals. I had already made the call (at the patient's request) to take the dog with us and leave it with the family at the hospital. I ended taking an unschedualed week off for that. But I would still do it again if it were presented to me.
That's extremely odd. I commend you for doing what was right.

It is my understanding that:
1) Legally a person with a service dog has the right to have the dog ride in the ambulance.
2) Studies show that having the service dog transported with the patient reduces stress in already a stressful situation.

I'll have to ask around about this one, it seemed so straight forward to me.