Video shows horseplay in EMT Lakewood EMS vehicle

Sasha

Forum Chief
...then why was the box truck sitting around most of the time with the chase car doing most of the spinning. The light bar doesn't add that much weight.

Maybe they were showing "What not to do"?

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This video makes EMS look like a bunch of kids messing around. You can't possibly argue otherwise. The supposed "professionals" are acting like little kids throughout much of the video.

This story was carried by the Associated Press to news organizations all over the nation. Thousands of online news outlets published the story, and many published the video. It was a stupid mistake and makes EMS look bad.

It's the same reason why I wouldn't go out drinking at a bar right next to work, it just doesn't seem appropriate. Sure most people drink, but it just doesn't look professional. When I'm at work, on work property, I act professional. I expect others to do the same, especially in EMS.

Buzz

Forum Captain
The way they did it was unprofessional.

Going to a vacant lot during horrible conditions and testing the vehicles handling on the other hand is just a good idea--as long as you don't get the rig stuck.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
How many EVOC lessons involve 3 people at night?

Probably should have more. Nothing like a little "black ice" to change things (especially my britches). When does the "bad" ones occur?

Okay, they were probably goofing off some. Guilty. Yet, with the new large trucks that most services has purchased almost everyone is agreement they do not handle ice and snow well. In point, we will no longer older any of the "larger" size due to this. Poor handling on slick (ice, rain, snow) and they get about half the gas mileage. Not to mention we can get the same size box for about $25k cheaper.

I have a problem with video vigilante's. Sure, let's be professional; as most know that is my soap box, but as well I know to interest "night time" crews; you have to be flexible at times.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a problem with video vigilante's. Sure, let's be professional; as most know that is my soap box, but as well I know to interest "night time" crews; you have to be flexible at times.

On a particularly slow day shift during my trainee days, we went to the Dollar Store and got a couple loafs of bread. We spent two hours feeding seagulls in a parking lot. Getting them closer and closer to the point where we could wad up a slice into a tiny ball and try to peg them with it. And scaring them with the air horn.

Boredom. Not just for night shift anymore! At least at night, I can sleep where there is nothing to do.

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
They were merely having fun and doing something stupid in a vacant lot, with no chance of endangering others.

So what, they were spinning around in circles during a snow storm. As Rid said, its another way to prepare yourself how to drive. Was this their intention? Probably not, but none the less they had fun. You guys can all :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and whine that they are not keeping a professional appearance all you want, but in the end they are just having fun and its being blown out of proportions.

Soldiers do stupid :censored::censored::censored::censored: like this all the time, they film it and they post it, Once in a while some lunatic goes ape:censored::censored::censored::censored: that soldiers are messing around in Iraq or Afghanistan and not keeping their professional appearance. Well guess what, everyone needs a relief. Whether its Fire, EMS, Military, whatever.

Hockey

Quackers
When we did EVOC, they had us do it in a parking lot in the snow and an area they cleared, and sprayed down to show us ice. How to accelerate, brake, turn, spin and recover and a few other things. Honestly helped out a LOT.

We were joking around saying put it in a spin and see if the best medic (who says never misses an IV) can still hit a vein :)

But it doesn't look like they were training or practicing.

But of course, I have no leg to stand on since I guess I go P-1 on a transfer....supposedly....:rolleyes:

Hockey

Quackers
They were merely having fun and doing something stupid in a vacant lot, with no chance of endangering others.

So what, they were spinning around in circles during a snow storm. As Rid said, its another way to prepare yourself how to drive. Was this their intention? Probably not, but none the less they had fun. You guys can all :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and whine that they are not keeping a professional appearance all you want, but in the end they are just having fun and its being blown out of proportions.

Soldiers do stupid :censored::censored::censored::censored: like this all the time, they film it and they post it, Once in a while some lunatic goes ape:censored::censored::censored::censored: that soldiers are messing around in Iraq or Afghanistan and not keeping their professional appearance. Well guess what, everyone needs a relief. Whether its Fire, EMS, Military, whatever.

What are you talking about? Your supposed to be perfect and never have fun?!?! Isn't that what some people say around here ;)

Sasha

Forum Chief
On a particularly slow day shift during my trainee days, we went to the Dollar Store and got a couple loafs of bread. We spent two hours feeding seagulls in a parking lot. Getting them closer and closer to the point where we could wad up a slice into a tiny ball and try to peg them with it. And scaring them with the air horn.

Boredom. Not just for night shift anymore! At least at night, I can sleep where there is nothing to do.

For a second I felt bad for the poor birdies.. then I remembered birds are the devil.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Lack of danger does not make it right. Fired.

You guys can all :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: and whine that they are not keeping a professional appearance all you want, but in the end they are just having fun and its being blown out of proportions.
Nope. I would strongly suspect that not keeping a professional appearance is a written policy violation there. Fired.

Soldiers do stupid :censored::censored::censored::censored: like this all the time, they film it and they post it...
So you're saying that it's okay to be a moron as long as other people are morons too? Sorry, moral equivocation is not a particularly successful defense when you violate the rules. Fired.

jason152318

Forum Probie
We can all sit here and say "oh they should all lose there jobs" but I am sure most of us are guilty of doing donuts in a parking lot.

medic417

The Truth Provider
We can all sit here and say "oh they should all lose there jobs" but I am sure most of us are guilty of doing donuts in a parking lot.

I've eaten donuts in a parking lot but never done donuts in a parking lot. Another losing point. Unprofessional actions = fired.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Not condoning what they did, but can all of you that have been in EMS for more then a week honestly say you've never done anything fun, or pulled a practical joke, using or being on company property? Ever?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually, I bet not. Most of us don't live in the frozen tundra, with California, Texas, and Florida being the most heavily represented states on this forum.

I find this kind of, "but other people do it too!" equivocation to be disturbing, but not surprising. People who assume that everyone else misbehaves just like they do is reminiscent of all the dopers out there who say "everyone" is smoking pot, or that "everyone" is driving drunk. Cheaters assume that everyone is cheating on their spouse, and thieves believe that everyone else is stealing. This personality flaw is one of the things we try to we try to discover and weed out in the pre-employment interview and psychological testing process. But obviously, a lot of agencies don't do any such interview or testing, so we get what we see here.

Not condoning what they did, but can all of you that have been in EMS for more then a week honestly say you've never done anything fun, or pulled a practical joke, using or being on company property? Ever?
Practical joke = horseplay and/or hazing, which is specifically prohibited by written policy in any professional EMS agency that is worth working for. Fired.

Last edited by a moderator:

jason152318

Forum Probie
I wouldnt recomend anyone doing donuts in an ambulance though. You might be asking for trouble. They are a little too top heavy for that type of stuff.

medic417

The Truth Provider

I am on and use company property daily what is your point with that? I am being paid to work not play practical jokes. I do have fun talking with my fellow professionals.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Really? Within the first 30 seconds, the ambulance (I'm not even sure it IS an ambulance, since real ones require 2 EMTs). You are right. It was stupid.

Soldiers are overseas, away from loved ones for MONTHS at a time.
No booze, no sex, no relaxing.
These are EMTs or less ****ing around. The ends to not justify the means.