Volunteer during disasters

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
While I agree freelancing can cause difficulties, if something goes down and I am there, I'm still going to render aid that is appropriate to my level of training. Once appropriate manpower is on scene, the operations officer can decide if he/she wants to still utilize me.

Well said. But remember, "take five and stay alive"; don't become one more victim.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Well, there's a big difference between something happening while you're there and "inviting yourself to the party". The earthquake in Haiti was a prime example of a Charlie Foxtrot of self deployed "rescuers". The intent was good, and Lord knows they needed the help… The problem is; no infrastructure. There was no place to bunk them. No place to feed them. No fresh water for them. No command and control. It got better shortly after, but the flood of self deployed emergency responders that initially poured into Port-au-Prince was beyond manageable.

Last edited by a moderator:

bellatwain

Forum Ride Along
I've been to many places and it's nice to help not just during disasters but also in some activities that can help other.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
LOLz- Charlie Foxtrot and "take 5, stay alive"

Clever. I will use those at work and claim it as my own.

Thanks.