The importance of a good education

only1jomo

Forum Probie
Hi everyone. I see that my previouse post, in which, I mentioned that I would be going to a 2 week emt bootcamp caused quite a debate. I apologize if anyone was offended. That was not my intent at all. I happen to agree that the more education one has the better. Especially in a field where peoples lives are on the line. I am one of those people that needs as much educational stimulus as I can get myself into or get my hands on. That is one of the reasons I'm on this site. I respect all of your opinions and I thank all of you that stood up for me. I don't want or expect anyone to sugar coat anything they say either to me or about me but I do ask that before you make your judgements, ask me questions. Believe me, if I am wrong I will be the first one to admit it. Have a wonderful and safe day.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
SO, have you already passed an EMT class then?? If not, seriously, you're going to be EXTREMELY lost during your so called bootcamp. If so, well, your classmates may resent you...

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
What is this EMT bootcamp? Is it a bunch of scenarios for the 2 weeks you're there? Do they drill protocols into your head?

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
I haven't taken any classes yet. I'm enrolled for next semester but I've been studying like crazy. I won't be going there in the dark or a complete know it all. I don't think I'm allowed to name the school on here but if you google emt bootcamp in california you will see them. They are in fremont. The thoughts Im bouncing around are to take the course, also get IV and Phlebotomy certs and work part-time as an er tech while working the emt program. I figure I'll get some supervised hands on while Im getting my education. And then once I'm not a totaly newbie, start applying to work on a an ambulance. What do you guys think?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
um, :headdesk: Wow, they guarantee you'll pass?? I'd be worried...

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
They say if you don't you can re-take the course for free and they'll pay for you to retake the test.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
They say if you don't you can re-take the course for free and they'll pay for you to retake the test.

Thats a terrible terrible thing.

Ever heard of a accredited paramedic/medical/nursing/resp. therapy school offering that type of guarantee?

You should go through a full semester program. These people are NOT going to teach you how to be an EMT, they are going to teach you how to pass a test. Your going to be so lost in the field you won't know where your head is.

While the semester programs are very lacking, they at least provide study time, one on one instructor time, many lab hours beyond what is required, and lecture time to include other more advanced topics. Most importantly, you will be using your long term memory instead of your short term.

You will find that when you mention to other paramedics and EMTs that you went through a two week program, you will lose respect in their eyes. I heard comments earlier about how long does it actually take to teach suction and splinting, and I can tell you not that long, but its not about the interventions and skill sets, but about the knowledge and ability to look at someone, assess them systematically, understand the data you have obtained, develop a differential Dx, and treat to your level or call for more advanced providers, and than transport. I will promise you that you will have no medical knowledge after this program.

I would not want my acutely ill mother in the care of someone who went through a two week program. Would you?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Though I'm not sure I agree with your decision, I wish you the best of luck. For the money you're spending at Unitek College you could pay for probably a whole year of full time community college, but that's your choice.

I know you'll be busy, but please come back and keep us updated on your progress. I believe you are the first of our members who will go through the relatively new program, so we're interested to hear about your experiences.

Good luck!

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
You guys really are awesome. Thank you so much for all of your advise. I'm going to be taking it all into consideration. I know it sounds silly but even if I do the program I will also be doing the semester programs. Overkill seems to work great for me. Either way you all have given me A LOT to think about and Im greatful. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
O

only1jomo

Forum Probie
I might have to take it now just for the research. I'm VERY curious and it might make for a great article.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Here's the deal.. I can teach to pass the test. This is what "mills" do. Unfortunately, it does not ensure one to be a good provider of medicine.

The bottom line is why are you entering the profession? What is the hurry of getting through and do you want to be the best ... or just get the patch?

Most employers know these shake and bake programs and I have yet seen any respectable EMS hire any of their graduates. Yeah, you got the card and the patch.. it does not mean you will get the job.

Which would you rather have .. a physician that has studied for over six year at a collegiate level and additional three to six years of residency or.. one that attended a two year school and six months or residency... Get the point?

R/r 911

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Fourteen 12hr days. It is truly frightning to think such a course exists at any price. That is not how you educate people, it is how you train monkeys.

Thank God, (or Allah, Buddha etc.) we, (Canada), have been setting our standards higher not lower.

Do yourself and future patients a favor and stay away. Reexamine why you want to be in health care. If you really care about your future patients then get a proper healthcare education.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Why would having one 2-hour class a week for a few months make a better EMT than having an 8-hour class 5 times a week for a few weeks?.. I agree that EMT classes should be longer, but due to more class time, not to longer breaks between classes.
Although 12 hours a day is extreme, I personally wouldn't survive 12 hour in class...

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxbat

Forum Captain
Now, if you want to make sure students know the material, give more lecture and lab time, make harder scenarios, harder tests with higher passing scores, open-ended questions rather than multiple choice on written test, mandatory annual re-examinations... don't just insert longer breaks between classes.

reaper

Working Bum
Why would having one 2-hour class a week for a few months make a better EMT than having an 8-hour class 5 times a week for a few weeks?.. I agree that EMT classes should be longer, but due to more class time, not to longer breaks between classes.
Although 12 hours a day is extreme, I personally wouldn't survive 12 hour in class...

That 2 hour class course would actually be about a year and half long!

A class that is taught 12 hours a day for 14 days, will get you the hours needed. But, you will get so much material pushed into those 12 hour days, that you would never learn it all.

The average EMT is two 8 hour classes a week for 3 months, for day classes. Nights are more likely two 4-5 hour classes a week for 6 months.

This still sucks, but better then the boot camp.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
we could put doctors through a bootcamp. Med school in 6 months! 14 hour days!

USMLE steps one and two pass or your money back!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Why would having one 2-hour class a week for a few months make a better EMT than having an 8-hour class 5 times a week for a few weeks?.....

It has been scientifically proven retention and absorption of the material is easier and has higher retention over a period of time with reinforcement than in one period of time.

I ask when does one practice their skills? My EMT class alone has more scheduled lab time that then length of that course. Why? Because skills are only learned and mastered through repetitious practice.

Remember, the key is all is supposedly to be mastered not just taught. This means NO miss ups, no failures.

Now I ask what portion do you allow the student to forget or not retain.... the bleeding, the emergency childbirth?

And again, I ask .. what is the hurry? Why is everyone attempting to "condense" anything? Why cannot it be increased in hours as well as length in time, why even suggest shortening anything?

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think an interesting search might be to look at the thread on how prepared you felt after your EMT class. There was a poll on there. See how many people felt inadequately trained after their full EMT class and then decide if you want to take the shorter one. More is better.