Too old for emt?

24verdicts

Forum Probie
Hi everyone. Ive been in healthcare for a bit now and have 5 yrs working in a hospital setting 2 of which in the ED as a eligibility analyst. I'm pretty much done being a paper pusher and the fact that my ex gf is now my supervisor...anyway. I just turned 35 and I know I would have take a significant pay cut but honestly that doesn't matter to me. I'm single and don't have much of a social life anyway. Are employers hiring us olders guys?

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I'm going to be 34 next month....... so no.

My instructor told me that locally there was a gentleman who went to EMT/P school when he was like.... 70? And he worked as a Paramedic for a good 15 or more years. Can you believe that?! So you can do anything you put your mind to!

Jim 2436

Forum Ride Along
I hope your not too old ,I'm 45 and am starting Medic school in the fall . If your old I'm dead.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
There was a dude who was 60 years old when I went through EMT. Some companies/ departments may have a age limit but don't let that stop you from doing what you want to do.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Hi everyone. Ive been in healthcare for a bit now and have 5 yrs working in a hospital setting 2 of which in the ED as a eligibility analyst. I'm pretty much done being a paper pusher and the fact that my ex gf is now my supervisor...anyway. I just turned 35 and I know I would have take a significant pay cut but honestly that doesn't matter to me. I'm single and don't have much of a social life anyway. Are employers hiring us olders guys?
Lol!!
I just laugh at this because my husband is 35 and I continually tell him we should use his senior discount.

OP
OP
24verdicts

24verdicts

Forum Probie
Good to hear! Thanks for the responses. Most of AMR guys and er techs are in their mid 20s or so. My work ethic and experience with patients will help me out a lot im sure. We'll see what happens. Can you guys recommend any good schools in the LA area?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Good to hear! Thanks for the responses. Most of AMR guys and er techs are in their mid 20s or so. My work ethic and experience with patients will help me out a lot im sure. We'll see what happens. Can you guys recommend any good schools in the LA area?
Most of the emt/medics where I work are in their 30's-40's. There's some young ones, but I would say the "typical"age range is upper thirties.

Jim 2436

Forum Ride Along
In my area most EMS workers are so overweight and out of shape, scares me. They can't even walk from their chair to Dunkin Donuts without being exhausted. I workout 5 days a week and am in better health then when I was in my 20s.

OP
OP
24verdicts

24verdicts

Forum Probie
Sounds good. Im in pretty good shape so that's a plus. I feeling good about this now.

phideux

Forum Captain
I got my Medic, second time being a medic in 30yrs, 10 days before my 50th B-day. As long as you are in shape enough for the job go for it. I just lost almost 60lbs, am hitting the gym 4 nights a week, am in better shape now than I was 20yrs ago. I can see myself playing in the back of an ambulance, or in the ER, for the next 15yrs or so. It's like a circus, "the greatest show on earth".