Thniking of becoming an EMT.

Rookie_guy

Forum Ride Along
Hi all,

I am about to graduate college and am thinking of becoming an EMT.

I've talked to some EMT friends and its sounds challenging and exciting.

But I have some uncertainties, please help me by sharing your experience and answering these questions.

A) What makes a good EMT?

B) Why have you become an EMT?

C) Have you ever though of quitting? Why?

D) Are there things you don't like about being an EMT? What?

I purposely left the questions sort of open because frankly I dont really know much at this point but I also fill that way you can take answer it as it relates to you.

This could be a huge turning point in my life (from a psychology major...) and I just want to make sure I'm not going into a profession i'm not built for.

Thank you all I really appreciate this. :):rolleyes:

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
Search is your friend.

This has been asked repeatedly.

Search & look my friend.

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
I encourage you to use the search button as downunderwunda (by the way I love your signature, first time I've seen it) said, but I'll humor you -

A ) Knowledge, motivation and composure.
The more you know, the more you are prepared. Being prepared is 75% of EMS. Preparing yourself mentally is just as important as preparing your ambulance, your bags, etc. If you're planning on becoming an EMT-B and stopping there, I would suggest another profession. I'm an EMT who's taken separate ECG, Pharmacology, ACLS, PALS, PHTLS, Biology, Physiology and anatomy courses and I STILL only a fraction of what I need to know to be a good EMT. Motivation is key, because without it you won't want to learn more, and you wont want to work your 24s, 48s and 72s. Composure is just as important. You can be the most knowledgable, motivated EMT in the universe, but if you lose your :censored::censored::censored::censored: on scene, you will be just as useful as the frantic parent/spouse/friend making it harder for other EMS professionals to do their jobs.

B ) EMT --> Paramedic -----------> MD

C ) I've never been in a position to sit there and think "man this sucks, I quit". That said, I haven't gone to paramedic school yet so that's probably why.

D ) The pay. I took a huge pay dump transferring over to EMS. We're talking a 70% paycut. It'll be worth it though, soon enough.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
From a fellow psych major, it's not as much as a stretch as you might think--there are a couple of us on here. Even if you aren't in a program with much clinical contact or science emphasis (like many BA programs), you should at least be able to apply some of what you've learned. If you are in a program with more of those, you'll find it gives you an advantage in understanding medicine in general and interacting with patients.

A: Practice, a good attitude, composure, confidence, and a willingness to learn while working in a supportive role.

B: I thought it would be a good skill to have in case of emergency. I've continued in it because I enjoy it, and because I'm considering a career in medicine.

C: Yes. Constant sleep deprivation can be tough to deal with, and I can't handle it as well as most.

D: Of course. Nobody enjoys being soaked in bodily fluids, nasty patients, being exhausted, bad coworkers, or tragic scenes. Or being paid very little.

Edit: Depending on your intentions after graduation, an EMT cert can be useful. I have friends with Bachelor's and a basic cert who say it gave them an edge in getting patient-contact positions at psych hospitals (although it's hard to go above orderly or tech without a higher degree). I also know some people who became fire/police chaplains who started in psych. If you want to go to gradschool, though, it's probably not going to be relevant unless you want to specialize in trauma psych or similar.

If you want to make a career of EMS, instead of a temporary job after graduation, you'll be better off becoming a medic as soon as you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Rookie_guy

Forum Ride Along
Thank you all for your feedback It helps alot.
I think i'll give it a try after graduation and see if its something I could do.

The only thing that sort scares me the pay. How the hell do you guys live if the pay is so low and especially having to pay school loans and stufff?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
The only thing that sort scares me the pay. How the hell do you guys live if the pay is so low and especially having to pay school loans and stufff?

By taking second, third, and fourth jobs... which are often not in EMS.

atropine

Forum Captain
Hi all,

I am about to graduate college and am thinking of becoming an EMT.

I've talked to some EMT friends and its sounds challenging and exciting.

But I have some uncertainties, please help me by sharing your experience and answering these questions.

A) What makes a good EMT?

B) Why have you become an EMT?

C) Have you ever though of quitting? Why?

D) Are there things you don't like about being an EMT? What?

I purposely left the questions sort of open because frankly I dont really know much at this point but I also fill that way you can take answer it as it relates to you.

This could be a huge turning point in my life (from a psychology major...) and I just want to make sure I'm not going into a profession i'm not built for.

Thank you all I really appreciate this. :):rolleyes:

Look man first thing is first, you want to be a firefighter/emt, great money, *****ing schedual, and hot chicks nuff said.^_^

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Look man first thing is first, you want to be a firefighter/emt, great money, *****ing schedual, and hot chicks nuff said.^_^

...and you don't need a very high IQ or any reasoning skills... :p j/k

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
If you like fire too, go for both. In a lot of places, you'll get treated much better, and that includes pay/benefits.

Just don't join any systems that use ambulance time as punishment... ;)

Rob123

Forum Crew Member

The only solution I could come up with:
Volunteering in EMS and a better paying career in a different field.

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
The only solution I could come up with:
Volunteering in EMS and a better paying career in a different field.

I will be doing this. I have a nice career in an unrelated field and plan to volunteer, but you can always do per diem paid EMT work too if you want to supplement your income.

Scottpre

Forum Crew Member
I will be doing this. I have a nice career in an unrelated field and plan to volunteer, but you can always do per diem paid EMT work too if you want to supplement your income.

That's what I do: a regular decent-paying career and little bit of EMS volunteer and paid work on the side. It's sad how little private EMT's make.