Using a stairchair, walking backwards.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I am almost always the taller person.

So I usually am facing backwards, going down the stairs.

I was coached to hug the wall. Also, my service usually has a total of four people so someone is always there to spot my back. Somebody palms my shoulder-blades as I go and announces how many steps etc.

I am anticipating the time when I will work a two person crew.

Any tips or tricks on handling being the backwards decendning person ?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Sometimes you might find it easier to grab the chair's bottom-front crossbar than the handles. If you do that, your partner at the top might also find it easier to grab the chair frame than the upper set of handles. Try it, see what you think.

Also, don't ever hoist the chair with the patient into the back of the ambulance. I can't believe we used to do that in NYC. The person lifting from inside the ambulance is risking a serious back injury.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Just take your time. It can be done. although for a 450+ lb patient i would suggest someone to spot you. You think getting the stretcher in the bus is hard try the stairs. It all can be done with practice. If we had stairs at my station i would constantly be practicing. like everything else in EMS practice makes perfect

phideux

Forum Captain
We have the nice stairchair with the treads on the back. The person in front can pretty much one hand their end. If you don't have a spotter, go slow.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Remember if the patient is too heavy, ask for a lift assist.. your back is not worth pulling/blowing out