The Ideal EMT Curriculum

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Hypopethically you have put on a committee to oversee the development of a new EMT curriculum. According to your level of knowledge (Basic/Intermediate/Paramedic/etc.), what would you change, emphasize, or include?

EMT-Basic
  • Additional focus on patient interaction / psychology / emotionally supporting the patient
  • Addition of a DT4EMS (Defensive Tactics for EMS)
  • Addition / Emphasis of Anatomy & Physiology
  • Addition of supporting higher levels of EMS (spiking bags, etc)
  • Emphasis on documentation and legal aspects of EMS
  • Emphasis on an EMT as a professional within the community
  • Add additional airway maneuvers / treatments
And more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
MMiz said:
Hypopethically you have put on a committee to oversee the development of a new EMT curriculum. According to your level of knowledge (Basic/Intermediate/Paramedic/etc.), what would you change, emphasize, or include?

EMT-Basic
  • Additional focus on patient interaction / psychology / emotionally supporting the patient
  • Addition of a DT4EMS (Defensive Tactics for EMS)
  • Addition / Emphasis of Anatomy & Physiology
  • Addition of supporting higher levels of EMS (spiking bags, etc)
  • Emphasis on documentation and legal aspects of EMS
  • Emphasis on an EMT as a professional within the community
  • Add additional airway maneuvers / treatments
And more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

Those would be an awesome addition to an EMT-B or EMT-I level.

even if they were added just one at a time it would be a bonus for all involved.

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
DT4EMS said:
Those would be an awesome addition to an EMT-B or EMT-I level.

even if they were added just one at a time it would be a bonus for all involved.

I agree again!:)

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Ok..not to toot my own horn... but I do most of those now... makes me kind of sad that most instructors don't add that stuff.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Whatever the new additions would be, I would like to see the NREMT get involved, and then work with all 50 states so that everyone is the same, so those who wish to transfer from one state to another can do so easily.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Chimpie said:
Whatever the new additions would be, I would like to see the NREMT get involved, and then work with all 50 states so that everyone is the same, so those who wish to transfer from one state to another can do so easily.
I totally agree.