"The Brotherhood"

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
Why is it that EMS personnel seem so disconnected from each other? I mean, coming from a fire dept. background I see a lot of potential, if not more potential to have that "I have your back" mentality. That large family sense. I have noticed from both squads I'm on, and at work a lot of EMS personnel are so willing to screw over their colleagues before looking out for them. I don't mean to be preaching on the soap box, but I truly think a sense of unity would bring us closer as a profession. Removing the clicks, exposing the rotten apples finally. I just see more potential for EMS. We're there to help others, how about each other also?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Why is it that EMS personnel seem so disconnected from each other? I mean, coming from a fire dept. background I see a lot of potential, if not more potential to have that "I have your back" mentality. That large family sense. I have noticed from both squads I'm on, and at work a lot of EMS personnel are so willing to screw over their colleagues before looking out for them. I don't mean to be preaching on the soap box, but I truly think a sense of unity would bring us closer as a profession. Removing the clicks, exposing the rotten apples finally. I just see more potential for EMS. We're there to help others, how about each other also?

Emphasis added. Unfortunately, from what I've seen, the entire concept of "brotherhood" is all about protecting the rotten apples. After all, shouldn't the entire part about "having your brother's back" be about not putting him in a situation that would necessitate turning in his "brother?"

Also, ask Paul Cahill and Warren Payne of the Boston Fire Department what the "brotherhood" did to help them with their substance addiction?

Last edited by a moderator:

lampnyter

Forum Captain
i think its cause, at least at my place, we dont have the same partners every shift so we dont really get a chance to make a connection. But i agree with you about the FD. I am really close to the people at my FD.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Y'know, I was just observing the other day how close I've come to most of the people I work with, even though I've only been in the field for about six months.

There's a couple partners I work with that I feel closer to than some of my family.

Maybe it's because we're such a small group that we HAVE to get along because it's inevitable that we'll all work with one another at some point.

OP
OP
H

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
i think its cause, at least at my place, we dont have the same partners every shift so we dont really get a chance to make a connection. But i agree with you about the FD. I am really close to the people at my FD.

Right, which definitely explains the clicks.

OP
OP
H

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
Y'know, I was just observing the other day how close I've come to most of the people I work with, even though I've only been in the field for about six months.

There's a couple partners I work with that I feel closer to than some of my family.

Maybe it's because we're such a small group that we HAVE to get along because it's inevitable that we'll all work with one another at some point.

I work for a small transport company on the side. When I first started, the company was about 75% smaller than what it is like today and I had a similar experience. I'm still best friends w/ a lot of those people. Ironically, the EMT's were much better back then than now with all of the mass hiring going on.

OP
OP
H

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
was that sarcasm? lol i couldnt tell

No, not at all. I completely understand where you're coming from w/ that statement. You work in a larger group, usually different people each shift. Obviously, you're not gonna have the opportunity to grow ties.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

I think the main difference is that in an ambulance service you work with one person at a time, vs in the FD everyone works together. I spend 12 hours a day with my partner, and maybe see my other co workers for 5-10 minutes at the hospitals. When I was at the FD we spent more time together as a group, allowing for stronger relationships between all of us.

I will say that my first partner and I worked together for 7 months, and then after 6 months not working together I pulled a shift with him and it was like we never stopped working together.

OP
OP
H

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
Looking at the history of firefighting, you're going to see the tradition was initiated solely by those who volunteered. Unfortunately, I don't see this ever being the case with the volunteer's of today.

skivail

Forum Crew Member
Could it be that in EMS we are much more likely to be subject to litigation then a FF? We constantly have this fear looming over our heads. A FF has a very different and more physical set of worries.

OP
OP
H

himynameismj

Forum Crew Member
Could it be that in EMS we are much more likely to be subject to litigation then a FF? We constantly have this fear looming over our heads. A FF has a very different and more physical set of worries.

I have a FF background, but my heart rests with EMS. Accountability is huge, but should that be more reason to stick together? To prevent the accountability of just one person every time and to ensure that quality insurance and the growth of everyone within an organization rises at the same time and level.

skivail

Forum Crew Member
I have a FF background, but my heart rests with EMS. Accountability is huge, but should that be more reason to stick together? To prevent the accountability of just one person every time and to ensure that quality insurance and the growth of everyone within an organization rises at the same time and level.

You would think so, but there appears to be a disconnect.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that many in EMS have no intention of staying very long. Quite a few people view EMS as "just a job" to use as a stepping stone to higher medical careers(i.e. nursing) or to get certs to hire on with a FD. People who strive to become firefighters and cops plan on making a 20-30 year career out of it. With the ridiculously high turnover EMS has, it's tough to form that brotherhood. Cops and firefighters have fought to earn respect through professionalism. EMS is a patchwork of private and public agencies who, more often than not, pay very poorly in most areas. Until EMS is treated as equals to police and firefighters, the "brotherhood" will remain elusive.

skivail

Forum Crew Member
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that many in EMS have no intention of staying very long. Quite a few people view EMS as "just a job" to use as a stepping stone to higher medical careers(i.e. nursing) or to get certs to hire on with a FD. People who strive to become firefighters and cops plan on making a 20-30 year career out of it. With the ridiculously high turnover EMS has, it's tough to form that brotherhood. Cops and firefighters have fought to earn respect through professionalism. EMS is a patchwork of private and public agencies who, more often than not, pay very poorly in most areas. Until EMS is treated as equals to police and firefighters, the "brotherhood" will remain elusive.

There is a clear difference between American and Canadian EMS. In the province of Ontario, the lowest level of paramedic (Primary Care) requires two years of school. That seems to weed out the people why want to use it as a stepping stone. From what I have seen here, the EMS brotherhood is not quite as strong as the fire or police brotherhoods but is strong none the less.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
The onyl thing I see wrong with looking at it like this is EMS needs to make a decision about where we want to stand. Public safety or healthcare. As for me, I'll side with healthcare every tiem

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
There is a clear difference between American and Canadian EMS. In the province of Ontario, the lowest level of paramedic (Primary Care) requires two years of school. That seems to weed out the people why want to use it as a stepping stone. From what I have seen here, the EMS brotherhood is not quite as strong as the fire or police brotherhoods but is strong none the less.

And it really depends on where you work. I work for a 3rd service. We're well paid, have good benefits, have terrific equipment, etc. We're a larger agency than most. But we do have a sense of brotherhood. I have found in my experience that 3rd service or fire based EMS(gasp!) tend to have much more comradery that private ambulance companies.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
The onyl thing I see wrong with looking at it like this is EMS needs to make a decision about where we want to stand. Public safety or healthcare. As for me, I'll side with healthcare every tiem

You can do both. I think the elimination of private ambulance in EMS(911 EMS, not IFT) would be a good start. They are a big reason why we have such a high turnover in our industry. When we get serious about EMS, and put in place 3rd service across the nation, we would finally be able to get to the same level as police and fire. That will never happen, but it's a nice dream to have. Thank God I already work for one now.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You can do both. I think the elimination of private ambulance in EMS(911 EMS, not IFT) would be a good start. They are a big reason why we have such a high turnover in our industry. When we get serious about EMS, and put in place 3rd service across the nation, we would finally be able to get to the same level as police and fire. That will never happen, but it's a nice dream to have. Thank God I already work for one now.
I'd love that, love it even more if EMS was separated from FD. Makes me glad that I just got on with a third service municipal. :)