Upsetting...

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I think this got blown out of proportion. I treated the guard with the utmost respect and after explaining my side of the story, I obeyed his orders very politely. If you read my post, you would have seen that. My complaint is not that I dont get the right to use the fire lane as much as the fact that the guard applied his power unfairly towards myself and not the Police. Dont get me wrong, I do still feel that parking in that spot was my only option, and that I made the decision based on the fact that I was sure they would not mind because A, I wanted THEIR service and not the McDonalds a block down, and B I did not obstruct the public. My post was merely a venting to other EMS professionals about how we are at times treated like the red headed step child next to PD and Fire. I understand parking in the red is DE JURE illegal but atleast here in LA, it is DE FACTO policy and routinely practised by all agencies without harm or incident. Ventmedic, I think you are being unduly harsh. No one here suggested asking for special treatment, and even I find that notion deplorable. No one here has a hero attitude, and finding constant need to accuse us of it creates doubt in my mind about yourself.

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
**DISCLAIMER**
I am not in any way attacking daedalus. He just happens to be the poor unfortunate soul that has pushed my Many Diverse selection of buttons this time. This is actually directed to any one and every one who reads it. daedalus is just getting the brunt of it because well he made the mistake.(of pushing said buttons) Lead by example I always said even if that means make an example out of everyone.

No, I appreciate your insights. Im glad to here a guard's side of the story. I would be pissed too if everyone with a red lightbar thought they could trample my authority. Although it may seem like I was guilty, I assure you my intentions were sincere. After hearing you I have decided to be much more careful in respect to parking in private property, and how I treat security.

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Just a side comment, go ahead and park their but if some one with any authorty over says move you move. That would be like a civilian parking in an EMS reserved spot only, if you tell/ask them to move do you want to hear an excuse....no. I believe that if you do something your not supposed to do Ex: Park in the fire lane and your told to move, well than why not just move? Arguing or making up excuses holds up both parties time, just move on and maybe next time you will get a security guard that will let you park their.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Ventmedic, I think you are being unduly harsh. No one here suggested asking for special treatment, and even I find that notion deplorable. No one here has a hero attitude, and finding constant need to accuse us of it creates doubt in my mind about yourself.

Only one of my posts was directed directly at you. I do not believe you can speak for everyone that I made general statements about.

Your post just sounded like so many others that just want some justification for their actions. It is good that you didn't get too confrontational with the security guard and you only need to be responsible for your own actions, not those of the cops. Comparing yourself to the FFs and LEOs will only get you frustrated if you can not find satisfaction what your own title is.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Comparing yourself to the FFs and LEOs will only get you frustrated if you can not find satisfaction what your own title is.

Hear hear!!

TheDoll

Forum Captain
The "Fire lane" is in fact reserved for emergencies. I commend the Security Guard for saying something. I personally would have spoken with the cops as well. If I were in his position and I have been. I got my start at 18 as a rent a cop. Wonderful job and those men and women get a bad wrap. They basically do the job of cops for crap pay, more head ache and NO respect. I couldn't even begin to count how many times they have aided me or made my job easier.
Every one looks down on them because of the movies and misconceptions. But I will stop there because I could go on forever about the injustices they suffer. Fact of the matter is although it is a minor infraction it is still a infraction. Just because WE are marked units doesn't mean we can park any where we want. Not to mention it is private property so its under his jurisdiction and can do what ever he wants to have you removed. Ever seen an ambo towed.......Try explaining that to your sup's....
you make a really good point. also, i'm sure a lot of us know what it's like to work our asses off, be treated like crap, and have people still look down on us.
in general i treat people with respect--ESPECIALLY, if they are working regardless of the job. i will even be more mindful of being polite to these individuals. thanks for the heads up!