The Future of EMS

SSMTB

Forum Probie
I’m only referring to the last year or so, since the NHS is in collapse and covering less and less. There’s an article a day about things which are no longer covered.

I was just interested in the “Ooh, sorry that you have breast cancer, but you’re 90, so we’re not going to do anything.” Part it sounded like you had a bad experience ?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The NHS isn’t so much collapsing as it is failing to keep up (clinically, operationally or financially) with current and near-future expectations. The other flaw of an NHS is that it’s governed directly by politicians, who have very little concern as to long term health, safety, quality or efficiency as long as they can point to a near term cost savings.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Wait! You mean Socialized Medicine doesn’t cure all?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The other flaw of an NHS is that it’s governed directly by politicians, who have very little concern as to long term health, safety, quality or efficiency as long as they can point to a near term cost savings.
Well, that is a central feature of any socialized system, so.....

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Talking about the US overtraining doctors and nurses: I knew with a gentleman in Indiana who was a surgeon in his home country in Africa (I don't remember what country he was from).
He was trained to operate on people with Cleft Palates. That was it; 6 months of training. That was all he could do. If it was more complicated than that he couldn't do much about it, and would have to get a 'general surgeon' involved (who was trained for a year or 2 on ENT type surgeries.
Not a great idea in my book, but much less expensive to train doctors and surgeons

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Talking about the US overtraining doctors and nurses: I knew with a gentleman in Indiana who was a surgeon in his home country in Africa (I don't remember what country he was from).
He was trained to operate on people with Cleft Palates. That was it; 6 months of training. That was all he could do. If it was more complicated than that he couldn't do much about it, and would have to get a 'general surgeon' involved (who was trained for a year or 2 on ENT type surgeries.
Not a great idea in my book, but much less expensive to train doctors and surgeons

Oral surgeons who do nothing but cleft palate/cleft lip often do both MD/DO and DDS/DMD schools in addition to dual residencies. I don’t see how 6 months vs 15-20 years could even be similarly comparable.

It’s not that you need 6 months to learn the procedure, it’s that you need years to understand pathology, associated infections, medications, medication interactions, anesthesia, pre-op work-ups, post-op follow-up, wound healing, emergency responses to surgical problems, and on and on and on. Surgery is the easy part.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I got taught to do simple cutting and stitching. All monkey skills. As posted, it’s the OTHER 99% that will kill... Learning all that takes years.

Bishop2047

Forum Crew Member
If you had to predict, what the Future of EMS would look like in the year 2030, 2040 and 2050, what would EMS look like and what future technologies do you see coming down the road for EMS. Could you see UAV's being used in EMS. What about using Wearable devices to monitor critical patients and Curtain populations. What would the EMS profession look like in the year 2030, 2040 and 2050.

Awesome point of care tech that will greatly increase our ability to pre alert hospitals of... EVERYTHING. Most of this is already in the prehospital world in some manner but costs will continue to drop with time.

Broadening of scope outside of emergent care. Community care, Palliative care (that is my next inservice), and more in facility training. All of which will be done in the hopes of saving some coin, especially in rural areas.

After that here in Canada there will soon be a bachelors requirement for Advanced Care Paramedics. Already takes 4 years so why not. I don't this it is necessary but it will happen.