Used auto injectors, what's a good way to safety them?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm teaching lay and professional first aid including "assisting" with using an epinephrine auto injector. Any from-real-life experience in how to safely hold them until EMS takes the pt away? (A cork comes to mind, we're talking an inch long needle). How about the tube some come in, or ??

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'm teaching lay and professional first aid including "assisting" with using an epinephrine auto injector. Any from-real-life experience in how to safely hold them until EMS takes the pt away? (A cork comes to mind, we're talking an inch long needle). How about the tube some come in, or ??

Stick em in a cushion or similar material? Obviously I would never suggest this to medical providers but for a lay person maybe. Place it flat in a cabinet or drawer? I wouldn't recommend telling them to put anything on the needle itself as this would vastly increase the chance of sticks so no cork or anything unless maybe you put the cork on the ground then stick the needle into it I guess. Just dropping it in a small trash bin is probably as safe as anything as long as you keep track of the bin and remember to have EMS take the needle out before leaving.

On the plane we have sharps tubes to use.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
In my non-EMS positions I've always learned to put the used injector back into the carrying container and then place the whole thing in a sharps container. If no sharps container is available I was taught to put it in some sort of hard-sided container (pencil box, etc.) to be handed over to EMS for proper disposal.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I wish some of the other auto injectors would copy EpiPen's new(ish) design and include some kind of shield that automatically covers the needle. Makes it a whole lot safer to handle.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

The older Epi-Pen (brand) generations (circular pen shape) with the exposed needle following administration should all have expired by now. The new model (with an oval-shaped pen) have an orange sheathe that comes over the needle after administration (and cannot be removed). Some of the non-brand pens remain non-safety needle (twinject and the Greenstone medical versions come to mind).

When teaching lay-responder classes, I tend to teach putting the pens into a ceramic (or similar) mug, needle faced down. The pen is not likely to fall out, and the needle cannot puncture the mug.

The "older" Epi-Pens would "Lock" into their tubes when put back after administration (after twisting the top, you cannot reopen it), and I believe that's considered a "safe sharp storage system". If placing the needle back into the tube, remind students not to place it back in by hand (like recapping a needle), but place it on the ground and manipulate it in using your feet.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I must be too young! I was always taught they had a self safety on them so you could use them as "fire and forget" and leave it sitting on the floor or bench seat until it was time to clean up! Good info to know!

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Before we switched to the new style Epi-Pen oval injectors, we used a kind that had a little chunk of styrofoam at the bottom of the sheath. When activated, the exposed needle sticks back in to the foam and the cap locks. So the whole thing stays in its original package

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I used an EPi Pen on myself, and dropped it back into the tube, with about a 3-4" drop; the needle went right through the bottom of the tube.

have never seen that before or since, but it was interesting that day

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
In a coffee mug placed where it can't be accidently knocked over, or a soda bottle which can be capped.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

The video shows a coffee cup, but I get a pucker when I consider "re-branding" something used for other purposes like drinking. Good to know that some are safety equipped, ought to be mandatory.
Dropping the needle and it goes through? I believe it. Sort of freakish, but for an instant that's a lot of lbs per sq inch (very sharp tip) hitting the exact bottom of a hemispherical tube, yeah.
And of course Murphy's Law.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
just leave it in the leg...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342188587.785233.jpg

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Military told us to push the Atropine auto injector needle through the pocket flap of the uniform and bend the needle, leaving it hanging there.

My thinking was if they were exposed to organosphosphate nerve agent the last thing they will be wearing (literally) would be fatigues (like BDU's but plainer).

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Why not just strike the needle on the ground and bend it sideways?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Wouldn't bending the needle just make
It into a fishhook...

I'm not sure about an epi pen, but the 2-Pam and atropine injectors we have will fit in a soda bottle.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
It into a fishhook...

I'm not sure about an epi pen, but the 2-Pam and atropine injectors we have will fit in a soda bottle.

That's not a bad idea. Or water bottle. Would they fit in a soda can?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
That's not a bad idea. Or water bottle. Would they fit in a soda can?

Doubt it. Atropine might. Definitely not epi/pralidoxime.

I think they are too long let alone not fitting through the lid.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
It into a fishhook...

I take that back, for some reason I thought the needle was short. hah.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I take that back, for some reason I thought the needle was short. hah.

Ya it is, but not THAT short. The epi pens have 1-1.5" needle. It goes pretty deep in the thigh.

It probably won't quite bend to a fishhook, but it will still stick you.