The Crackhead with Chest Pain

Sasha

Forum Chief
My bad I had worded that post wrong I meant to say "There is nothing wrong with not having a medic on every ambulance." Don't know if I was tired or what but I will go crawl in my corner for making such a stupid mistake. And I should say that I have alot to learn about EMS since I am fairly new to the field. So please feel free to corrent me and explain things.

But how can you determine that? You have no idea what a paramedic is capable of doing or the (hopeful) education behind their license. So how are you to determine if it's appropriate to have a medic on every truck or not? Being so new to EMS, I'd like to hope that it's just your inexperience that has gotten you talking like that.

Pudge40

Forum Lieutenant
Ok maybe I am just bad at expressing my thoughts. My thoughts are that it is better to have a medic on the truck but if there is not it is still better than not having an ambulance at all. I hope this has clear it up. Also please send me a PM with all the things that medics can do that an EMT-B can't so I have it for future reference. Also that sentence was just in response to the person that said it would be a liabilaty to not have a medic on every truck. I don't see how it would be a liability. Please explain why it would be a liability as I don't see how it could be.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Ok maybe I am just bad at expressing my thoughts. My thoughts are that it is better to have a medic on the truck but if there is not it is still better than not having an ambulance at all. I hope this has clear it up. Also please send me a PM with all the things that medics can do that an EMT-B can't so I have it for future reference. Also that sentence was just in response to the person that said it would be a liabilaty to not have a medic on every truck. I don't see how it would be a liability. Please explain why it would be a liability as I don't see how it could be.

You are in Pennsylvania, correct? If so, it is time you become familiar with your state laws and EMS code.

This if for the Paramedic.

If you want more specific detailed description:
http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/lib/health/ems/als_protocols-effective_07-01-07.pdf

For an overview:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/028/chapter1003/subchapBtoc.html
(1) Perform pulmonary ventilation by the use of oral, nasal, endotracheal or tracheostomy intubation.
(2) Insert, in peripheral veins, intravenous catheters, needles or other cannulae-IV lines.
(3) Obtain venous blood samples for analysis, but only for diagnostic and treatment purposes.
(4) Prepare and administer approved medication and solutions by intravenous, intramuscular, subcutaneous, intraosseous, oral, sublingual, topical, inhalation, rectal or endotracheal routes.
(5) Perform defibrillation and synchronized cardioversion.
(6) Perform gastric suction by nasogastric or orogastric intubation.
(7) Insert nasogastric or orogastric tubes.
(8) Visualize the airway by use of the laryngoscope and remove foreign bodies with forceps.
(9) Apply electrodes and monitor cardiac electrical activity including electrocardiograms.
(10) Perform Valsalva maneuvers.
(11) Use mechanical cardiopulmonary resuscitation devices.
(12) Assess and manage patients in accordance with the EMT-paramedic training curriculum approved by the Department.
(13) Perform thoracic decompression.
(14) Perform cricothyrotomy and pulmonary ventilation.
(15) Perform central venous and intraosseous cannulation.
(16) Perform external transcutaneous pacing.
(17) Perform urinary catheterization.
(18) Access central venous lines and subcutaneous indwelling catheters.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT-B2B

Forum Crew Member
Drugs or not....chest pain?......BP 150/120?.....SOB?.....bull**** call or not...pt may be lying.....who knows.... but with vitals.....it's still sugesting possible MI......ALS call one way or the other.....don't know about you....but I don't really want to be the one ending up in court just because my partner cries bull****