The Gun Thread

FiremanMike

Just a dude
11.5 or 13.7 in 5.56?

If you mean in .300 blk, why would you use that long of a barrel?

My go-to rifle guy always stuck by 10.5" for an SBR in 5.56..

If I hadn't just bought a new guitar, I'd have bought that kit from PSA..

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Dug out one of my all time favorite rifles recently. Almost forgot how fun it is to shoot and how handy it is.

The venerable M1 Carbine manufactured by National Postal Meter, circa 1944. 76 years old and still runs flawlessly.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Dug out one of my all time favorite rifles recently. Almost forgot how fun it is to shoot and how handy it is.

The venerable M1 Carbine manufactured by National Postal Meter, circa 1944. 76 years old and still runs flawlessly.

My father carried one of those in WWII. I always wanted one.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
My father carried one of those in WWII. I always wanted one.
To be honest, when I went to the gun store and bought it I wasn't looking for one. I was actually looking for an M1 Garand, but all they had was the M1A1 Carbine. I liked how it handled and felt so I bought it. Got home and did some research and and initially regretted it because I bought into the hype of how underpowered the round was. Those myths were the reason I started reloading.

Once I started researching the history and purpose behind the M1 Carbine, I realized it was actually quite excellent in its designed role as the original PDW. When you realize most defensive shootings occur well inside of 100 yards, the 30 carbine round is more than adequate. While not a truly effective deer round, it does wonders on varmits and small game too.

I eventually removed the awful folding stock that made it a M1A1 and went with a traditional full length walnut stock from WWII to make it closer to period correct and more comfortable to shoot. Got the added bonus of a steel buttplate firmly attached to a solid walnut stock in case some well placed buttstroke attitude adjustment is required on something.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent

That's a .30 cal, yeah?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Last edited:

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I recently finished an AR chambered in 350 legend.
Resized_20200701_174608.jpg

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
You guys who build what you shoot -- I am in awe. You may outlive the rest of us.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You guys who build what you shoot -- I am in awe. You may outlive the rest of us.
The awe factor isn't really warranted. For the most part., the process simply involves buying the right parts and assembling them. The awe factor is definitely warranted in those cases where the builder machines their own barrels or receivers.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Dad's got a safe full of WWII stuff. Too bad years ago he sold his pre 86 Thompson.

But he got a garand, M1Carbine, a luger, a nagant, etc. That ping of the clip ejecting... ugh. So good

CALEMT

The awe factor is definitely warranted in those cases where the builder machines their own barrels or receivers.

80% lowers are the way to go.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
80% lowers are the way to go.
True, but I'm still not a huge fan of AR or even AK platforms. No matter what you do, there will still be some play in the stock, especially on adjustable stocks. There's just something about wood and steel with the Garand rotary bolt that just feels right.

Seriously considering putting my M1 carbine into my survival kit. It will do everything I need it to do and carrying 300 rounds of ammo is still pretty light.

CALEMT

True, but I'm still not a huge fan of AR or even AK platforms. No matter what you do, there will still be some play in the stock, especially on adjustable stocks. There's just something about wood and steel with the Garand rotary bolt that just feels right.

Seriously considering putting my M1 carbine into my survival kit. It will do everything I need it to do and carrying 300 rounds of ammo is still pretty light.

AR’s and AK’s are meant to be loose. That’s the primary idea of the design so debris can pass through without impeding function of the gun.

AR, AK, bolt guns, I love em all.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
AR’s and AK’s are meant to be loose. That’s the primary idea of the design so debris can pass through without impeding function of the gun.

AR, AK, bolt guns, I love em all.
And yet a tight fit between the stock and receiver is not an issue on any other platform. I love them all too...I just love some more than others.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Still have the custom 1911 my dad made me. I keep it in the box in the safe. Gotta keep it nice and pristine.
My preferred carry weapon is a Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite in 10mm. Good 1911 trigger with the weight of a steel gun shooting hot 10mm ammo there is no two or four legged critter it won't work on if I do my part.

OP
OP
Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
To be honest, when I went to the gun store and bought it I wasn't looking for one. I was actually looking for an M1 Garand, but all they had was the M1A1 Carbine. I liked how it handled and felt so I bought it. Got home and did some research and and initially regretted it because I bought into the hype of how underpowered the round was. Those myths were the reason I started reloading.
I am envious. I'm a big fan of the M1 platform. I would love a both carbine and a Garand.

I have a Springfield SOCOM 16 and a Ruger Mini-14 and I regularly drool over the other M14 clones, especially from Fulton Armory and LRB.

Once I started researching the history and purpose behind the M1 Carbine, I realized it was actually quite excellent in its designed role as the original PDW. When you realize most defensive shootings occur well inside of 100 yards, the 30 carbine round is more than adequate.
Absolutely. I recently bought a Daniel Defense DDM4 PDW in .300 BLK and it has quickly become my favorite firearm. I know it is blasphemy, but I am really not a big fan of the AR platform…..this DD PDW is the first one that I really, really liked.

I haven't gotten around to my 80% build yet, but I might do another PDW in .300 BLK.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I am envious. I'm a big fan of the M1 platform. I would love a both carbine and a Garand.

I have a Springfield SOCOM 16 and a Ruger Mini-14 and I regularly drool over the other M14 clones, especially from Fulton Armory and LRB.

Absolutely. I recently bought a Daniel Defense DDM4 PDW in .300 BLK and it has quickly become my favorite firearm. I know it is blasphemy, but I am really not a big fan of the AR platform…..this DD PDW is the first one that I really, really liked.

I haven't gotten around to my 80% build yet, but I might do another PDW in .300 BLK.
Well, you're really going to hate me. I have an M1 Carbine, M1A Squad Scout, and a M1A SOCOM. Sold my Mini14 and Mini30 a few years ago when I was consolidating calibers. Also sold my full sized M1A since it was too unwieldy compared to the Squad Scout for only a couple hundred FPS increase in velocity.