Thinking about American Red Cross Instructor

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Does anyone out there have information or experience in teaching for the ARC? I'm thinking about it, but it's been years since I attended anything offered by the ARC and I know a lot has changed. Specifically, I'm thinking about First Aid type courses for the local chapter. Thanks, TF

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It depends entirely on the ARC chapter. I taught for them for some years. My current instructor cert expires this December and I will not be teaching for them in the future.

It's a matter of personal preference but I do not care for their new curriculum. They appear to have dumbed down both the program and the role of instructor. I think my experience as a provider and instructor qualifies me to do more than operate a remote control on a DVD and observe practice sessions.

But, I have seen a lot of variation in ARC programs from center to center so check it out with your local ARC.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I agree 100% with the post above. If the local chapter has an active Preparedness/Health & Safety program then you'll probably have better success. Then again, smaller chapters always seem to be hurting for instructors.

I, too, hate the new curriculum. "Practice-while-watching" was something that the AHA started and the ARC is now following. It makes those that are good, nah I'll say it, great at teaching feel helpless cause the DVD does the teaching for you. When they initiated the new curriculum I pretty much stopped teaching.

MRE

Forum Captain
I'm a Red Cross Lifeguarding instructor, which includes all of the CPR and First Aid courses the Red Cross teaches except for their First Responder course (Emergency Response).

I definitely hear what the others are saying about the videos, I have only been an instructor for a few years so I don't have much to compare the current curriculum to, but it is designed so that you could push play and not say another word until handing out the final exam. That being said, I usually discuss each video segment with my class, reiterating the important points and adding other information that I feel is beneficial to the students. I have found that the course is what you make of it, and those with good teaching skills and experience with the material can still make the course very interesting and worthwhile. Note: I have not taught the lower level CPR or First Aid courses so I cannot comment on them.

The new curriculum for the lifeguarding course has made some things easier and some things harder. The new videos however are exponentially better than the old ones. Now the students can actually see how the skills are performed from above and below the water. Neat stuff. My comments about teaching are true for this course as well, meaning that an instructor can still do a good deal of teaching during the course if they want to. What scares me is the instructors who don't.

Bottom line, the new curriculum drops the standard, but there are still instructors that teach to a higher one.

My 2 cents.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Bottom line, the new curriculum drops the standard, but there are still instructors that teach to a higher one.

My 2 cents.

Which is why the individual chapters are so different. I was told that instructors are to be 'strongly discouraged' from elaborating on the canned package. It puzzled me because the feedback I got on my classes was always very good. Unfortunately, too many comments included reference to what I added to the program. Even though they were complimentary, it was a deviation from the program and I was asked to stop.

I have taught under AHA, ASHI and ARC. I currently only certify under ASHI because they allow me more freedom on how to teach to the established standard. I still take the updated AHA instructor course to remain up to date on their standards, but I no longer certify with them. Our local chapter was a bottleneck on processing cards and certifying instructors.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Which is why the individual chapters are so different. I was told that instructors are to be 'strongly discouraged' from elaborating on the canned package. It puzzled me because the feedback I got on my classes was always very good. Unfortunately, too many comments included reference to what I added to the program. Even though they were complimentary, it was a deviation from the program and I was asked to stop.

I have taught under AHA, ASHI and ARC. I currently only certify under ASHI because they allow me more freedom on how to teach to the established standard. I still take the updated AHA instructor course to remain up to date on their standards, but I no longer certify with them. Our local chapter was a bottleneck on processing cards and certifying instructors.

I'm in the same boat. I maintain my cert for AHA because my part-time job requires it, but I teach ASHI/Evergreen Safety Council whenever possible because the AHA leaves out some very important material in their canned package.

Even though ASHI has moved to a more video based format, there is still lots of latitude in what the instructor can present to the class.

OP
OP
Tincanfireman

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
A very big thank you to all who have posted. I have seen the light (as well as the handwriting on these walls) and have made the decision not to waste my time. Consider this thread closed as far as I'm concerned.

(Note to our esteemed moderators: Of course I'm not trying to moderate this thread; I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the answer(s) I was looking for.)