The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

Codz

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone. My name is Alec, and I'm hoping to get into an EMT-B program within the next year. I grew up in the Atlanta area, and am interested in a career in EMS there, or potentially elsewhere. Not much more to say than that I guess.

Mtnmedic

Forum Probie
Michael. I'll be 50 in December. Paramedic. I live in Oregon. Fire Chief of a very small frontier all-volunteer fire department I single-handedly built the ground up from literally nothing. We're in an isolated area where the nearest aid comes 45 minutes to over an hour later. I've been involved with EMS/Fire-rescue since 1979 starting with the FD where I grew up in southern Oregon (fighting fires and driving engines since I was 15). I became and EMT in 1982, started as a career ambulanceman in 1983. Pretty much all I have done my whole adult life. I have worked in both CA (SoCal and NorCal) and OR with a short stint in North Dakota.

OR Paramedic and NREMT-P lapsed while I was in CA for 11 years in the field and being an ambulance service manager so upon coming back to OR I learned that I would no longer be grandfathered beyond the State requirement that ALL Paramedics must have an AA degree or better (does not have to be related to emergency medicine) in order to be licensed. Or at least be well into studies with a set graduation time within two years.

My CA Paramedic is still valid and I am seeking ambulance work in CA to commute to until meet the requirements to reinstate my license in Oregon. I do some work for myself as a computer repair tech and mobile Notary Public. I am working to get my BLS, EMS, First Aid and Fire Instructor credentials back (used to teach in 80s and 90s) so I can make a little money doing that as well as teach and inspire some folks getting started in personal and public safety.

Unlike most of you, I'm single (not the confirmed bachelor type, mind you-I almost got married twice. Shameless plug: Listen up, energetic EMS/Fire-minded gals! LOL!) and I have no kids. I'm VERY passionate-even exuberant-about developing and administering my little fire department. It's not only my hobby, it's truly a path of personal and professional development. Other interests include astronomy, listening to all kinds of music (VNV Nation forever!), sci-fi (HUGE Doctor Who fan though I love any Star Trek and Dune), steampunk, writing sci-fi (aspiring author) and poetry, photography, messing around on my iPad, housekeeping, shopping, movies, hanging out with friends, outdoor activities like hiking, camping, bike riding, etc., big sports fan (GO DUCKS and 49ers!) who likes to get into pick-up games every now and then.

Glad to be here. Great community

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm Ishan. I'm a Computer Scientist by training.

In college, I was privileged to be part of a program called the Health Advocates. I got trained as an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), was tasked with promoting general health and wellness in the student houses (everybody get your flu shot!), participated in disaster drills, responded to the occasional professor who decided to faint, and got my own big orange glow-in-the-dark medical kit which I keep to this day. ;)

After college, life got a lot more boring. I work as a software engineer and am thinking about going back to university for grad school, but am kind of burnt out of science/engineering and need a break. I took an EMT class and got my EMT state certification, and work with a couple of organizations on volunteer medical events as they come up (not much in the SF bay area, sadly).

Ultimately, wherever my career takes me, I want it to be somewhere where there is a healthy volunteer EMT program (such as my birthplace, Maryland, the only place I know that has the call volume and variety of a big city, with the ability to volunteer like a small rural area).

I've already posted a thing or two on this forum, but realized I never introduced myself, so here I am. :D

Regards
Ishan

BigDEMT

Forum Crew Member
Hi Everyone,
I'm 36 y.o. From DFW, Texas with a good career in software that I intend to keep but I've always had interest in EMS so after negotiate with the wife I've decided to go to EMT-B class.

I'm hoping to find volunteering opportunities in the area so I can use the skills I'll get to keep them sharp and to give back to the community

I plan on going through intermediate after basic (at least to get IV training if it's not covered in basic) but probably won't have the time to go through paramedic school until the kids will be older :)

That's it. Hope to learn a lot from this community and to contribute where I can.

BigDEMT

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I started in EMS at 16y/o and went on to become an EMT-D (remember when we were called that?). I've done the volley thing and the paid thing. Inhaling too many diesel fumes caused me to think that medical school would be a good idea. Several years (more that I like to think about), lots of student loans and a few kids later, here I am.

Mantis Princess

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, I'm Ashley, turning 23 in April and I'm hoping to start EMT classes next year.
I've been working retail since I graduated high school four years ago (almost five now, eek, time flies!) and while it's been a great experience working with customers, I really can't see myself / don't want to see myself doing this forever.
Hoping to someday be a Paramedic. I have a lot to learn, so I'll probably be around a lot! Even if I'm just lurking.:oops:

MarkusEMS

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, I'm Ashley, turning 23 in April and I'm hoping to start EMT classes next year.
I've been working retail since I graduated high school four years ago (almost five now, eek, time flies!) and while it's been a great experience working with customers, I really can't see myself / don't want to see myself doing this forever.
Hoping to someday be a Paramedic. I have a lot to learn, so I'll probably be around a lot! Even if I'm just lurking.:oops:

Hi and Welcome Ashley,

glad to have you here. Like you my job history has so many different faces every time surrounding the needs of a customer or a client. But then few years back I felt like the true calling did set in and I decided to take helping someone in need to a whole different level and assist when people really need someone and are in distress.

Good luck on your jouney - and don't be shy to ask
Markus

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Welcome!

If you're goal is to be a medic, start down the path as soon as you can. Taking an EMT class at night with a full time job is doable and the road is longer than you might think it is...

Mantis Princess

Forum Ride Along

Thank you two so much for the kind welcomes. :)

I'll try not to be too shy, Markus!
And Tigger, I was actually considering just going part time. To at least give me a bit more time with the classes, and some personal time as well. I haven't quite got it all figured out yet, so we'll see. Oh, and kinda "jealous" about you living in Colorado! (I try not to use the word jealous as it's a bad trait ;) ) I've been considering taking a trip over there, as I feel it's probably wonderful and I'm trying to figure out if I'd like to move out of state yet or not.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I moved from outside of Boston to go to college and have not left and it's been six years now I think. I love it here. I just wish I had already started medic school, if I had organized things better I could have finished the program this summer. Instead I start next fall...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Why did I think you were already in medic school?

Mantis Princess

Forum Ride Along
Better late than never!
I was the same way last year when all my 2010 classmates were graduating university.. It was a bit disheartening, but I also told myself that most of them were not working for those four years, just going to school. And while I may not have a degree like them, at least I had work experience. -shrug-
Gotta find the positives in things. :)

Aidan McArthur

Forum Probie
Better late than never!
I was the same way last year when all my 2010 classmates were graduating university.. It was a bit disheartening, but I also told myself that most of them were not working for those four years, just going to school. And while I may not have a degree like them, at least I had work experience. -shrug-
Gotta find the positives in things. :)
Work experience is more valuable today than a degree (and thousands of dollars of debt) in my opinion.

Jason

Medic

Hi Ashley,
Welcome.
Best of Luck.
Ask us anything ... we are a great resource.

Knighttime

Forum Ride Along
Evening all, recently found the site and after looking around decided to join. I have been working in EMS since 1998 when I took my basic class after joining our local volunteer service as well as our area Fire Department(one of the few these days that aren't yet merged). It wasn't long after that I decided this was the career I wanted to pursue and in 2001 received my NREMT-P certification and have been working as a full-time Paramedic for the past 13 years, funny how it still doesn't seem that long to me most days. I have worked for both private and municipal services. Currently working at a joint ambulance district that encompasses one city, 2 villages, and outlying unincorporated areas.

Along the way obtained my Firefighter cert and briefly Haz-Mat Tech and even briefer stint as a police officer(graduated OPOTA and found after only a short amount of time that I much preferred the squad to a cruiser).

Recently my amazing fiance decided she wanted the same career and is less than a week away from completing her basic class. So after coming from a long line of steel workers and coal miners it seems her and I will be starting our own family line of ems workers. Hoping my schedule will allow me to spent time here and participate as much as possible.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Evening all, recently found the site and after looking around decided to join. I have been working in EMS since 1998 when I took my basic class after joining our local volunteer service as well as our area Fire Department(one of the few these days that aren't yet merged). It wasn't long after that I decided this was the career I wanted to pursue and in 2001 received my NREMT-P certification and have been working as a full-time Paramedic for the past 13 years, funny how it still doesn't seem that long to me most days. I have worked for both private and municipal services. Currently working at a joint ambulance district that encompasses one city, 2 villages, and outlying unincorporated areas.

Along the way obtained my Firefighter cert and briefly Haz-Mat Tech and even briefer stint as a police officer(graduated OPOTA and found after only a short amount of time that I much preferred the squad to a cruiser).

Recently my amazing fiance decided she wanted the same career and is less than a week away from completing her basic class. So after coming from a long line of steel workers and coal miners it seems her and I will be starting our own family line of ems workers. Hoping my schedule will allow me to spent time here and participate as much as possible.
Welcome!

Mantis Princess

Forum Ride Along
Work experience is more valuable today than a degree (and thousands of dollars of debt) in my opinion.
Oh for sure! That debt is something I definitely don't want, lol.
I've always been the type of gal to pay off everything/anything as soon as possible so a student loan debt would most likely eat at me every day..something I don't really want. :p

Jason

Medic

Welcome Knighttime.
Best wishes to you and your fiance.

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Andrew, 29, and starting my EMT in February. I'm in central ohio and have been working as a lifeguard for most of the past 8 years. Currently Lifeguard Instructor certified through Red Cross. I'm excited to start this next part if my life.