The emergency "walk"

samiam

Amazing Member
Anyone ever notice the "urgent" slow jog that ED workers use when they are the first ones responding to a code or when a peds trauma is called in? Not gonna lie I have done it my self in the ER before too but what about in the field? Do you do that when you realize that you just stumbled into some bad :censored::censored::censored::censored:.. or do you always walk onto a scene. I have also noticed that that "jog" is probably slower then a power walk would be... as far as trying to actually speed up how long it takes you to get somewhere.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I dont walk in i swagger.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I prefer to skip into the scene with great purpose, unless it's a trauma, then I moonwalk.

Sent from my mobile command center

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's because a jog looks alot cooler then a fast walk

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I received the wrath of some random bystander 2 weeks ago for walking to a patient. He said, and I quote "This is a multiple heart attack patient, can we show some urgency PLEASE?!" and literally ran off, shooing people out of our way... 20 yards ahead of us.

I laughed and continued on my normal walking speed, just HOPING he would file a complaint.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I just pump my arms faster and it gives the perception I am going faster than what I am. :)

Think 80 year old granny doing her version of power walk in the mall...they look all fast and impressive but are really in slow motion.

OP
OP
samiam

samiam

Amazing Member
I received the wrath of some random bystander 2 weeks ago for walking to a patient. He said, and I quote "This is a multiple heart attack patient, can we show some urgency PLEASE?!" and literally ran off, shooing people out of our way... 20 yards ahead of us.

I laughed and continued on my normal walking speed, just HOPING he would file a complaint.

When you google "emergency" you get the classic.....
medical-emergency.jpg
As well as the statement "Even a slight delay in the first aid can give a lot of difference in patents health. A delay of four minutes at the life-threatening situations can cause death to the patient." God forbid that walk takes you longer then four minutes.

Cite: http://medicalct.com/ems/medical-care-in-the-event-of-an-emergency/

Last edited by a moderator:

gw812

Forum Crew Member
Walk? I levitate myself and glide in.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
We walk here. Also, at the FD, we walk on a fire scene as well. No sense in running and hurting yourself.

OP
OP
samiam

samiam

Amazing Member
Baywatch just popped into my mind..... [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lAQQWpFN8I&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Sasha

Forum Chief
I just pump my arms faster and it gives the perception I am going faster than what I am. :)

Think 80 year old granny doing her version of power walk in the mall...they look all fast and impressive but are really in slow motion.

Do you wear the sweat band and track suit?

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

feldy

Forum Captain

Thats when u ask where's the fire...when they respond "there isnt any"...you say exactly!

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
It's not my emergency! I can barely walk without tripping, stumbling, stubbing... etc, let alone run. Certainly not going to be doing it on a scene or area that I am not familiar with.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not my emergency! I can barely walk without tripping, stumbling, stubbing... etc, let alone run. Certainly not going to be doing it on a scene or area that I am not familiar with.

Ha ha ha! So true! Yesterday I turned around and walked strait into the side of the ambulance. I thought for sure I had broke my nose. Lol!

To make it worse it was out on a mutual aid call in an area we almost never go and we were working with a fire district we never work with. Then it took us forever to get to scene cause it was like 20 minutes further away. And we were swamped prior and missing lots of stuff from our jump bag. And the gurney battery was dead. And overall we were probably projecting this Bumpkin and Co Ambulance Service appearance. Then when I smacked my nose on the rig, the firefighters outside just started busting up. :-S That is why I don't run. Cause if I do, next thing you know there will be a second page to the same address for a crew member who took a mechanical fall. I'm already almost certain to hurt myself. No sense being tired from running when I hurt myself. ;-)

Sent from a small, handheld electronic device that somehow manages to consume vast amounts of my time. Also know as a smart phone.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Ha ha ha! So true! Yesterday I turned around and walked strait into the side of the ambulance. I thought for sure I had broke my nose. Lol!

One time I responded with my rehab department (We use ambulances, just removed the gurney and stock it with rehab supplies. Visit www.herosupporter.com for more info) to a large structure and grass fire. After arriving we began to set up our rehab area. I climbed into the back of Rehab to grab a few extra supplies, my Captain had flipped up the back step, I went to climb out, my hands full, and I didn't realize it.. and I go crashing face first into the ground.. I jumped up, bleeding, shocked, speechless and all the firemen were laughing hysterically. :glare:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
We had an arrest a couple of months ago, and one of the volunteer FFs was doing CPR on the floor between the bed and wall with no room to go around. I thought "Let's NOT trip on the dead body infront of the family", so I decided to go up and over the bed to get to the head.

I didn't see that the ceiling fan was on...

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
One time I responded with my rehab department (We use ambulances, just removed the gurney and stock it with rehab supplies. Visit www.herosupporter.com for more info) to a large structure and grass fire. After arriving we began to set up our rehab area. I climbed into the back of Rehab to grab a few extra supplies, my Captain had flipped up the back step, I went to climb out, my hands full, and I didn't realize it.. and I go crashing face first into the ground.. I jumped up, bleeding, shocked, speechless and all the firemen were laughing hysterically. :glare:

Ohhhhhhhh!!!! Yet another reason I hate folding back steps!

Sent from a small, handheld electronic device that somehow manages to consume vast amounts of my time. Also know as a smart phone.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
We had an arrest a couple of months ago, and one of the volunteer FFs was doing CPR on the floor between the bed and wall with no room to go around. I thought "Let's NOT trip on the dead body infront of the family", so I decided to go up and over the bed to get to the head.

I didn't see that the ceiling fan was on...

Amazing how much pain a freaking ceiling fan can cause, isn't it?