Truck Radios.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
It's time to discuss the serious, hard hitting topics for today's prehospital healthcare providers!

Do you share a truck with anybody and what do you do about the FM radio presets? Do you set them every tour? Do you just let them be and strategically tune around them? Do you set them on the Portuguese station just for laughs?

I've recently slowly started setting FM2 to my preferences after I realized the same station was 3 different presets.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It's time to discuss the serious, hard hitting topics for today's prehospital healthcare providers!

Do you share a truck with anybody and what do you do about the FM radio presets? Do you set them every tour? Do you just let them be and strategically tune around them? Do you set them on the Portuguese station just for laughs?

I've recently slowly started setting FM2 to my preferences after I realized the same station was 3 different presets.

I changed the station from country at my new place once and was hit by a joking barrage of comments questioning my sexuality. So now I only listen to my station when I am driving to the hospital. I only like one station so I don't have to screw with anyone's presets.

In Boston, it was the driver's choice, which was often my ipod. Partner had veto rights, but had to have a suggestion and could be counter vetoed.

OP
OP
M

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
In Boston you had so many NPR and college stations! WGBH, WBUR, WUMD and my fav WERS. Love me some 88.9 Rockers M-F 7-10

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Every shift on my unit (4 of them) like all 6 of the same presets so they never get changed. If I work a different unit and the partner doesn't care I'll change it to what we like then change it back when we get off.

during the shift my partner and I station hop a lot. We like the same music though.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Normally it's what ever the crew agrees on. Mostly it's country. I change the presets every time I'm on shift.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
In Boston you had so many NPR and college stations! WGBH, WBUR, WUMD and my fav WERS. Love me some 88.9 Rockers M-F 7-10

When I worked in Attleboro I was straight addicted BBRU out of Brown too. It was a sad day when we took transfers to Boston and lost their signal.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I generally don't mess with the presets. I set them when the bid started and they've pretty much stayed the same until it went out for service and thy disconnected the battery and reset everything.

Mostly listen to Pandora or Spotify from a phone. Keeps my phone charged, no commercials and not looping the same 15 songs all day.

Our new trucks you can Bluetooth the music rather than using an iPod cable and just plug it in.

I cannot get my new partner to give me any input on music whatsoever. After 120+ hours sitting in a little box together I've gotten one band and like two songs out of her.

Does everyone here have a unit that's assigned to them? Here each first seat medic is assigned a unit, for the most part or they'll have the same one every "Monday" and then another consistent unit for the other 3 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I generally don't mess with the presets. I set them when the bid started and they've pretty much stayed the same until it went out for service and thy disconnected the battery and reset everything.

Mostly listen to Pandora or Spotify from a phone. Keeps my phone charged, no commercials and not looping the same 15 songs all day.

Our new trucks you can Bluetooth the music rather than using an iPod cable and just plug it in.

I cannot get my new partner to give me any input on music whatsoever. After 120+ hours sitting in a little box together I've gotten one band and like two songs out of her.

Does everyone here have a unit that's assigned to them? Here each first seat medic is assigned a unit, for the most part or they'll have the same one every "Monday" and then another consistent unit for the other 3 days.

Our units have numbers on the back of them "M104, M110, etc". The unit is assigned to a medic number. So unit M104 will see the A crew and then the B crew. If we are low on ambulances due to them being out of service or special events we will some times have the units working 24 hours a day 7 days a week so the unit can see many crews.

SSwain

Forum Captain
We don't do IFT's or long transfers. (maybe a 20 mile to PT's choice hospital)
Typically, 95% of my runs are short enough I don't listen to radio. Plus it allows me to hear what is going on in the box behind me. The ride back to the station is usually quiet as well while we fill out our reports.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
In Boston, it was the driver's choice, which was often my ipod. Partner had veto rights, but had to have a suggestion and could be counter vetoed.

Tigger, I enjoy those rules. A lot, Kudos. :beerchug:

Oh and I had to give big ups to a Rockers reference. Boo-ya-ka! :beerchug:

When I was full time, It was often drivers choice...and depending on the partner I'd change it up, with the exception of Sports or Conservative talk radio (both are too repetitive in nature and makes the day seem like it is going for-ev-er)

Now that I'm per-diem...I do Full timers choice, since i have the "just a guest visiting" view.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We're not in the trucks long enough for it to be an issue... but seems like it's usually on either Rock or Top 40 when we're out driving around.