The Official EMTLIFE Introduction Thread

alaskatora

Forum Ride Along
Hello from Oahu

Hello everybody. My name is Tora and I just got accepted into the Kapiolani Community College EMS Program on Oahu. Myself and 17 other people made it in.

I am so glad I decided to go to a more structured program. Gotta tell ya. A and P and Med Term etc.........was worth EVERY minute. And I haven't even started yet.

Anyhow, I am a 36 year old mother of 3. And I am married to an United States Army Soldier who is on his 2nd deployment to Iraq.

I am originally from Alaska, but we got stationed at Schofield Barracks on Oahu. YES!

I love this forum! And I decided it was time to introduce myself and say thanks to everyone for posting such informative info! So, thanks!

Tora

joshellis625

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone, my name is Josh and I am 17. I am a member of my local volly FD on the EMS side and I am starting my EMT-B class August 18th. I plan to be around quite a bit and plan to learn all I can!

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome to the board man. I just got my EMT-B and it was a fun class. enjoy

firehiker

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

(edit: wow...that was long. here's a short version!)
Name is Steanson "stinson"
Live in North Dallas
Currently an inexperienced Paramedic student...haven't worked in the field since receiving my NR EMT-B.
Welcome any and all tips, advice, criticisms.
Thanks,
Steanson
This seems to be the place to start, so...
Hi! My name is Steanson ("stinson"), and I am in the N. Dallas area of TX.
I found myself entering the field of First Responders in what I call my "mid-life career change". After college I went to work with my father's engineering firm, and have for the last 12 years. As he is nearing retirement, and I have no desire to run the company, it was time to find a career I could "hang my hat on" so to speak...so I went to the fire academy, and that is where I learned (after they cashed my check) :p
that I would ALSO have to become an EMT-B minimum before I could be certified as a FF in TX...and after testing at several departments, it became MORE apparent that departments are hiring "paramedics preferred".

After becoming Nationally Registered, I went back to work at the office and tested here and there for the fire job, only to find my NR was about to expire early this year. In a panic I went to my school's website looking for CE courses, only to discover they were starting a May 2009 Medic class...and there/here I am!

I am at a tremendous disadvantage compared to my classmates...they are all EXCELLENT Basics that have been working in the field for some time, and I essentially shelved my certs and went back to the old job rather than jump into EMS like I should have. I was the Valedictorian of my Fire Academy class and Salutatorian of my EMT-Basic class...and now I find myself fighting just for middle of the road. This is what brought me to this site...I was looking in the googles for "Paramedic Math Formulas Conversions Drugs", and one result directed me to this forum. I will utilize any and all resources to do well in class and constantly strive to be a GOOD medic, not just a medic. After recently having family (as well as myself) have experiences with ambulance and hospital, I know that the little things often make the biggest difference in patient experience, and by learning from you guys that have been "doing it", I hope to pick up a few good habits.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Steanson,
aka "firehiker"

Last edited by a moderator:

whatevah

Forum Probie
Quick version:
current MFR. EMT-B student
Volly firefighter
25 years old
considering this as a career

Hi all, newbie almost-EMT-B from Delaware, taking the NREMT "cognitive" exam in two days (Wednesday). Just took an accelerated EMT-B course from the Delaware State Fire School, 3 weeks of 8a-5p classes and 3 days of exams, tough schedule! Completed First Responder this past February, have had a current CPR card for 9 years (I'm 25). Volunteer firefighter, top responder for my station with over 300 runs this year.

Got laid off in January by a Jeep aftermarket parts company, and need a job a little more portable/reliable. Thinking about making a career of this, not sure if I want to go the ALS route or not, my younger brother is finishing the final FTO rides for his P school and my mother is an RN with specialties in ER/ICU/Cardiac cath (almost 30 years now).

UsualSuspect147

Forum Probie
Hey everyone I'm Mike, starting EMT-B class here in Louisiana (Gretna specifically) on August 24th.

I'm an Iraqi War veteran (OIFII) whose wife is in Law School at Tulane Law and we live in New Orleans.

HUGE Saints fan and huge fan of New Orleans although I plan on doing my work on the West Bank most likely... NO is a little too much like Iraq when it comes to calls if you know what I mean.

Anyone that has any suggestions about the NO/West Bank/North Shore area as far as companies and working, shoot me a PM anytime!

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome to the forum UsualSuspect147. I know we got guys on here from all over the place so I am sure you will find the help you need.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Welcome to all that have joined, glad to have you aboard!

mmorsepfd

Forum Probie
What on earth is an EMT-C?

Hello, I'm an EMT-C, a rare breed, not really a basic, not quite an intermediate and definately not a paramedic. Rhode Island is the only place to have EMT-c's, i guess we are glorified IV techs or something. Whatever I am, I recently found this place and look forward to getting involved.

pljones

Forum Ride Along
Phil
26 years old
EMT-B for 3 years @ a vacation resort, getting ready to switch to an Ambulance Co.
Waiting to get picked up by an FD
Hopin to share some laughs, concerns and thoughts with others who love this line of work

firemoose0827

Forum Probie
Hello everyone, my name is Brian, people call me moose, or Jonesy. I am 34 years old and have been involved with EMS since I was 14 with the Junior Fire Dept on Long Island, NY. I got my first CPR and First Aid card there and have been training ever since. I was a Basic EMT at the age of 18, than a EMT-CC at 21, but have since dropped my CC cert and am now a basic again. I have worked for Response ambulance which was purchased by Rural Metro where I currently am a PT EMT. I was a FT EMT-CC for 3 years there. I belonged to 2 volunteer squads, and was Training Officer, Lieutenant, and Captain of my first squad.
I am now retired from the fire/EMS services while I attend school at ITT-Tech for Computer Drafting and Design. I have a beautiful 3 year old daughter named Isabella, and a wife of 4 years named Moira. I live in NY State and look forward to chatting with you all about EMS.
I am also a Level II Firefighter, Haz-Mat Technician, and Fire & Explosion Investigator.
Stay Safe
Brian.

plumdragon

Forum Probie
*waves*

Allo allo. I'm Gwynne, in Huntsville Alabama. Got just a few weeks left of EMT-B training. I already volunteer with the local Rescue Squad.

My clinicals so far have either been a waste of learning time with not one thing happening, or... a large caliber GSW all the way complete with sucking chest wound and helicopter evac. Woo! The medics didn't like my luck, then...

Thanks for being here :)

Dr Boom

Forum Ride Along
Hidden Heros

So yeah, like my case worker thought I should get involved in small group therapy... j/k j/k!

'ello EMT groupie's, the name's Dave or Doc if you're in a hurry. 26 y/o with 6 years in the USAF.

Started Scuba diving right away and got some good squids (Navy) to help me with rescue diver training in Guam. Every since- I've been hooked into the broad scope of the medical field.

Last two years I've been an instructor for SABC basics during chemical warfare scenarios, picked up an EMT-B book for help in some areas but you can only ask a book so many questions before you have to buy another (next step in EMT)

So that's where you guys (and gals! ) come in- I'll be throwing crazy stuff out there for consideration and direction.

Glad to be aboard EMTLife!
Dave

kkhartzog

Forum Probie
My name is Kim. I just finish my emt schooling. Passed my nremt. and just got my county license. i'm 18 years old and now just looking for work^_^

andydrumm05

Forum Probie
Hey! I'm Andy., I'm 22 years old. I am currently waiting to take my test, my appointment is on July 31. This is actually my second time around in basic class. I currently attend Ohio University. I'm a theatre major, but have an interest in the medical frield, duh! or else I wouldn't be trying to become an EMT. I'll be starting off volenteering with my local department, but hope to find a job either in the private sector or with a city fire department. But I'm focusing on passing my NR test at the moment.

DawnParr

Forum Crew Member

Hey Guys! I'm Dawn Parr. I am 21 years of age with an older brother who is a memeber of the Missouri Highway patrol and SWAT team. My twin sister is going to school to be a nurse and my younger brother is joing the Marines... hopefully we are all making our parents proud! I live in FLora, Il (podunk nothingness) I am attending Frontier Community College to start courses to become an EMT-B. I went to school for two and a half years to become a music teacher but i finally found my calling. I'm so excited about starting these classes that i couldn't wait so i searched google to find a thread about paramedics... which is my ultimate goal. anywho... hope to see you all around :) cya

Cory

Forum Captain
Ok, so I know I'm in a serious minority here, but here it goes:

I'm 15 years old, so I have no EMT certification or training(although I am considering CFR course next year) but I have had a life-long dream to be in EMS. It is one of those things you just know is for sure. It is my biggest interest(I know, weird)

I fully intend on taking my EMT-B class as soon as possible at The University of Cincinnati, and I intend to begin working in the Cincinnati Fire Department EMS as soon as I can be hired.

For my current job, I am certified in CPR, First Aid, and AED Professional.

So, I know I am way below even a newbie, but I intend to try and learn a lot of things, and to post where I can.

-Cory-

EMT2SaveU

Forum Ride Along
EMT2Medic

Hi Everyone,

I'm an EMT-B who is going to become a Paramedic. I must say, I have never thought that people would not want EMT's who Volunteer their time! I have been an EMT for about 6 months and everywhere I went they had too many Volunteers or would not take me because they had Unions... But, I finally got in with Flatlands Volunteer Ambulance Corp. in Brooklyn, NY. I could not be happier. I am doing my dispatch training now and can't wait to become an attendant. I will volunteer for 6-9 months before starting my Paramedic program. I wish everyone luck on this forum and keep saving those Lives!!!

Isaac.