thought it was just a myth-how stupid i was

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Yep... I had a day when I was doing -P school clinicals where it was WAYY too slow... only a few BS walk-in patients to the ED.... then one of the NURSES says "It's too quiet" I look at her and say "you shouldn't have said that"... we end up in the trauma room for most of the rest of the day, except for the code.... So yeah... the "Q word" is bad.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
We only have Q times when we have ride-alongs. EMT's who want to get some ambulance time for class or whatever. They show up and its pretty much gauranteed we don't roll a wheel.

Of course the minute they go home we are out all night. :sad:

ya I'm the bad luck at my station...when ever I'm there they get about ZERO calls...once as I was leaving they got a call and raced passed me :sad: lol another time one of the guys said "You might as well go home, we've already had 2 fliers and a mva" so 20 min later I got up and wen't home...I'm the curse :D

Last edited by a moderator:

pyroknight

Forum Ride Along
I'm the curse :D

I prefer to call myself a "white cloud". No one dies when I work. I speak of this phenomenon often both at the fire station and in the ED. The power of my belief makes for many a peaceful day/night for those around me.

I have worked with sh*t magnets though. I worked an average of 24 hours a week for nearly four years with my last agency. I worked ONE code. There was a guy I worked with who cleared the hospital from one code and drove up on a pediatric trauma code trying to get back to quarters.

My captain at the last fire department that I worked for told me that he had NEVER slept through the night at our station until I started working there.

I do not believe in the curse of saying "quiet", but I believe you get what you ask for.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
When my husband works a holiday, I will often cook a meal for the shift. I remember a particular Thanksgiving. We had just finished our pie and the guys were pushing back from the table and starting to think about what game was on the TV in the dayroom. I had brought a visiting friend to the firestation to help me with the meal and she pipes up with... "So, don't y'all ever get any calls?" Immediately following the horrified looks she got for asking that question came the tones for a fully involved structure fire. I'm still in the doghouse for bringing her to the station and that was several years ago.

94accord

Forum Crew Member
We only have Q times when we have ride-alongs. EMT's who want to get some ambulance time for class or whatever. They show up and its pretty much gauranteed we don't roll a wheel.

Of course the minute they go home we are out all night. :(

ha ha.. thats the way it is with me. I got to the station today and my friend comes in and was like "dude... where you been? we already had a gas leak and a brush fire!... oh and the guy you needed to see about your radio, yeah, he already came in and left." GREAT! this was at 10:30 am. So I unpack my gear and prepare for day at the firehouse. i was there for over 12 hours before i left after bingo... 1 EMS run, dehydrated pt, diarrhea x3 days, nausea+vomiting x7 days. joys. thats the only thing all day and all night on a Saturday! upsetting to say the least.

GayEMTNJ

Forum Probie
I'm one of those black cloud people. I always used to tell my partners that I'm never riding with them because we're always busy. After a while I realized it wasn't my partners but it was me.

More importantly, I'm known to have the most bizarre calls. If someone comes to the station and says "you'll never believe how f*&^%%d up this job was..." the first thing the crew now is "let me guess who was your partner."

I also have a tendency to find my patients completely naked for no apparent reason at all and there is no rational reason why the person would be naked. I've had naked men, naked women, you name it. I've had naked patients as the driver on an MVA, abdominal pains, unconscious, drunk in the parking lot in the middle of night behind a hotel, high sleeping in the brush in 20 degree weather, crammed between the bed and night table. I'm really beginning to develop a complex about this.:wacko:

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
So yesterday one of the ladies from my class was doing a clinical-there hadn't been any calls all day-as of two pm-she said to one of the medics "wow, it is pretty quiet around here"-the whole station house just looked at her like "oh my god, you just didn't say that". They kept giving her :censored::censored::censored::censored: about it-until no joke ten minutes later they get a call-the remaining three crews all got calls like an hour after that one-needless to say no one got back to the station until about 10 pm.

Now, I know it is true-not just a myth. Saying the "q" word. lol.........

See you just learned a good lesson for free lol. I also believe strongly in the q word being a curse and will let loose when someone says it lol. I am starting to become the angel of death at my service because everyone is either DRT or a code lately lol.

I also have this superstition that I believe in called a "code pillow". I always let my students know and my partner damn sure knows that the pillow opening always goes to the foot of the bed. I had a partner laugh until we ran 2 DRTs and then a code right after another. She believes in it and enforces it now too.

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
They told me that if the pillow opening goes up then you are going to run an OB call. And down is a code. So i guess it is just which you rather go on. Hatch a baby or work a dead guy?

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
They told me that if the pillow opening goes up then you are going to run an OB call. And down is a code. So i guess it is just which you rather go on. Hatch a baby or work a dead guy?

That made my morning :)

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
No one i work with uses the Q word. Every time some one does all hell breaks lose. We all believe in so strongly we wont even tell our spouses.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
We will! Hightech and I are teamed up today on a 24 and were real nervous. Now we are running scared!

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
me and rattletrap just want to say thanks to medman123. After your post we our shift went down hill.

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
Grrrrrrrrrrrr...................

You had to use the Q word didn't you!

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
what's the punishment in your area for using the Q-word? :p
strapping them in the back and giving them an oversized nasopharyngeal without lube seems like it could work... *evil laugh*

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
That sounds good to me Aileana, thats better than i was thinking. I just hope it dont follow me and Rattletrap to our next shift together friday.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
When I was doing my ride along I was so tempted to say something but I didn't I knew it would probably get me in big trouble plus I had to leave early cuz I got called into work...Perfect timing too I didn't miss anything :D

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I say it all the time when I am on call. Doesn't work.