van ambulances

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ha! and YES they're trying to look like AMR.
Just saw one locally that used the AMR logo... but replaced the USA outline with a single state. Pretty impressive. AMR has obviously built some brand recognition.

My company used to run a couple trucks like this. We had a modified paratransit van that could hold a stretcher and we had two paratransit drivers in the truck to take Pts who didn't have a medical necessity but couldn't comfortably sit for the ride. Both people rode up front. We called it an ambulette. I'm still not sure how legal it was but we don't do it anymore
Legal - as long as you aren't billing for it as an ambulance. There is very little regulation in the paratransit side... because Medicare won't pay for it anyway.

As for the OP? I've worked BLS and ALS transport work in Type II and Type III's, and ALS AND BLS 911 in Type I, II, III's and medium duty trucks. Some are good, some are bad. Aside from working a code, I'd be comfortable with any standard call in a Type II.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
My station has four Type IIs and one mini-mod.

We often Tx CCTs with aircrews that come in with prisoners. In the back we'll have two from the flight team, a corrections officer and our company's attendant. Never had any issues other than bumped elbows on those with the type IIs.

I've got a buddy who works at AMR here (as a basic) and he's run 911s with medics in a type II, I've never heard him complain.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
We used to have Sprinters, with bench seats: it was great to take a nap on; the bench padding was about 3" wide so you just made sure that you had a cheek on both sides, and your driver never could roll you off the bench. And believe me they tried

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The major company in this area uses vans for BLS and ALS. The main ones are the ford vans but they are switching to sprinters. The only box units are CCT rigs. The vans get tight and working on the right side of a patient is really hard. They don't carry stair chairs but carry several backboards under the bench seat. As for being seatbelted in I have never seen a medic in the back of the unit wear a seatbelt when a patient is back there. The medics get pretty creative on where to store stuff in the unit.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Notes from Flinststone EMS

I notice the overhead litter hooks are gone??:rolleyes:

I worked in two types of vans, the original DOD Chevy's, and "stretch" Ford's. The better individuals had an outside hatch for the M cylinder, so it didn't have to go under the squad bench or wherever. The Chevy's leaked road dust into the storage and presumably exhaust fumes. Storage for little stuff was excessive; for the larger stuff nowadays, it could have been modified.

The Sprinters look to have a center of gravity versus lateral wheelbase issue.

PS: Ever worked in a Cadillac conversion or Suburban? Could get a little busy inside, but there was so little care compartment room you could not pick up acceleration in a crash to get injured. Except for the caps flying off and the floors ejecting in a rollover....

mct601

RN/NRP
The major company in this area uses vans for BLS and ALS. The main ones are the ford vans but they are switching to sprinters. The only box units are CCT rigs. The vans get tight and working on the right side of a patient is really hard. They don't carry stair chairs but carry several backboards under the bench seat. As for being seatbelted in I have never seen a medic in the back of the unit wear a seatbelt when a patient is back there. The medics get pretty creative on where to store stuff in the unit.

Your Ford vans don't have stair chairs? Our 2009 E-350 has a stair chair and 3 back boards. I like ours besides the fact that it just rolled over 100,000 miles and the steering isn't as tight as when I first hired on in August and it had just under 40,000 on it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
from the units i have seen and been in, no they do not have the stair chairs. some divisions dont carry KEDs and some do.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
We've got a few leftover Ford vans from an acquisition 2 years that are crap. Everyone avoids having to be in them. I think most are being pulled by this summer.

The rest of our trucks are 1 1/2 year old Sprinters and type 1s. The Sprinters are a mix of Medtec and AEV conversion. The AEVs are much nicer with a better layout and features. Both types carry Stryker stair chairs,KEDs etc.

As for the Sprinter looking top heavy they aren't. The handling is great and they feel less top heavy than the Fords.

Our type 1s still have hanging hooks and a few times a year we wind up hanging a patient.

mct601

RN/NRP
Odd, our AEV Fords are fine, but our company keeps them well maintained. I have not been in a Sprinter but from the looks of it, looks like patient care may be a little cramped?

jbell1955

Forum Ride Along
I spent my first years working in a van. Then when I worked for a service with the box ambulances, I was spoiled. I prefer the room in a type-III over a type-II, but economically the type-II is cheaper to buy an operate.

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
the company i work for is a combination department and we run 2 type III ambulances that are nice when they want to start up. we also have a type II which is mainly used by us career guys. the company is bls and we fit everything for licensure onto the type II but its not very friendly if your about 6 ft its cramped and fortunately i havent had to work a call in it but i have done many ift and bls transports in it to know it just doesnt fit for me. but still the most reliable in the fleet when it comes down to starting.