Use Skills or Lose 'em?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've noticed that the more and more I don't work regularly in EMS, the more and more I forget.

I think I'll always remember the basics, but part of me wishes I didn't so easily forget some of the finer points of EMS.

During our first EMS club meeting we did several skill demonstrations. While some of the people I worked with did an amazing job describing and showing skills, some of the students said remarked how different it was in class when I was alone demonstrating the skills. The hand placements for backboarding and rolling a patient, and just the general movements didn't seem as precise or accurate when I described them to the students.

How do those people who work in rural EMS or only see X traumas a month deal with the loss of knowledge?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Drills and scenarios. It's all about the drills and scenarios.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
How do those people who work in rural EMS or only see X traumas a month deal with the loss of knowledge?

after a few decades it's like ridin' a bike MMiz

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Mmiz, I can totally relate... I've been certified for a year now and I'm so afraid I won't get hired because I know I've forgotten a lot of the finer points. I still remember all my assessment info, and the basics but here we really don't use it because the medic runs the call. We pretty much fill out the paperwork and drive to the ER. I plan on re reading my textbook before I apply. I hope to God it'll be enough!