Tow truck problems?

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Alright, I hate to bit*ch but I'm going to anyway because I know that someone one here knows what I'm talking about. Right now I am sitting in front of the computer with my portable on. There is an MVA on the Interstate, but I am not going to go out there because they are already covering it. What's going on now is they are loading the pt. in the ambo. One of the medics asked if someone could "move that damn wrecker out of the road before it gets set fire to" in the background, but it came over the radio. I thought it was a nice remark to make over the radio, but I understand. On Interstate crash scenes, the bozo wrecker drivers always get right in the road. They park their trucks right behind the ambo, and of course you're parked in at an angle to load the pt. Then they get out there and stand in the road like a bunch of morons and pick their nose while you're running IV bags and extrication equipment back and forth. When you go to leave with a code 3 pt., it is impossible to get out of there because the idiots jammed you in. Or the only way out is to go down through the grass/mud median and go through it until you get past the blockade. It is a pain in the butt. Grass is bumpy as hell when you're in an ambo, and it is slow as hell because you can't go fast or you'll get stuck. Plus, if your rigs are really top heavy (like our Superchief XL's) then they wobble and tip and act like you're going to tip over when they do the ditch maneuver. Our Raiders aren't a problem at all, and God bless the folks at Braun for building such a ditch/mud/standing water resistant vehicle.

So who on here knows what I'm talking about? This really ticks me off when you're trying to get going code 3 with a trauma pt. and you can't even move because some idiot parked a wrecker behind you. The frickin' car will still be there all smashed up when we're gone and out of the road. It's the pt.that is perishable and must be treated in a timely manner. So move the heck out of the road and let the injured through. It's like standing in front of a fire escape when the building is burning. I hope someone brings this up at our next meeting.

So, to the wrecker operators:
-HOLD OFF AND LET US GET OUR PT. FIRST
-MOVE YOUR STUPID TRUCK SO WE CAN GET OUT
-DON'T STAND THERE AND ASK US WHAT EVERYTHING IS
-DON'T GET IN THE AMBO AND RUMMAGE THROUGH THE CABINETS WHILE WE'RE OVER IN THE DITCH NEEDING SUPPLIES
-DO NOT TRY TO MOVE THE AMBO TO ACCOMODATE YOUR VEHICLE
-DO NOT TAKE PICTURES OF THE WRECK/RESPONDERS/AMBO WITH YOUR CAMERA PHONE
-DO NOT PLAY WITH THE RADIO (MUSIC OR COMMUNICATION)
-STAY OUT OF THE ROAD OR YOU WILL BE ARRESTED FOR INTERFERING WITH EMS OPERATIONS

there, venting done. Had to straighten this out.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
In our town the IC tell's the wrecker where to park. I guess we have the luxury of being a small town.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Our wreckers always staged until the patients were removed...

Sounds like no scene control to me, maybe the issue is not with the tow truck drivers.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Our PD always had the tow truck operators park back away from the scene unless they were needed to assist with extrication.

have you ever tried to stop by their offices and have some training with them, or maybe over coffee? Maybe no one has ever politely told them that they were in the way.
Surprising what explaining something will do to the attitudes, might even help yours.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Our PD always had the tow truck operators park back away from the scene unless they were needed to assist with extrication.

have you ever tried to stop by their offices and have some training with them, or maybe over coffee? Maybe no one has ever politely told them that they were in the way.
Surprising what explaining something will do to the attitudes, might even help yours.

+1 Can't correct a problem you don't know exists.

I heart our tow truck drivers.

Medic744

Forum Captain
Our tow truck drivers are awesome. They stay outta the way but have been helpful when needed (not enough hands during a code and he held the IV bag for us). We only have one company in the area and know the guys well. We even treat one of them time to time when he gets busy and forgets to eat but sure doesnt forget to take his insulin.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I haven't even a tow truck within a stones throw of our scenes until pt's are cleared, PD has finished their investigation. Even if they felt like coming in, I'm certain the cops would turn them away.

Time to open some lines of communication my friend.

JPINFV

Gadfly
-DON'T GET IN THE AMBO AND RUMMAGE THROUGH THE CABINETS WHILE WE'RE OVER IN THE DITCH NEEDING SUPPLIES
Why are they in your ambulance to begin with? Regardless of everything else, that needs to be dealt with.

-STAY OUT OF THE ROAD OR YOU WILL BE ARRESTED FOR INTERFERING WITH EMS OPERATIONS

Good luck with that one.

Meh... it's public and they don't have any sort of duty to protect the privacy of anyone involved. It might be a good way to lose a few contracts if any really bad pictures gets out, but there's no legal requirement that I can think of.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Alright, I hate to bit*ch but I'm going to anyway because I know that someone one here knows what I'm talking about. Right now I am sitting in front of the computer with my portable on. There is an MVA on the Interstate, but I am not going to go out there because they are already covering it. What's going on now is they are loading the pt. in the ambo. One of the medics asked if someone could "move that damn wrecker out of the road before it gets set fire to" in the background, but it came over the radio. I thought it was a nice remark to make over the radio, but I understand. On Interstate crash scenes, the bozo wrecker drivers always get right in the road. They park their trucks right behind the ambo, and of course you're parked in at an angle to load the pt. Then they get out there and stand in the road like a bunch of morons and pick their nose while you're running IV bags and extrication equipment back and forth. When you go to leave with a code 3 pt., it is impossible to get out of there because the idiots jammed you in. Or the only way out is to go down through the grass/mud median and go through it until you get past the blockade. It is a pain in the butt. Grass is bumpy as hell when you're in an ambo, and it is slow as hell because you can't go fast or you'll get stuck. Plus, if your rigs are really top heavy (like our Superchief XL's) then they wobble and tip and act like you're going to tip over when they do the ditch maneuver. Our Raiders aren't a problem at all, and God bless the folks at Braun for building such a ditch/mud/standing water resistant vehicle.

So who on here knows what I'm talking about? This really ticks me off when you're trying to get going code 3 with a trauma pt. and you can't even move because some idiot parked a wrecker behind you. The frickin' car will still be there all smashed up when we're gone and out of the road. It's the pt.that is perishable and must be treated in a timely manner. So move the heck out of the road and let the injured through. It's like standing in front of a fire escape when the building is burning. I hope someone brings this up at our next meeting.

there, venting done. Had to straighten this out.

someone just came out from under thier bridge

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

there, venting done. Had to straighten this out.[/QUOTE]

Can u just ask PD to make them Move or leave?

The tow Truck Drivers shouldnt be anywhere near the ambulance compartment or in the driver and passanger seat unless authorized to do so..
Let alone Touching or playing with any of the equipment on the Ambo

if they are causing a big scene or an inconvenience, tell PD to take care of them. thats what they are there for.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
When I was still living in So Cal I spent two years working for a tow company that was an OPG (official police garage). We were under contract with several LE agencies, you had to be on the rotation list to respond to any call. Most of the operators were very well trained and knew how to work an accident scene. The California Highway Patrol demanded 10 minute response times when they wanted to get the roads open so many times we were there before the medics. Arriving before fire and medical was a very common occurrence when we responded to wrecks on the canyon roads between the valleys and the coast. I never had any issues with fire or medical like the ones you seem to be having.

You come off like the tow guys are out of their element, tow truck operators spend much more time working on the roads than medics do and its usually in an uncontrolled environment. Trying to get a car loaded up on a busy interstate while having your backside hanging over the white line is alot different than working a controlled scene with fire apparatus and other vehicles blocking you from open traffic. As far as having alot of time on scene to annoy the medics we often were to busy getting the scene ready to clear, there really was not alot of time to sit and BS. The only time we were standing around is if we were waiting for the coroner, often times we were used for extricating victims prior to removal by the coroners office. I think your experience is more the exception than the rule.

The CHP is deadly serious when it comes to its accident scenes, their number one goal is to get traffic moving ASAP, they should be the model for LE agencies around the country. They keep their tow companies on a short leash and constantly monitor them. On the other hand here in Portland and Seattle the most minor fender bender will sit in traffic and cause major headaches for commuters. The worst offender by far is Portland PD, they will flare off lanes while they wait for a wrecker. Any accident that does not need an investigation should be pushed,pulled or rolled out of traffic lanes. Do you work in an area that has contracted tow companies or are they all independents? I think if you went to the lead LE agency with your concerns they would be more than willing to whip the tow guys into shape.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I've never witnessed anything like the OP described, but I've only been doing this job since 1982...

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
Well the deal is we are kind of out in a rural area and have a tow service that is contracted with the county. So they automatically get all the calls that EMS and fire do. They like to stop at the gas station and get the jumbo sized coffee before they come out to get in our road and stand there drinking it looking stupid. They are a cheaper service and it really shows.

As for the deal with them fingering our rigs and messing with them, 3 of us are going to the director tomorrow and telling him how things are. I'm sure he isn't aware of the scene the wrecker drivers cause when they grace us with their presence. They are a bunch of arrogant jerks that think they're all that just because they drive a chrome covered flatbed with a little orange lightbar on top.

With last night's fiasco the Medics very politely asked them to move so the ambo could get out with the pt., but they were to busy standing there looking at the car. So, as usual, they ended up cutting down the median and bypassing the clog blocking the interstate lane. And of course they were in the big SuperChief, so I know they had fun going down through that ditch and coming back up onto the roadway.

And as far as I'm concerned they should be charged with tampering with medical equipment or something like that for ransacking our rigs. And then with emergency vehicle hijacking or something for driving our ambulances away from the scene so they can bring in their wrecker units. We are fortunate enough to have units where you can leave them running but you can take the key out and it is locked in park, so we all decided we will not leave the keys in our rigs anymore while on scene. Any advice on how to deal with this problem? It's really bothersome. And dangerous. Would've been all the same had those fools went to move that semi-truck sized rescue unit and rolled it over off in the ditch. Someone please help me with the legal aspects as far as what we legally can and can't do. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Sure. If they are seriously getting into ambulances without permission and moving them, then procede directly to grand theft auto. Similarly, if they're rumming through your equipment, then I'm sure that theft or similar complaints can be made.

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
Someone please help me with the legal aspects as far as what we legally can and can't do. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I would recommend, as you plan, to share the concerns with your director, and for your director to meet with the owner of the towing firm and/or the law enforcement agency that coordinates towing for the region. Your director should be polite, yet frank and clear, in his message of what is needed and expected on-scene.

I've never seen a tow truck driver move an ambulance, or rummage through the back of one. If this is actually happening, I would guess that neither your director, the owner of the towing company, or the police know about it.

If you see a tow truck driver moving your truck or going through it, your highest ranking officer or supervisor on-scene should immediately make contact with the driver and let him know your expectations of the towing personnel on-scene. You can be polite by asking, "did you need something in there?" or something similar the first time. If the driver continues to do such things after the problem being addressed, I would get your director or supervisor on-line, and recommend police action.

reaper

Working Bum
You are a student. This is not your mess to deal with. If the medics are having a problem with them, they will report it!

Stick to learning and not worrying how the system is run!

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
In my area, there are a few tow truck companies that might show up. One is extremely professional and can be pretty helpful. We like them. The other two or so do their job, but we don't interact much.

As for getting into ambulances, I've never seen it. Station rumor has it that a tow truck driver was once busted trying to steal a drug bag, several years back. He was an addict, obviously. No idea what eventually happened, but if people are still telling the story, it's obviously not a common routine.

As for moving emergency vehicles... not only illegal, but flat-out inconceivable.

OP
OP
paramedichopeful

paramedichopeful

Forum Lieutenant
In my area, there are a few tow truck companies that might show up. One is extremely professional and can be pretty helpful. We like them. The other two or so do their job, but we don't interact much.

As for getting into ambulances, I've never seen it. Station rumor has it that a tow truck driver was once busted trying to steal a drug bag, several years back. He was an addict, obviously. No idea what eventually happened, but if people are still telling the story, it's obviously not a common routine.

As for moving emergency vehicles... not only illegal, but flat-out inconceivable.

I will agree that it is unbelievable. I first found out about it from one of the Medics and it was a complete shock to me. I refused to believe it 100% until I was on a wreck and I saw it happen with my own 2 eyes. We are definitely going to get something done about this. Unauthorized people moving ambos around is completely dangerous. Not to mention they are expensive; I'm sure the department isn't wanting to stuff their own stockings this Holiday with a bill for 2 new rigs. In fact I'm going to talk to the director tomorrow and get this deal taken care of before people or equipment gets damaged.

Sir Young

Forum Probie
It's been said once, and i'll say it again for good measure. You're a STUDENT! Leave the politics of the day to day grind to employees that are getting paid to be there. Go home and study.