This kinda pisses me off

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Yeah you heard that right Im pissed off - again.

As you know Ive been having one heluva time finding me a job - any job for that matter and nothing. Friggin nothing. Sadly there are way more EMTs in AR than EMT jobs and I dont have the funds or the means to move out of state to even think about getting reciprocity in another state such as LA, MO, OK, TN, MS, or TX. And that does not help my financial situation at all.

I have one year left on my certifications, if things dont improve anytime soon I may have to say bye-bye to EMS and wonder for the rest of my life what it wouldve been like to be an EMT or Paramedic. Because if I lose it, Im not coming back- I hate going down the same road twice, especially if the first time was a complete failure.

Im sending off yet another application tomorrow to Vital Link, with the hopes that I may get an interview - hey an interview is ALOT better than nothing at all.

This is my last ditch effort into EMS.

And what also doesnt help is that Im getting little to no support from my family in regards to EMS they dont seem to understand, and much less care. Im already hanging by a thread, not making into EMS and losing my certs would be the last straw on this camels back.

Sorry just needed to rant.

-CP

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Texas County Memorial Hospital in Houston Missouri just posted an opening for an EMT. Call Mary Barnes. Good Luck.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
Greater Dallas EMS always has openings, i cant tell you how often i get called early in the morning to cover someones shift, or cover an open spot. Dental and Medical paid after 90 days too. i can give you the info if you need it. rent's cheap here too!!! :p Let me know if i can help.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Great ideas! Especially since she can't move. The trick is to make prespective employers feel that you are more motivated and better at the job than the other applicants. If that fails, suck up.

Last edited by a moderator:

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
TTLWHKR said:
Great ideas! Especially since she can't move.

Exactly! I was thinking the same thing.

Capt. what about an ER or hospital as a Tech? At least you would be using some of your skills while looking for that dream EMS job. You could take your CEU's through the facility as well.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
does AK yank your cert if your not affiliated with a service Capt?

OP
OP
C

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
I dunno I havent received notice of my certs being yanked yet. All I know is there are no ER Tech jobs (I checked EVERY major hospital in this state) and there are no current EMT positions open. This really sucks.

And Im in Arkansas not Alaska. ;)

And what really really really hurts worse is, I cant apply for another student loan until I get my current one fully paid off so there's little chance of me even getting into a nurse or Medic program as I qualify for for few if any scholarships.

So Im really really really in a bind here.

-CP

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I'm in a similar financial bind. First of all for school: check with your school, there is a pell grant and a few other state/goverment grants that are available to people like us. I've gotten through school with them otherwise I'd still be filling prescriptions and cursing insurance companies.

Second: try doctors offices, walk -in clinics, a lot of times, they're looking for help, but not advertising, someone will be willing to cut you a break.

Good Luck sweety and don't let it get you down. You can make it work if you keep a positive attitude (I know it's easier said than done).

OP
OP
C

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Yeah Id love to work for southwest too but that is Arizona (AZ) and I dont have the funds to move out there unless they agree to pay for my relocation expenses.

Plus Id have to apply for AZ certification.

-CP

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
Something perhaps motivational in the 'ol e-mail Captain...

The population of this country is 273 million.
>>
>> 140 million are retired.
>>
>> That leaves 133 million to do the work.
>>
>> There are 85 million in school.
>>
>> Which leaves 48 million to do the work.
>>
>> Of this there are 29 million employed by the federal government.
>>
>> Leaving 19 million to do the work.
>>
>> 2.8 million are in the armed forces preoccupied with fighting the Al
>>Qaeda.
>>
>> Which leaves 16.2 million to do the work.
>>
>> Take from the total the 14.8 million people who work for state
>>government.
>>
>> And that leaves 1.4 million to do the work.
>>
>> At any given time there are 188,000 people in hospitals.
>>
>>
>> Leaving 1,212,000 to do the work.
>>
>> Now, there are 1,211,998 people in prisons.
>>
>> That leaves just two people to do the work.
>>
>> You and me.
>>
>> And there you are sitting on your a**, at your computer, reading
>>jokes.
>>
>> Nice, real nice.

~S~

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
CaptainPanic said:
Yeah Id love to work for southwest too but that is Arizona (AZ) and I dont have the funds to move out there unless they agree to pay for my relocation expenses.

Plus Id have to apply for AZ certification.

-CP

Promise not to tell anyone I thought you were talking about Arizona when you said "AR"? At leat I'm not a Geography teache... wait. PROMISE!

Sorry 'bout that, good luck on the search :)

OP
OP
C

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Well I got good news -
Two positions just opened up today for two diff services in diff parts of the state. Im filling out applications for both of them as I speak, and hopefully I'll land a job at the right one. It sure is hard to make a good impression via job applications.

Hopefully something good comes out of this, Id hate to jinx it though. I dunno.

-CP

firegal920

Forum Probie
Sometimes they might. Also try American Medical Response. I got a letter from them yesterday and they stated "relocation incentives". I know that this will not go over very well, but also look into the nursing facilities there. At least you will be in the medical field and it does look good on a resume in the fact that you can deal with patients, especially altered level of concious ones. :)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
What about...

Alberta? Albania? Algeria? Argentina? Australia? Armenia? Austria? Azerbaijan?
:p

1.) Firefighter, EMT & Paramedic Job Listing in Arkansas
*Must join Firehouse.com to view

http://cms.firehouse.com/content/jobs/job_query_action.jsp?stateId=5&positionId=0

2.) Emergency Medical Transport in Central Arkansas is accepting applications for Paramedics & EMT, FT & PT positions available call 501-622-8344.

Document ID: A0012-6A36
Ad Number: 35330166

Job Type: Regular
space.gif

Job Schedule: Full-time
space.gif

space.gif

Published in: Arkansas Democrat-GazettePublished on: 01/11/2006