Video shows horseplay in EMT Lakewood EMS vehicle

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Nice dodge, but didn't answer my question.
Sorry. I didn't mean to dodge the question. I simply found the greater point more relevant and important than an examination of my personal background, which is wholly irrelevant to any discussion of what is proper in EMS today.

Yes, I engaged in horseplay and practical jokes early in my career. However, I grew up. And that occurred probably before you were born. This is a new era in EMS. It's no longer just a job for immature kids at the funeral home with no education. Regardless of any mistakes I have made in my professional career, it does not justify the allowance of such conduct to be continued in our profession.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Everyone goofs off in EMS. Why castrate them?
Seriously, after all the intelligent discussion in this thread, still the best you can come up with is "well, everyone ele does it"?

That's not a point. You didn't make a "point". All you made was a rhetorical statement.

How old are you? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly

So if you were in Germany during the 1930's, it would be cool to commit genocide?

Just checking, Godwin's Law dictates that this thread is over now, right?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Seriously, after all the intelligent discussion in this thread, still the best you can come up with is "well, everyone ele does it"?

That's not a point. You didn't make a "point". All you made was a rhetorical statement.

How old are you? :rolleyes:

All intelligent conversation went out with your post right there bud. I'm obviously old enough to not act immature towards others in a discussion.

My points reiterated for you;

1. I stated I DO NOT condone their actions. I don't know how to better phrase that.

2. I asked why them? Why the big uproar when we've seen worse?

3. "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad

There is a difference between practical jokes played inside quarters, or the inside of the ambulance, and being a complete and total jackass in public view, even endangering the public.

No mercy.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
1. I stated I DO NOT condone their actions. I don't know how to better phrase that.
By failing to sanction against it, you are condoning it. And by condoning it, you are encouraging future occurrences of such behavior.

2. I asked why them? Why the big uproar when we've seen worse?
Read much? Similar immaturity receives a similar uproar here. Can you point to a similar thread where this has not happened?

3. "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"
Let he who thinks bad behavior is justified by bad behavior get a clue. Although I doubt you'll be in EMS long enough to ever see it, we're you ever to become a manager, you'd know the importance of discipline within a professional organization. If you don't react decisively to this incident, then others know they too can act a fool and suffer no consequences. No consequences = no rules. No rules = personnel that will do worse than simply embarrass you. It results in personnel who will defy you and land your agency in legal hot water sooner or later. When they wreck the unit or hit someone with it, what are you going to tell the jury your policy on horseplay is? "Don't make a big deal out of it"?

So what is your solution then? How would you handle it? And what exactly is the benefit to the organization of keeping these guys? This is New Jersey, where they are all EMT-Bs, and hundreds more EMT-Bs are being cranked out every year to replace them. They are of no overwhelming value to the organization. And if you replace a few of them, their replacements will better understand the importance of maturity and discipline in the profession.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
My God AJ, grow up.

A ) I'm 20, and already am a manager at my other job. Don't you dare try to take a condescending tone to me, and lecture me on maturity.

B ) Don't ever attempt to think you know me, as you clearly do not.

C ) I didn't post in any of my responses that I am against terrorist. Does that mean I sanction terrorism? No.

I wrote "I don't condone". Now, since you've missed it the first 2 times, I'll do it again. I don't condone what they did. Not condoning something means you don't agree with it. Just by the mere fact of me saying I don't condone something should instantly make "He's not for what they did" pop in your brain. I know you're an educated man, so please show it.

I generally shouldn't have to include each and every little detail when writing a post to get my ideas across.

If I say I'm not for something, 99.99999% of the time, that means I'm against it.

And I now feel a thread lock and warning PM coming on.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
If I say I'm not for something, 99.99999% of the time, that means I'm against it.
But not enough "against it" to do anything about it?

Now who's dodging?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
But not enough "against it" to do anything about it?

Now who's dodging?

I don't think what they did warrants being fired, plain and simple. There are many more avenues of punishment that can be taken that doesn't include screwing over their families.

Yes, they should be punished, NO they should not be fired.

And you're still the one dodging.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I answered your questions very specifically and honestly. I also addressed exactly how I would discipline.

You have done neither. Your generalities are not management.

So Mr. Manager, exactly how are you going to discipline these lamewads in a way that makes a meaningful and lasting impression on them and the rest of your organization?

reaper

Working Bum
Ok, and if they would have totaled $150k worth of vehicles, who was going to pay for them?

Firing is the best they can hope for. They had better hope that they are not blackballed in the whole area!

Stupidity and immaturity breeds ignorance!!!!!!!!!!

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Ok, and if they would have totaled $150k worth of vehicles, who was going to pay for them?
If any actual damage or harm was to be done, I'd be one of the first to say fire, but fact is, none was. Stupid is stupid, but stupid (sadly)isn't fire able in many states.

AJ, I'm done with you as you obviously cannot have a grownup conversation without trying to degrade your opponent in some fashion. Good day.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
AJ, I'm done with you as you obviously cannot have a grownup conversation without trying to degrade your opponent in some fashion. Good day.
Whatever, dude. Run away and play the victim if you like. But I just re-read this entire exchange to find out where I have done any degrading, and found nothing of the sort. If you're not up to an intelligent professional conversation, at least be man enough to admit it instead of trying to project your inadequacies on others.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

reaper

Working Bum
If any actual damage or harm was to be done, I'd be one of the first to say fire, but fact is, none was. Stupid is stupid, but stupid (sadly)isn't fire able in many states.

So, because they got lucky and did not wreack a vehicle, it is ok? Their punishment should be termination, period.

Yes, stupidity is a valid reason for termination in any state. Most people that are terminated, have been for acts of stupidity!;)

I am sure when this video was watched by their insurance company, that the rates went through the roof!