Unitek 2 Week EMT-Basic Boot Camp

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't imagine my program being condensed into two weeks and I imagine if it had I would have missed out on quite a bit. Are there are other programs around you?

OP
OP
E

EMSGIRL

Forum Ride Along
Thank you....

I agree.....

My niece was looking into it. She told my parents it was $4000.00 !

My ALS EMT course was $1200.00!

Totally smells fishy to me...as you and I both know, in order to be a good EMT, you really need a stong foundation in Basic skill and knowledge.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
I agree.....

My niece was looking into it. She told my parents it was $4000.00 !

My ALS EMT course was $1200.00!

Totally smells fishy to me...as you and I both know, in order to be a good EMT, you really need a stong foundation in Basic skill and knowledge.

Wow thats quite a bit. I paid around 1K for my program, it was 130 hours.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife.

We ask that members don't post multiple identical threads across the forum.

Here are some threads that you may find useful:

Accelerated (18 Day) EMT-Basic Programs
14 Day Boot Camp, ADHD, and A Good Program
Should I do the 2 week EMT program?
"Crash Course" Training?

Our patients don't deserve a good EMT, they deserve the best EMT possible. Having said that, I'm not sure such an accelerated program is conducive to creating such a strong foundation of knowledge. That, combined with the extraordinary (and unusually high) cost, should tell you enough about the program.

controversial

Forum Ride Along
Bunkie
I can understand your views but Unitek is actually really awesome. And while the class may only take 14 days, its 12 hours a day and a total of 168 hours. The $4000 you pay to go there is well worth it, it covers your hotel, food for the full 14 days, live scan, national registry, and books. Most classes are spread out and only a couple of hours at a time, but in this class you live it for 14 days. Its emersion learning at its best, and the students get 4 hours of lecture, 4 hours of small groups, and 4 hours of practicals and skills a day. Plus this class holds a trauma sunday (12 hours of MCI's and all kinds of trauma). During trauma sunday they flip vehicles, run ambulances, and do full patient assessments, and even bring in helicopters. The calls that they go on are actual calls EMS has gone out on, and are designed to get them to actually be able to deal with the worst of the worst senarios. The students have ride alongs and assess patients in the field. I have known quite a few people who went into these classes without past training and no real knowledge and just two weeks later they are people I would be proud to work with. I would say the kind of experience the students gets far surpasses most other classes.

Last edited by a moderator:

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Talk about dumbing down Education. These are the types of schools that make it hard for EMS to progress and move forward.

controversial

Forum Ride Along
"dumbing down Education"? :rofl:
Yeah right, these classes have more hours, and they aren't just here or there, the students live their training. They get trained well, they know what they are doing, and they know what they are expected to do. I would be happy to have graduates from there work with me. More importantly I would have no problem with a graduate from their school taking care of myself or my family.
I think a great many EMT's out there haven't been nearly as well trained, nor have they had a chance to experience what their students go through.
That's just my opinion though

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
"dumbing down Education"? :rofl:
Yeah right, these classes have more hours, and they aren't just here or there, the students live their training. They get trained well, they know what they are doing, and they know what they are expected to do. I would be happy to have graduates from there work with me. More importantly I would have no problem with a graduate from their school taking care of myself or my family.
I think a great many EMT's out there haven't been nearly as well trained, nor have they had a chance to experience what their students go through.
That's just my opinion though

So ignoring the troll like tone...

Exactly how much "training and experience" can you get in two weeks? There's agencies who have classroom orientation that's at least twice that.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why does this remind me of the infamous Universal Careers thread?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Why does this remind me of the infamous Universal Careers thread?
Unfortunately, this one is legit. There is one close by to where I live. I've met students, an instructor, and I've seen their MCI. I didn't see a helicopter though....

controversial

Forum Ride Along
So ignoring the troll like tone....

Alright, I admit I was a bit trollish on my last post

Exactly how much "training and experience" can you get in two weeks? There's agencies who have classroom orientation that's at least twice that.

I would say that has to depend on how much you apply yourself, the size of class to teacher ratio, and what resources are actually provided.

For example, if you have a huge class and a few teachers and limited resources.... your education might not be all that awesome, or you might not fully understand something. However if you have a good teacher to student ratio, and good resources, those same students are going to be able to pick things up fairly fast.

In this case the school seems to do a good job filling up their classes, but they have plenty of resources, and a great teacher to student ratio.

The only reason I believe in this school is because I have seen what they offer, and how they train their students, and how well their students truly know their **** after just two weeks. Hell it makes me wonder what their classes might be like if it was 12 hours a day and the duration of one of the other schools...

Last edited by a moderator:

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
Stick to a program affiliated with a community college. Can't go wrong there, and you get college credits which you can apply to further studies.

WaNewbie

Forum Probie
I dunno, seems kinda short and overpriced to me. I just graduated EMT-B last week and it was 130 hours and only cost $925. We spent over one week just getting our practicals done correctly, but like I said I'm a newbie, so I could be wrong.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
The only reason I believe in this school is because I have seen what they offer, and how they train their students, and how well their students truly know their **** after just two weeks.

so you're an instructor there, or a PR person for their school? or current grad...

either way, the program has a horrible rep out in the field here in the bay. keep churning out grads who fail the nremt or have absolutely no clue what they're doing on ride alongs or if they manage to land an ift job; whoever does their PR is tasked with quite the quixotic quest.

i do believe that condensed courses have their purpose (oil rig or iraq contractors who let their certs lapse, need to pick up EMT-B as fast as possible to continue their gig), however for the majority of the population and FIRST TIME STUDENTS SPECIFICALLY they are a TERRIBLE IDEA.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
As I have said in previous posts on this subject, my EMT course was 510+ hours with 110 hours ride time and 10 hours emergency room compared to this 2 weeks and 168 hours. And what is the NREMT pass rate from this 'EMT mill'? and how many have found employment through this program? All questions to ask. As a previous poster suggested forget it and go to a college to do the course.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
As I have said in previous posts on this subject, my EMT course was 510+ hours with 110 hours ride time and 10 hours emergency room compared to this 2 weeks and 168 hours. And what is the NREMT pass rate from this 'EMT mill'? and how many have found employment through this program? All questions to ask. As a previous poster suggested forget it and go to a college to do the course.

This is far above intermediate level requirements. Are you sure you took a basic course?

Tom Perroni

Forum Crew Member
My $0.02

First let me say that I am the Training Director for the Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy.

We run a 14 day EMT-B course. The state of Virginia requires 121 hours for EMT-Basic 112 hours classroom and 10 hours of ride along with (2) pt contacts.

In my opinion the student is better served 8 hours a day for 14 days in a row.....versus 3/4 hours per night for 2 nights a week for months......

We have run this program for almost 3 years. We have a 92% first time state pass rate.

40% of our students take NREMT with a 100% pass rate.

We limit the class to (10) students and have 3 Instructors. The key is that the same Instructors each and every day are giving out the same information. They are all experienced ALS providers.

This course is not for everyone.....You have to want to be here and you have to want to learn.

But let's be real once the student has passed the test and they are on an ambulance working with an experienced preceptor that's when the real learning begins.

My point is this… don’t knock it until you try it ….or talk to one of our students who has taken one of our courses.

I will admit all schools are not created equal. However please don’t lump us all together.

controversial

Forum Ride Along
so you're an instructor there, or a PR person for their school? or current grad...

either way, the program has a horrible rep out in the field here in the bay. keep churning out grads who fail the nremt or have absolutely no clue what they're doing on ride alongs or if they manage to land an ift job; whoever does their PR is tasked with quite the quixotic quest.

i do believe that condensed courses have their purpose (oil rig or iraq contractors who let their certs lapse, need to pick up EMT-B as fast as possible to continue their gig), however for the majority of the population and FIRST TIME STUDENTS SPECIFICALLY they are a TERRIBLE IDEA.

I live in the area, and yesterday I even volunteered as a patient for their trauma sunday. I admit that when I first heard about the school I was a little doubtful, and when they first started their school it wasn't all that great. However now many of the ambulance companies around the area like having them as ride alongs, and often hire their students. I don't know for a fact, but hear they have a good pass rate both in class and national reg. Running calls and laying hands on is where someone really starts getting their **** together. most of the students that come out of there have passed the class, but need just that....to lay hands on and really run a call.
I have seen people who have worked in the field make just as many mistakes, but the school catches a bad name by people who truly don't understand the nature of the school, or haven't seen what they have to offer.
If your in the area, and have the time next month they have a trauma sunday on the 18 (I think its the 18ths at least). Look them up and give them a call, see them first hand, and see where there students are after just one week.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
This is far above intermediate level requirements. Are you sure you took a basic course?

Yes, unfortunately Florida doesn't have intermediate levels only EMT-B and EMT-P. Looking at the NREMT website for the NREMT tests I can do a lot of the things intermediates can do except IV's. I guess I have been trained somewhere inbetween the two, sux big time.