Ultimate Rescue Rick POV

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Is the light that triggers the opticom infrared? I'm thinking that one version of it was.

Maybe create a system where the opticom is either infrared or wireless, allowing the ambulance or other official vehicle to respond to lower priority calls w/o L&S but still trigger his light green for a faster response.

This is done in Colorado Springs CO for Fire, Police, and I believe AMR. The system uses GPS, and as long as the driver follows the route provided by the computer in the rig, all of the lights will be green on the way to that call, even if it's just a lift assist or something of that nature. It does have to be dispatched call, however. Some deviation from the planned route is possible I believe, once the truck gets within a certain range of the stoplight based on the GPS map the lights usually change.

NYBLS

Forum Lieutenant
Ahhh, but, if the POV hadn't been driving "code" then the blue truck wouldn't have had to yield to him and the motorcycle wouldn't have crashed.

I agree, the motorcycle driver is responsible for the accident, but it was the needless POV response that set the chain of events into motion.

And if some people didn't go outside and stayed in bed, they wouldn't die. Should we all stay in bed? No. Then why should a fire chief, EMT, firefighter, etc not be able to use a red response as they deem appropriate just in case theres some idiot on a motorcycle?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
And if some people didn't go outside and stayed in bed, they wouldn't die. Should we all stay in bed? No. Then why should a fire chief, EMT, firefighter, etc not be able to use a red response as they deem appropriate just in case theres some idiot on a motorcycle?

Because the idiot wasn't on the motorcycle?

Anthony7994

Forum Crew Member
LOL... all that equipment and some smoke got him that worked up. What an idiot. In Maine, ONLY the Chief can run a siren and any external lights. Everyone else is allowed one light inside the car. Most people just use visor LED's but I cannot afford one, as my crack habit takes all of my spare money. I do stick my head out the window and go "woo woo" from time to time though... when I know PD is already on scene.

My life story. :rofl:

ArcticKat

Forum Captain

Because the fire truck driver was responding to a child lost in the woods. Not a child injured, not a child on fire, but a child missing. Do you think that this missing child, who was found before the fire truck driver arrived, would have suffered greatly for having to wait for this one extra searcher to arrive about one minute later than he would have without L&S?

If this fire truck driver deemed this red response to be appropriate he needs to go back to whacker school.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Because the fire truck driver was responding to a child lost in the woods. Not a child injured, not a child on fire, but a child missing. Do you think that this missing child, who was found before the fire truck driver arrived, would have suffered greatly for having to wait for this one extra searcher to arrive about one minute later than he would have without L&S?

If this fire truck driver deemed this red response to be appropriate he needs to go back to whacker school.

It depends on his service as to if he gets to choose his response mode. We get called out for everything in code 3 (L&S) status (anything from tooth pain to full arrests). We have to respond code 3 status (unless bad weather) or we will get fired.

Dispatch tells us what mode we will be responding in and we have to follow it.

NYBLS

Forum Lieutenant

Some areas are not allowed to choose how they respond, it is placed in a policy that leaves little room for decision making. I will not second guess his decision based on what we are not even certain of. We have no clue as to what environment the child was lost in, the temperatue, the reported status of the child, etc. All we know if he used his lights and sirens, a motorcyclist wasn't paying attention, and crashed. Instead of concentrating on preventing the accident by eliminating lights and sirens, how about we educate the public better what to do when someone with them activated approaches.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Some areas are not allowed to choose how they respond, it is placed in a policy that leaves little room for decision making.

That is unfortunate.

Instead of concentrating on preventing the accident by eliminating lights and sirens, how about we educate the public better what to do when someone with them activated approaches.

I'll agree to do both, would'nt you?

Last edited by a moderator:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Not blaming the driver, blaming the system. We dont get to choose our resonse priority. Dispatch SHOULD do that.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Not blaming the driver, blaming the system. We dont get to choose our resonse priority. Dispatch SHOULD do that.

The only thing worse then policy based repsonse is dispatcher based triage. There isnt a way to determine what a call is from what a caller says it is over the phone. Once people realize that chest pain gets a ambulance quicker then back pain the whole thing goes in a handbag

I went on a pt c/o difficulty breathing and found a guy suffering from kidney stones

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
The only thing worse then policy based repsonse is dispatcher based triage. There isnt a way to determine what a call is from what a caller says it is over the phone. Once people realize that chest pain gets a ambulance quicker then back pain the whole thing goes in a handbag

I went on a pt c/o difficulty breathing and found a guy suffering from kidney stones

That's one of the main reasons that we respond code 3 to all 9-1-1 calls. Never know when that toe pain can turn into a severe bleed :rofl: