Veterinary Assistant

Emtgirl8555

Forum Probie
So in addition to bring a volunteer EMT. I've just been hired as a veterinary assistant. I'm way excited because I'll be like an animal medic. In really curious to see the similarities between people and animals from a medical perspective. PLUS I'll get to practice IVS with this position while finishing my pre reqs for medic school which should give me a jump on my skills. Any other jobs that yall can think of that would give this kind of insight / training with no additional schooling? I feel like I ve won the life lottery.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
But being a vet tech will give you an interesting insight. My lady is a vet.

OP
OP
E

Emtgirl8555

Forum Probie
Paid EMT in a busy system

to acquire a position in a "busy system" would mean relocating. Neither of my local ambulances give me enough time on the car even if there is an open position. My rural fire department gets me more hands on time than what id get in the year driving wheel chair vans.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Sounds like it might be a cool job, but I'm not sure how relevant it is to paramedicine......

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Well, Take an an IV as an example. Most vets don't use safety catheters, the technique to roll a vein in a dog is totally different than a human and you don't normally have to muzzle patients in the ambulance (although, occasionally it would be nice)

It's the same way you use a spoon to eat oatmeal and ice cream. The tool is the same, but the experience is totally different.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Conversations at home generally focus on how treatment is so different between the two fields despite being seemingly alike. Good for conversation but not helpful for me at work.

DogzRule

Forum Ride Along
Don't be too discouraged. It's all in how you look at it. I worked in the field of Animal Science for quite some time and yes, procedures are different. I think you can learn a lot about biology and life science working with animals. You can learn to become very observant and see things you may not otherwise see because your patients can't tell you what hurts, you have to figure it out on your own by knowing the biological systems and using your observational skills. In the grand scheme of things you can learn something from all life experiences, it just depends what you do with the information presented and how you understand it. Knowing it's not an apple to apple comparison going in can help you. Don't discount this opportunity as an important learning opportunity for you.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
If you want IV practice, go work as a phlebotomist in a clinic/hospital/Red Cross/plasma donation center.

Rosebit78

Forum Ride Along
I have my degree in veterinary technology. Alot of the medicines can actually be the same you will see your vet call in prescriptions at the local pharmacy even :) surgery and treatment will be quite a bit different though.