Too much?

brandont

Forum Ride Along
I will be going to school full time in the fall (17 hours) plus EMT class (5 hours) is this too much at once? I am a pretty motivated guy and think I can do it but looking for opinions because I don't know how tough the curriculum is.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
If you decide that's what you want to do, and prioritize it over what you're doing with free time right now, it's absolutely doable. I don't know what else you're going to school for, but EMT class is not all that challenging academically. If you set your mind to it, and carve out time to study outside of class, it shouldn't be a problem. 22 hours a week if I still remember how to do math? When I went to EMT school that in itself was 32 hours a week, and it was an accelerated class. But it goes to show this can absolutely be done.

rugbyguy

Forum Crew Member
You can do it, just know how to manage your time and recognize you will be choosing to do school over 99% of other things. I work full time for a pretty busy FD and am taking 16 credits, one of those being my anatomy and physiology 3. You can do it, life just sucks.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I was a fulltime student getting a BA when I got my EMT. No problem. In fact I don't think I really had to sacrifice all that much, just had to be more efficient with my time.

rugbyguy

Forum Crew Member
That's how I am now, just used to the craziness. Once I get my medic I plan on leaving my FD and working private in a large city near me with a university and getting my BA then, I actually think it might be easier than this summer haha.

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
EMT is a high school level class. I took it while working full time and had no trouble.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Dude I worked full time 40 hours and did EMT, if you really want it you will get it.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
All depends on what your first 17 hours consists of.

17 hrs psychology + EMT = no problem

17 hrs fluid dynamics with labs + EMT = big suck

EMT itself is easy, but it still takes time.

kristenpeace

Forum Ride Along
yes, doable. Just make sure you have it in your mind that you are going to be doing school all semester and putting aside any social life. I took the EMT class with 3 other classes (nursing pre-reqs), and i am a single mother of two and I held a part time job. It was intense and I spent my life that semester with my nose in books, but got straight As. You can do it if you focus, good luck.