Transporting Multiple Patients

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
What's your personal record for number of patients being transported on the same rig, at the same time? Not that it's a contest of course, but who knows? Someone might have an interesting story. :p

So? Are you sitting at "One is the Loneliest Number", or have you officially moved up to "Clown Car"? And no, even if your partner is "mentally injured", they don't count. ^_^

Veneficus

Forum Chief
What's your personal record for number of patients being transported on the same rig, at the same time? Not that it's a contest of course, but who knows? Someone might have an interesting story. :p

So? Are you sitting at "One is the Loneliest Number", or have you officially moved up to "Clown Car"? And no, even if your partner is "mentally injured", they don't count. ^_^

2 adults and 4 peds from the same family.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
5 adults. Border patrol pulled over a U-haul truck with a bunch of illegal immigrants in the back. They were all dehydrated. We didn't want to bring our status level down to zero by using all the units. So we got 5 inside of our type 2 ambulance.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
5 patients from a minor mva and a 1 non patient. there were 15 patients in all. State police wanted them off the highway and their injuries did not require C-Spine.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
6 during a mock MCI.
5 in real life. Only 1 of the 5 needed transport but the family all wanted to go to the hospital to get checked out just in case. It was a single vehicle mvc.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I think just 3. It was traffic collision related. One on gurney, one on bench (both in spinal precautions) and one sitting in the captain's chair. It was a little crowded in the type 2... but not bad. We got close to clown car status during neonate transfers. 2 RN's, 1 RT, me, and a trainee... plus the patient in the isolette (and those things were HEAVY!!!). Did I mention that was a type 2, with a parent in the front seat with my partner driving?

Epi-do

I see dead people
6 adults

It was an MCI, after a tornado took out part of an apartment complex. They had all been triaged "green".

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
9 patients

4 on the bench
1 in captains chair
1 in cpr seat
1 in front seat
2 on the cot

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

4 from a serious MVA, 2 criticals - 1 on the gurney and the other bench seat the other 2 were placed on capts seat and front passenger. Only had em for about 30 minutes until i was able to dump 2 of em on our other ambulance then continued on to the trauma center another hour away

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Only had em for about 30 minutes until i was able to dump 2 of em on our other ambulance then continued on to the trauma center another hour away

That is longer than most urban transport times, I think that counts.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I've done 5 or 6 a couple of times. Sometimes it's just needed.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
As per NYS you can only transport as many patients as you have restraint systems for....not to say MCIs aren't strange circumstances and rules must be broken.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've done 3 on a few occasions. The best one was 3 in spinal motion restriction. Type III ambulance, one on the gurney, one on the bench and the other on the counter. The back of the CPR seat folds down to make a continuous flat surface there.

We can technically fit 4 in C-spine if you use the hanging flat but I would never want to subject anyone to that. Maybe a kid because you could turn it into a "bunk bed" to keep them amused.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Still at one since the company would rather bill everyone for their own private ride and we are generally not lacking ambulances in the 911 town. The only time I was faced with the choice was following a nursing home fight, I figured putting the combatants side by side would lead to no good things and another truck arrived soon after. A part of me wanted make it happen though...

med51fl

Forum Lieutenant
6 - 2 backboarded and 4 seated. They came from a boat collision. We ended up with a total of 19 patients on that call, 14 of which were transported.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
5. 2 were boarded (one of the cot, one on the bench), one on the CPR seat, one of captains chair, and one in the front seat.

and me standing in the steps of the side door as we drove to the hospital.

in retrospect, it wasn't the safest thing I have ever done (standing during the entire transport), and I probably should have called for a second ambulance.

rhstanford

Forum Probie
5 adults. Border patrol pulled over a U-haul truck with a bunch of illegal immigrants in the back. They were all dehydrated. We didn't want to bring our status level down to zero by using all the units. So we got 5 inside of our type 2 ambulance.

Did they put the rest of the illegal aliens in theback of one of thier Border Patrol trucks?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Did they put the rest of the illegal aliens in theback of one of thier Border Patrol trucks?

Nope. All needed medical attention. My ambulance took 5, co-workers ambulance took 4, and border patrol arrested the driver. Border patrol sent units to meet us at the hospital.