To those who don't want to make EMS a career, what do you plan on doing

JPINFV

Gadfly
Just got a good laugh out of the seperation :)

Well, isn't it England where consultant surgeons revert from "Dr." back to "Mr." because of the tradition of being barbers?

On a side note, if going in for surgery in England, would it be inappropriate to request a haircut at the same time (provided not a head or brain surgery)?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Well, isn't it England where consultant surgeons revert from "Dr." back to "Mr." because of the tradition of being barbers?)

Yes they do.

On a side note, if going in for surgery in England, would it be inappropriate to request a haircut at the same time (provided not a head or brain surgery)?

I was part of a burn surgery in the US where the graft was going to come from the scalp as that was the only viable site, but after shaving his head, the previous donor site was found infected. The surgery was cancelled.

I liken it to the most expensive haircut in the history of man.
(I also made a comment about barber/surgeons) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

spraded

Forum Probie
I'm going to do something unrelated to healthcare, so I doubt you want to hear about it. =)

Check out the bls.gov site as they have interesting & fairly accurate articles on a variety of professions, including healthcare ones.

Of course, I'll like to hear them all!! ^_^

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
I would love to get more involved with research at some point. A medic I used to be partnered with started what is now a national cpr training company, as well as a supplier for AEDs. Another does product design and improvement for an EMS equipment supplier.

JPINFV

Gadfly
LECOM has a program (I think they were the first). They're rare and, in general, they cut out a bunch of breaks and a few rotations in order to cut off a year. They have 12 spots for it with 6 being required to go into primary care. Also, after thinking about it, it will be interesting to see how their match list goes with this considering that when match time comes around there will only be a handful of clerkship grades and step 1.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
LECOM has a program (I think they were the first). They're rare and, in general, they cut out a bunch of breaks and a few rotations in order to cut off a year. They have 12 spots for it with 6 being required to go into primary care. Also, after thinking about it, it will be interesting to see how their match list goes with this considering that when match time comes around there will only be a handful of clerkship grades and step 1.

Interesting. A step in the right direction, assuming it is done right (thought I probably couldn't necessarily define "right" at the moment).

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Just got a good laugh out of the seperation :)

Guidelines on the Practice of Orthopedic Surgery

-When faced with a big problem, the orthopedic surgeon should use a big hammer.

-The orthopedic surgeon should always wear a surgical hood in the operating theatre so as to reduce the risk of his head being transilluminated by the bright lights above.

-The orthopedic surgeon should always wash his hands before operating, as strict sterility is vital to modern orthopedic practice. Exactly how long the orthopod should scrub for is a common cause of consternation. These guidelines provide the following incontrovertible rules for orthopods to adhere to:

A medical student should wash their hands 30 seconds longer than the orthopedic intern when scrubbing.

Similarly the intern should scrub for 30 seconds longer that the resident, who in turn should scrub for 30 seconds longer than the registrar or fellow.

The orthopedic consultant, having washed his hands many times during his career, need only scrub his hands for a few seconds.

The exact amount of time depends of course on the rate of scrubbing, an orthopod who scrubs twice as fast as his colleague need only scrub for half the time.

-The orthopedic surgeon must be careful when scheduling post-operative follow up care. Nothing ruins a good result like follow up.

Guidelines on the Non-operative aspects of Orthopedics

-If in doubt… well you’re not really an orthopedic surgeon then are you?

-Save time by remembering the orthopedic auscultation point — heart sounds, breath sounds, bowel sounds and knee crepitus can all be adequately auscultated by placement of the stethoscope bell on the xiphisternum. However, such patient contact is best left to junior staff.

-The orthopedic surgeon must protect his hands at all times. For instance, if rushing to catch an elevator the orthopedic surgeon should jam his head between the closing doors and never attempt to hold the doors open with his hands.

-The orthopedic surgeon should know only one antibiotic, otherwise he risks being called a carpenter by colleagues from other specialties. Carpenters usually know at least two or three different antibiotics.

-Orthopedic surgeons should acquire expertise in research methodologies. The best way to develop competency in the conduct of a double-blind randomised controlled trial is for an orthopedic surgeon to read an ECG with a colleague.

Guidelines on Careers and Finances for Orthopedic Surgeons

-If a candidate is considering a career as an orthopedic surgeon and has half a mind for the job, he may be over-qualified.

-A candidates is deemed to have the capacity to practice orthopedic surgery if it takes him only 2 years to complete a jigsaw puzzle labeled ‘3-5 years’.

-All orthopedic surgeons should have a savings scheme. One of the simplest way to adhere to such a scheme is the textbook method. The orthopedic surgeon should ask one of his colleagues from the Society for the Prevention of Surgery to hide his money between the pages of a textbook or medical journal. That way the there is little chance of the orthopedic surgeon ever finding and spending it.

Guidelines on the Teaching of Orthopedic Surgery

-Orthopedic surgeons should emphasize the paramount importance of physiology to their juniors. For instance, the primary function of heart — namely, to pump antibiotics to the hip replacement — must never be forgotten.

Guidelines for other specialties dealing with an orthopedic surgeon

-Remember that the orthopod is the ‘rhinoceros of medicine’ — think-skinned, small brained and charges a lot for almost nothing.

I suggest that you copy these guidelines and slowly read them out loud to your favourite orthopedic surgeon at the first available opportunity.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
-A candidates is deemed to have the capacity to practice orthopedic surgery if it takes him only 2 years to complete a jigsaw puzzle labeled ‘3-5 years’.

:lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
OP, I chose Nursing over EMS. Before they'd invented EMS.

Personally, it worked out for me and gave me some opportunities, but was not a very uplifting experience overall due to interpersonal and employer/employee politics.
1. Do not settle for an AA and rush to work. Get at least a baccalaureate.
2. Know what you want to do, or at least where you want to do it, and then plan back from there. For example say I want to be a physical therapist, and live in Santa Cruz CA. Or either of the above. Look into costs of living, what the job pays in that area (if there are any at all), then what it takes to get there.
3. In the meantime, be taking your "underbrush" classes like Chemistry, English 101 and Statistics for Healthcare Providers so they are out of the way.
4. Go for it. You may change your mind or life will intervene, but without a realistic high target you will muffle about and waste your time.

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
No. I don't waste time on bridge programs. I didn't bridge from RN to medic. I did both RN and Medic from the ground up. I finished my bachelors of biochemistry as my pre-med curricula, I wouldn't take a Nurse Practitioner to MD bridge course if one did exist.

Why would you go RN > paramedic > NP > doctor? It seems like you could have skipped some of those steps.

Of course, I'll like to hear them all!! ^_^

Okay then, I'm studying Public Affairs with an emphasis on Environmental Affairs. I want to work for an animal conservation-focused non-profit/political org, and I will ultimately be going to law school.

I'm an EMT because I was originally pre-med (what unfocused somewhat intelligent undergrad hasn't been pre-med at some point?). Even though my goals have changed, I still enjoy the job, & as a per diem employee I can work around my class schedule. I might go to paramedic school & keep working in EMS per diem, because I'm really loving my A&P class, and it would give me more job security than my humanities degree will.

Zodiac

Forum Crew Member
**Nursing. I'm perusing a bachelors at the moment but I plan on eventually getting my masters and specializing in acute care.

**or Wildlife and Fisheries.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Why would you go RN > paramedic > NP > doctor? It seems like you could have skipped some of those steps.

Yes, I could have. However, I wasn't focused on the bottom demonator. This is what works for me, and I am damn happy I went the road I did.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
**Nursing. I'm perusing a bachelors at the moment but I plan on eventually getting my masters and specializing in acute care.

**or Wildlife and Fisheries.

Good luck. It's a long hard road. I take my Acute Care Nurse Practitioner boards on May 13th.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I would love to make EMS a career... however I'm greedy and want money. As of now I plan to get my RN, work "full time" doing the three 12hr shifts a week, then doing time on the ambulance for the fun, freedom, and autonomy that EMS provides.

If EMS didn't pay less than half of what an equivalent RN gets, I'd be happy... however that's not the case, and while what I make at 22years old ISN'T bad at all, I still want moniez.

Zodiac

Forum Crew Member
Good luck. It's a long hard road. I take my Acute Care Nurse Practitioner boards on May 13th.

Good luck on your boards! And it may be a long hard road but I think it'll be worth it in the end :D

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'll probably goto nursing school, then might apply to med school after I get my BSN.

I've also started a business venture with a friend that I have high hopes for.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
so what do those planning on doing in the other life??? -_-

In my next life I am planning a job with as little education and responsibility as possible.

I am torn between working the grill at McDonalds and being the guy who charges to use a powerpainter to spray suntan lotion on people on the beach in Australia.