Traumatic experience happened yesterday....still shook up

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackC83

Forum Probie
I had a vehicular accident yesterday. The most traumatic aspect about it, isn't the fact that it happened, but that I have no idea what happened.

Well here's some background info:
A Large part of my job, includes driving. All my violations, all my accidents have occurred while on the job. And this isn't just local occasional drives from one part of town to the other... but rather extensive trips of hundreds of hundreds of miles.

Yesterday I was a little bit drowsy, but not too bad. Either way, I drove from Casper, to Rawlins, to Cheyenne. In Cheyenne, I got off the offramp... and somewhere between getting on the offramp, and just 10 feet in front of a vehicle... I lost recollection of what had occurred. All I remember is 10 feet or so before impact. It was a very lucid memory too. I didn't feel sharp. It kind of felt like that in between sleep and awakeness. Sort of like a ...sub attentive state. I was obviously oriented enough that I was able to steer properly... but not enough to properly judge distance... and didn't press hard enough on the brakes.... I ended up rear ending the vehicle. When I hit the vehicle, I was perfectly lined up... which means to me, that I was likely awake enough to keep my vehicle lined up properly with the curvature of the exit.

Thank God no one was hurt. The only vehicle with any real damage was mine.
I was so shocked... since I had no idea what just happened. I wasn't feeling too tired, when I wheeled into Cheyenne.

It made me wonder for a bit if I had a black out or had passed out. But usually when I pass out, I feel nausea. It also made me wonder if I had an absence seizure. But those usually only happen with kids. Perhaps, it was highway hypnosis.... and getting on the offramp... I didn't "transition" to local driving.

I am extremely ashamed of myself. I've been feeling completely worthless, feeling stupid, feeling as if maybe somethings wrong with my head or something. I've been upset thinking that my dreams of working in the medical field as an EMT are ruined. Luckily I know there is always Emergency Room Tech jobs... so my EMT-B cert isn't a total waste (I just passed my course with a 90% just a couple weeks ago).

I am feeling extremely traumatized by the situation. I keep replaying the accident over and over again. Trying to figure out what the heck happened. It brings me to tears. I have an extreme fear of the idea of even driving ever again. Its the fact that I don't know what happened that worries me, and traumatizes me so much. I've had accidents and near misses before... and in each instance, I had a lesson to learn. This time... I have no idea. Its the senselessness of it all... that traumatizes me.

I still don't feel "right". I still feel really shook up. I don't feel completely "mentally all there"... Like a cloudedness in my head. Not sure how to explain it.

Has this happened to anyone here before?
Did I suffer from an absence seizure? Was it a "black out"? Was it just highway hypnosis? Did I fall asleep at the wheel?
Should I seek counseling for my traumatic experience?

What other opportunities are there for EMTs and Paramedics, if driving is out of the question? Is it true what I've heard by some people here... that Paramedics don't need to drive? I'd have no problem working in ERs until I get my Paramedic cert.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Did I suffer from an absence seizure? Was it a "black out"? Was it just highway hypnosis? Did I fall asleep at the wheel?

We can't really give you a diagnosis because we can't examine you nor is this the appropriate place for it. If you have medical concerns talk to your primary care physician.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Should I seek counseling for my traumatic experience?

Rules said:
No Medical Advice
To ensure the safety of all members, EMTLife members are not allowed to provide or seek medical advice via the forum, private message, or via EMTLife's email feature. Information contained on or made available through EMTLife is not intended to and does not constitute medical advice or recommendations of any kind. Members seeking medical advice or treatment should contact their physician or local emergency services.

After working long shifts, especially overnight shifts, there were a few times that I drove several miles on the interstate where I didn't have any recollection of it.

OP
OP
JackC83

JackC83

Forum Probie
Just before impact, I did recall a few seconds. But it was really like ... "Woah... dude... react... do SOMETHING!" But I was in a zone... of some sort... and was hard to get out of.

I think, upon reading wikipedia... that it was highway hypnosis. You can drive pretty safely under highway hypnosis, provided that traffic stays steady, and rare.

But I get that medical advice is not appropriate to be asked about here. Sorry about that.

I guess I just needed to air out what happened. It was really traumatic for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Accident is exactly that... an accident..

its happened to some of us..

heck its happened to me when i was working at the IFT Ambulance company i was working a 48 hr shift and i was on hour 30 or something like that... i was talking to my partner we were at a stop light and i saw the left turn lane going from my peripheral vision and thought the light turned green (but our lane was still red) .. accelerated and slammed right into the car right infront of me.. luckly there wasnt much damage (bent licence plate, few dings).. i freaked out but i got over it because it there is nothing you can do to change it.. its happened time to move on

Driving at night can especially be dangerous.. ive had to drive home from Vegas (to california) at midnight.. pitch black in the middle of the desert and its hard... no amount of caffene or energy drinks can keep you from being hypnotized

but ive learned the moment you feel your eyes close.. take the next exit,park in a lot and take like a 10 min nap (power naps help significantly)

all in all take it as a learning experince.. and keep on applying to the ambulance companies, there might be one or two that might hire you..

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Accident is exactly that... an accident..

An accident implies that nothing could have been done to avoid it. I hate that term as an injury prevention researcher.

jhopper

Forum Probie
Christmas night I was on the latter end of a 48 hour shift. I had been playing a first person shooter game most of the day. At 3 am we were called out for a transfer 1 hour away. It was late, I became sleepy, I was sure that I saw a trailer on the side of the road. I swerved, and barely missed it! The trailers turned out to be a shadow cast by an overpass. It happens, and if you are predisposed to these syncopal episodes I con only imagine fatigue and stress making this more difficult.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
An accident implies that nothing could have been done to avoid it. I hate that term as an injury prevention researcher.

Which is why local law enforcement has gone to the term MVC (motor vehicle collision) and stopped using the word accident in their reports.

ShannahQuilts

Forum Crew Member
You might try reading "The Promise of Sleep" by Dr. William Dement, who was one of the founders of the Stanford Sleep Clinic.

He talks about sleep and driving, and makes some points you might find really useful. I found good material in there that helped me on long distance drives. (He also covers sleep in relation to a lot of other things - the book is just crammed with interesting stuff.)

The book is likely available at a lot of places. It's currently selling on Amazon in both new and used.

Also, I'd like to thank you, Chimpie, for being willing to post relevant rules and guidelines. I am finding it very helpful.

phideux

Forum Captain
One thing you said got my attention,
"But usually when I pass out, I feel nausea."
Do you pass out alot? Have you passed out or blacked out enough so that you know you usually feel nauseous when it happens? Maybe you shouldn't be driving until you get a doc to check you out.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
There are some very key clues (to me) as to why you can't remember what happened. I've seen more than a few people that have similar symptoms... and I think you should consult with a physician about it, sooner rather than later. The precipitating event is probably that highway hypnosis kind of thing. That happens all too commonly.

OP
OP
JackC83

JackC83

Forum Probie
One thing you said got my attention,
"But usually when I pass out, I feel nausea."
Do you pass out alot? Have you passed out or blacked out enough so that you know you usually feel nauseous when it happens? Maybe you shouldn't be driving until you get a doc to check you out.

Only once, spontaneously. The other times were after extreme exertion, dehydration, etc. I didn't so much pass out... as almost pass out.

The one time I "passed out" spontaneously... was when I just got up from sleeping. Went to my PC to upload some reports for work... and suddenly started going through "mini-syncopic" episodes. Basically my field of vision narrowed, I felt dizzy, nauseas, went in and out. I started feeling Paresthesia on the left side of my face and arm. I tried to get up, had little left side coordination. I spoke to myself to do a self analysis of my speech. It sounded normal. I even smiled, and confirmed I was smiling normally.. I was.

I stumbled over to my couch, and rode out the odd episode. I had a headache, felt nauseas, felt like throwing up, felt clammy, and then it all went away within a minute.

I drove myself (stupidly) to the hospital. At the ER they ran a blood test and EKG.... cleared me of anything. Doctor told me it was likely just a temporary blockage, or temporary loss of flow to a part of my brain. Said it was "Vertigo". Though I can't imagine how Vertigo would cause paresthesia. Perhaps it was something that affected the blood flow to my left inner ear. Perhaps I slept in an awkward manner, got up... muscles might have "Rearranged" in a manner that temporarilly constricted a blood vessel somewhere... who knows.

Doctor ruled out TIA/Stroke and any Heart conditions. He didn't prescribe me anything.... other than aspirin. Though he said he thinks EVERYONE with a heart and brain should take baby aspirin daily.

That was my ONLY ever... truly spontaneous syncopic episode. That was two years ago.

This didn't feel anything like it. It does feel like other times where I have gone into "highway hypnosis" mode...

I feel fairly confident this is what it was.

OP
OP
JackC83

JackC83

Forum Probie
There are some very key clues (to me) as to why you can't remember what happened. I've seen more than a few people that have similar symptoms... and I think you should consult with a physician about it, sooner rather than later. The precipitating event is probably that highway hypnosis kind of thing. That happens all too commonly.

What do you mean by "precipitating" event

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Something that causes something else to happen. A good example that we see as EMTs is a middle-aged man who gets into an argument, stresses himself out and has a coronary. The argument is the "precipitating event" for the MI. Without it, chances are good the subsequent events would not have happened. Alles klar?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Exactly. If you hadn't been "highway hypnotized" you wouldn't have crashed and wouldn't have an issue with not remembering the crash itself. If that makes any sense.

Think about this: you're not feeling the "familiar" nausea from passing out because you didn't. Those other episodes may have been caused by losing blood flow through the brain. Read up on GLOC (Not "GLOCK") or G-Loc. Very common in high-performance airplane pilots... They experience similar symptoms prior to LOC.

Your description of your symptoms are telling me you didn't experience that kind of event...

OP
OP
JackC83

JackC83

Forum Probie
Exactly. If you hadn't been "highway hypnotized" you wouldn't have crashed and wouldn't have an issue with not remembering the crash itself. If that makes any sense.

Think about this: you're not feeling the "familiar" nausea from passing out because you didn't. Those other episodes may have been caused by losing blood flow through the brain. Read up on GLOC (Not "GLOCK") or G-Loc. Very common in high-performance airplane pilots... They experience similar symptoms prior to LOC.

Your description of your symptoms are telling me you didn't experience that kind of event...

FRom now on... I'm going to make a point, that when I reach a settlement/town/city that requires me to "de-hypnotize" and re-adjust to city driving... that I will step out of my vehicle, stretch, maybe call someone on the phone to have a quick conversation with,... before proceeding to the exit.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
From the sounds of your thread , it looks like the States has still not looked at restricting drivers hours (and time at work) for your services.
In NZ it is law that all those that driver for a living..including the ambulance service,
are only allowed to work for a certain amount of hours, before taking a compulsory 'down time'.
This was put in place to try and avoid the amount of accidents caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
There are large fines involved for companies that break these laws.

Enjoynz

OP
OP
JackC83

JackC83

Forum Probie
From the sounds of your thread , it looks like the States has still not looked at restricting drivers hours (and time at work) for your services.
In NZ it is law that all those that driver for a living..including the ambulance service,
are only allowed to work for a certain amount of hours, before taking a compulsory 'down time'.
This was put in place to try and avoid the amount of accidents caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel.
There are large fines involved for companies that break these laws.

Enjoynz

If that were the case... I'd have to pony up the fine. It was as a contractor. So technically the business is mine.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
In classic form, there are similar laws in the US for commercial truck drivers.

However, ambulances are exempt.

It would cost a lot more to not run your employees into the ground.

Some more reputable places impose their own limits, but I haven't seen one place that requires limits at less than 20 hours.

The companies of course will hang the employee out and accept no responsibility themselves. Cheaper to replace one employee and that's what insurance is for right?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
you make me nervous

Sounds like one of the things:
1-you are a bad driver
2-you are an irresponsible driver
3-you have some medical issue

I would get myself checked out asap if this happened to me and it want because I was too tired, or thinking about my girl at home or somehow explained like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.