Warm O2/Hypothermia PT

Hockey

Quackers
Was bored today and reading around and got to the topic about Hypothermia. Got my first poss frostbite/hypothermic patient. Arrived, patient was homeless, and just shivering. Shivering is better then no shivering.

Well in one of the treatments I was reading, was to give the patient warm O2. Only thing I could think of was to place a hot pack on the cannula. But even then, its not going to really warm it up.

I really don't think we have anything else on the rig that would "warm" the O2 up.

With the recent and future record cold weather have been having, I would like to possibly learn something new ;) My main thing is to get the wet clothes off and wrap the patient in the blanket.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The easiest way is to keep the O2 bottle warm (in the truck).

Hastings

Noobie
If your O2 isn't already warmed (humidified, left in the rig with the heat on), you aren't going to actively heat it while you're giving it to the patient.

Humidified is the way to go.

And related, even better, warm IV fluids. That one is a lot more realistic on the spot.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
You're not going to be able to do that in the back of the ambulance. The heated O2 will be done in the hospital. It will need active warming and humidifying of the O2 on a high-flow system. I'm not talking about a NRM. I mean a real high-flow system.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the ''heated O2'' thing. Just get them warm and dry as best as possible and an PUHA to the hospital.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
There was actually an interesting discussion of this a while ago, where the pros/cons of humidification in O2 were discussed. Searching is not a bad thing these days.

EDIT: Found the link immediately.
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=4740
It turns out, I started the discussion, then feel on my own sword.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
You're not going to be able to do that in the back of the ambulance. The heated O2 will be done in the hospital. It will need active warming and humidifying of the O2 on a high-flow system. I'm not talking about a NRM. I mean a real high-flow system.

So I wouldn't worry too much about the ''heated O2'' thing. Just get them warm and dry as best as possible and an PUHA to the hospital.

Alrighty thanks.

The patient I had only let me get a few layers (out of the 15!) off him before he started getting combative. He refused to sit on the cot and only the bench. Forgot we're the taxi in town ;)

I would have taken his temp but my department doesn't believe in giving them to us basics...:blink:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Humidifiers and cold don't mix.

Condensation in the lines can freeze. Humifidier reservoirs can freeze, especially if straight water. Plastic reservoirs can become fragile if cold.
I don't know but I suspect strongly that warm versus straight out of bottle O2 (which has not become cryogenic) is not going to make much difference for an adult, but even if it did, length of time to transport and difficulties in providing it almost certainly negate any (probably homeopathic) advantage.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Big thing in a hypothermia pt is to remember you aren't going to warm them up as long as they are wet. You have to get them into something dry. Also warm the core, hot packs to the femorals and brachials by placing on the hips and in the armpits.

With a pt who is still shivering, conscious and alert something warm to drink is also helpful if available.

OP
OP
Hockey

Hockey

Quackers
Big thing in a hypothermia pt is to remember you aren't going to warm them up as long as they are wet. You have to get them into something dry. Also warm the core, hot packs to the femorals and brachials by placing on the hips and in the armpits.

With a pt who is still shivering, conscious and alert something warm to drink is also helpful if available.

If I ever did that, the RN's at the hospital would FLIP

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
Was bored today and reading around and got to the topic about Hypothermia. Got my first poss frostbite/hypothermic patient. Arrived, patient was homeless, and just shivering. Shivering is better then no shivering.
With the recent and future record cold weather have been having, I would like to possibly learn something new ;) My main thing is to get the wet clothes off and wrap the patient in the blanket.

I have mixed thoughts about the blanket. Getting wet clothing off is a must, however covering over with a blanket might not be the best inside a warm ambulance.
I have heated blankets by holding them close to the heater and swapped out every few min. A blanket is nothing more than insulation.
Also used hot pacs like Bossy posted ,
Also warm the core, hot packs to the femorals and brachials by placing on the hips and in the armpits.
They need to be used with care as some can get quite hot.

http://www.answers.com/topic/hypothermia-treatment
Moderate hypothermia is often treated first with active external rewarming and then with passive rewarming. Active external rewarming involves applying heat to the skin, for instance by placing the patient in a warm bath or wrapping the patient in electric heating blankets.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant

just a quick question. about the hot packs. I was under the impression that hot packs could re warm the pt too fast and cause circulation problems. Or is that just in sever hypothermic pts? just a little confused about that.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I've had two hypothermic pts in the last three days. The first had a core temp (rectal), of 31.6C and took about 5 hrs to warm up to 37C. The second had a core temp (rectal), of 28.5C and took about the same time to warm up. Both got warm O2, gastric lavage and a warm air blanket (bear hugger), warm blankets and warm IV saline. Both are expected to recover but one may lose their feet.

Like many places it's been a mite chilly lately, (-25 to -35C).

WiFi_Cowgirl

Forum Crew Member
Oxygen coming out of the tank, makes cold air, going in makes hot. So, how much can you really warm it up with hot packs? I'd focus the warming effort to the victim, not the oxygen. Wrapping the oxygen hoses with heat packs is about the stupidist idea I ever heard. I've never even used the humidifier.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
just a quick question. about the hot packs. I was under the impression that hot packs could re warm the pt too fast and cause circulation problems. Or is that just in sever hypothermic pts? just a little confused about that.

Depends on the pack and depends on the way its placed. I have an intense dislike of the standard issue EMS/FA heat packs. They heat up too high, burn out too fast out date quickly and are prone to puncture and accidental activation. I much prefer the slower heating foot and hand warmers sold in retail. They hold their heat longer and are a much more gentle heat. In SAR I carry ziplock bags of ordinary deicer. Added to water from your water bottle or any available water source (not necessarily drinkable water) they create a nice little heat pack placed in a plastic water bottle, nalgene bottle or other water carrying device. They are light and durable and don't get activated until you add the water.

If you are using the regular EMS hot packs, you need to carry some sort of wrap so the heat isn't in direct contact with the patient's skin. We carry rolled stockinette cut to fit. We have also used towels or face cloths to use as a barrier. Aside from that issue, if you keep the heat packs close to the core instead of at the extremeties, you should be fine.