The White Paper - twpmag.com

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Hi, all. I wanted to move the discussion from the JEMS thread into a new one. For those who've missed out, we're discussing a new magazine coming in Jan '17.

Check out the beta website here: www.thewhitepaper.strikingly.com

Please note that we'll move over to www.twpmag.com when we officially launch.

Also, the submission guidelines are up, so please consider contributing, and the email signup is now active, however no content will go out until launch.

Thank for the support. Please ask any questions and give any and all feedback!

OP
OP
Arovetli

Arovetli

Forum Captain
@DrParasite to answer your question from the other thread, the The editorial staff will be composed of 3 editors: myself, and 2 other paid editors: one physician and one an EMS business leader. I have a list I'm working down to get the best recruited for the job. There's a handful of people helping out as well, each with publishing experience. No formal board or corporate structure outside of the 3 editors and peer review team.

Also, we have a couple dozen verbal commits to the monthly magazine, so we will be launching to an audience on the first day! Please consider writing or peer reviewing for us (2% profit share for writers, no pay for peer-reviewers, however you get a bio and to publish a brief critique or support).

It's backed by a funded digital media startup, also.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Please consider writing or peer reviewing for us (2% profit share for writers, no pay for peer-reviewers, however you get a bio and to publish a brief critique or support).

Will you be publishing letters to the editor? And brief articles as letters, generally, a la NEJM's correspondence?

OP
OP
Arovetli

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Yes, absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am all for someone doing something new and possibly working for themselves. I like your concept thus far.

This is friendly "beta" feedback....and I do know a lot about choosing the right name and the right website. Are you sure you like the new website name you will switch over to?

My immediate impression when I read the new link was "mag"???..it cheapened everything up for me. There is nothing to read yet and I am already feeling negative about what I may find at TWPMAG....just the mag sounds so much like rag and is such slang, gives an unprofessional vibe....I just do not go to a "mag" for top professional articles, commentary, etc.

A name and a website address can make or break you by steering people to or from....I know you know this and sometimes in our development we are unable to see or hear what outsiders with no emotional or financial connection think or are unable to appreciate the feedback.

OP
OP
Arovetli

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Good feedback. How about twpjournal.com?

OP
OP
Arovetli

Arovetli

Forum Captain
@akflightmedic, here's a quote from EMSWorld's advertising section: "Magazines, like other forms of media, are not simply a commodity. They’re a pipeline that connects consumers with our clients’ brands."

The definitely isn't TWP, in fact it's our selling point over EMSWorld and JEMS.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Well...journal is in the right direction. Not entirely sold on it but again I am one voice offering my feelings and perspectives. I dont want to change your whole mojo if you feel good about one direction.

I know what white papers are as I have written a few. So I get the concept of calling your site The White Paper and you have chosen something which is easily remembered, an easily justifiable/explainable name and one which can be shortened with brand recognition over time (which you are already doing yourself when you say TWP).

But when you say this out loud...The White Paper Journal...does it flow, does it sound cohesive? Does it go to the other extreme of sounding too cerebral? Cerebral is good, but we do not want to alienate certain markets. We hope the name is catchy enough to intrigue them, they expect low brow articles and instead are razzle dazzled with great content, challenges and feel stimulated to learn more or become better in the EMS profession.

The White Paper Review kind of flows and is in sync with what a white paper is...unsure what else, that is just my immediate thoughts. You are pigeonholed slightly with the White Paper name...if I have anything else of consequence to share, I will circle back.

OP
OP
Arovetli

Arovetli

Forum Captain
I love Review. Differentiates from JEMS!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but "...it found it's voice..." should be "...it found its voice..." on your home page.

OP
OP
Arovetli

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Yes. Thx. I changed that a couple days ago but it seems the change didn't make it out. Thank you all for the feedback, keep it coming!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Yes. Thx. I changed that a couple days ago but it seems the change didn't make it out. Thank you all for the feedback, keep it coming!

sent you a few pm's

OP
OP
Arovetli

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Hi again, just wanted to update that several EMS rockstars, including folks from EMTlife, have stepped forward offering to help out and join the peer review team. If that sounds like it may be up your alley, message me your email address and I'll get you all the info ASAP. Thanks again.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
No RSS feeds? That’s sad. I know it’s an “old” technology, but it really helps me manage what I read better.

I’m not crazy about the format of https://www.emswhitepaper.com/news/ on my computer. The typeface is a far too large, and it would be great to have a little bit more info than just the headline. That same page on my iPhone has the same problem, but it’s not as bad. Slightly smaller text, with more content would be great. The date before the headline, and online with the text looks off. Could you do the date as a heading instead of repeating it multiple times on the page? Then group all the articles from the same date together under the heading?

There isn’t a privacy policy on your contact form.

Good luck on the project.

OP
OP
Arovetli

Arovetli

Forum Captain
Hi, Mike,

Good to hear from you - thanks for the feedback. We're still in beta throughout December and not everything is online and/or appearing.

YES! to RSS, and we will also syndicate through Apple News/iTunes as well as Feedly.

Those pages, such as /news, won't appear in navigation and won't be visible, they were only there due to continued work. I went ahead and hid them, if you'd like to look at the navigation now.