Uninsured MVC

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
So, I am starting this barely EMS thread mainly to vent... I am not in a good mood right now. And I know that this, as a MVC without injuries, may not qualify as a EMS thread, which is why it is being placed in the Break Room section...

On July 4th at 1800 hours, I was paged out to respond to a broken leg (complete with a human attatched) out in the woods, about 3-5 miles from the nearest road. I got my gear together and started driving to the Cache to pick you the trucks and gear. Now, before we all get into a roar about responding to calls and the manner in which we drive to calls, let it be clear that I was not responding to the call, mearly driving to the Station in a POV, same as if I was driving to work everyday. I was not driving fast or aggressively, in fact I was 5 miles per hour under the speed limit when the incident happened, and (based on experience) was certain Fire would poach our call and we would be cancelled. I as driving on the road that I live on, a road where people drive way too fast on and kill deer every day; I hate that and always drive resposibily on my roadway.

I was about 1/8 of a mile down the road when a car (driving by an 18 y/o girl who had never driven this area) ran a stop sign an entered my lane virtually head on. I swearved dramaticlly to avoid a dirrect inpact. For the record, my vehcile is reenforced like a tank for rock crawling on old jeep trails. The other car... a 1990 toyota carolla... Who do you think would have won? In hind sight in fact... a dirrect impact would have casued a pin-in for her and might have killed her. My swearving resulted in me virtually driving over her hood, but avoiding the passenger compartment. Her car was undrivable (won't even start), while my SUV sustained major damage to the axel, shocks, and 4WD. While the Highway Patrol on scene said that she was 100% at fault... duh... the official report has yet to be completed. I have no vehcile unless I barrow one from family... I live remote and can't even get to the store without a car, much less to a SAR call or to a job. Expenses to repair my car? Undetermined. Estimates: 2k to 3k. Because my car is older (but in great shape) and I am a great driver, all I have is liability as far as insurance. So I am going after her insurance company to pay for repairs, towing, and the rental I will need to be getting... only to find out today that she may have lapsed in her insurance, therefore the insurance will probably not be covering the damages, and I may be SOL when it comes to geting my car fixed any time soon.

I AM NOT IN A GOOD MOOD TODAY... can you see why? What so ya think?

JPINFV

Gadfly
and this is why I maintain full coverage.

reaper

Working Bum
Unisured motorist coverage?

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
What do you have as far as a vehicular? Sounds pretty bad a$$. If she was uninsured and crashed she will be much more SOL than you are, granted it sucks for you, but she won't be driving for a a very long time and judging by the sounds of it, is a good thing.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have no vehcile unless I barrow one from family... I live remote and can't even get to the store without a car,

Welcome to my week.

Sasha

Forum Chief
What do you have as far as a vehicular? Sounds pretty bad a$$. If she was uninsured and crashed she will be much more SOL than you are, granted it sucks for you, but she won't be driving for a a very long time and judging by the sounds of it, is a good thing.

accidents happen. Doesn't make her a bad driver.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Have you tried Budget? Avis? Enterprise?

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
accidents happen. Doesn't make her a bad driver.

True, however, with she being at fault for obvious reasons and driving on the wrong side of the road let alone a road that she wasn't familiar with, as well as running the stop sign, tells me she doesn't have the cleanest of driving records. Just my opinion...

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant

Nothing says that she wont drive without a license. If she drove with out insurance she will probably drive without a license.

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
Nothing says that she wont drive without a license. If she drove with out insurance she will probably drive without a license.

Quoted for truth.

... as they say, "You can't fix stupid."

Sasha

Forum Chief
So I assume you've never gotten distracted for a second and not noticed a stop sign in an area you are unfamiliar with?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So I assume you've never gotten distracted for a second and not noticed a stop sign in an area you are unfamiliar with?

Sorry Sasha...being unfamiliar is even more of a reason to notice a stop sign.

Stop signs usually are not just arbitrarily placed, there are reasons for them. Your first clue would be approaching an intersection, decreasing speed limits or even the lay of the land indicate you may be approaching a stop sign.

Getting distracted for a second does not make one miss a stop sign. Being distracted for 30 seconds or longer does...which also leads to fatalities or near fatalities. She definitely is a bad driver.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Sorry Sasha...being unfamiliar is even more of a reason to notice a stop sign.

Stop signs usually are not just arbitrarily placed, there are reasons for them. Your first clue would be approaching an intersection, decreasing speed limits or even the lay of the land indicate you may be approaching a stop sign.

Getting distracted for a second does not make one miss a stop sign. Being distracted for 30 seconds or longer does...which also leads to fatalities or near fatalities. She definitely is a bad driver.

You don't know if that stop sign was conspicuously placed. Mountain lives in a kind of country area. I know from driving around Christmas, Eustis, Osteen or Brooksville (all rural country areas) it is very possible to miss a stop sign because it's dark or of an overgrown tree, shrub, or bush has blocked it, or it's under so much grafitti you can't tell what sign it is. (when they are placed for seemingly no reason). I'm just saying, don't paint people with a bad brush if you weren't there. Accidents do in fact happen and that doesn't mean that those involved in the accident are a bad driver.

Getting distracted for a second can make you miss a stop sign if you don't have time to brake for it.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, thus sux.

Which is why I have liability, comprehensive, collission and rental coverage by State Farm.

Recently I was the victim of a hit and run. I wasn't even in the car- it was parked. State Farm covered all the repairs. They even send the insurance inspector to my home! Amazing.

scottmcleod

Forum Crew Member
amen to that lol but stupid is job security for us lol

Never said I *wanted* it fixed, just that you can't fix it!

It's kind like permenant job security for us :p

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
You don't know if that stop sign was conspicuously placed. Mountain lives in a kind of country area. I know from driving around Christmas, Eustis, Osteen or Brooksville (all rural country areas) it is very possible to miss a stop sign because it's dark or of an overgrown tree, shrub, or bush has blocked it, or it's under so much grafitti you can't tell what sign it is. (when they are placed for seemingly no reason). I'm just saying, don't paint people with a bad brush if you weren't there. Accidents do in fact happen and that doesn't mean that those involved in the accident are a bad driver.

Getting distracted for a second can make you miss a stop sign if you don't have time to brake for it.

I still contend being distracted for a second does not make one miss a stop sign at this rate of speed. Being distracted longer does...hence this accident with near fatal consequences and her poor driving skills or lack of situational awareness in unfamiliar areas.

Save the girl power... :)

I live near Xmas and Bithlo... :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
What girl power??

You live near Christmas?? Oh god... You poor boy! Do the banjos lull you to sleep at night?