The Biggest Questions: A Poll

What's EMS to you?

• I'm an EMS trained person "under" paramedic level.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I'm a paramedic.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I am a nurse, MD, Physician's Assistant or Nurse Practitioner, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I see EMS as being primarily a "street"-to hospital experience

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I see EMS as being any organized and trained preparation for medical emergencies anywhere.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I am under 30 years of age.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • I am over 30 years of age.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I am a volunteer.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I see EMS as a job. I can and will move on.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I see EMS as a lifestyle, to dedicate the rest of my life to.

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Attitude and identity check rolled up into one. PLEASE use the poll, but comments are really good because we get a glimpse of what we think as individuals.

OK: how do we view ourselves vis a vis EMS, and how do we view EMS as an "entity, if you will.

If you don't want to post things with your name, send me a message. If you want i9t done, I can re-post it without your name.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I'd pick the last one, but I am unsure if it is emergency medicine that I will devote my life to. I've always had an interest in medicine and the human body, so I definitely see my career going that way regardless of if I stay in the EMS.

Though at this time, I feel I would be much happier out in the field, working out of an ambulance, or maybe even a helicopter at some point. But that could very well change in 20 years.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
How am I supposed to answer that considering more than one answer meets my criteria?

I'm a Paramedic under 30

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
I'm going to be an EMT-P in less than a month, I'm under age 30, I dedicate my life to emergency medicine, and I'm career and volunteer.

Danson

Forum Crew Member
too many choices! Wish I could pick more than one...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Really, it's a good start but you're asking too many questions on different topics. Could you please be more specific and make it easier to respond?

Thanks!

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Too late to change, it will shut down soon.

Not to waken or vex the kiddies, but it is as much to prompt thought as to get responses.;)

Whittier

Forum Probie
This is what I want to do!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
One very minor note, it's Physician Assistant, not Physician's Assistant. PAs (of whom several are friends of mine) tell me the correct term lacks the 's. They seem themselves more as an Assistant Physician than as the Physician's Assistant.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

bstone you are right. Thanks for playing!

....;)......

Veneficus

Forum Chief
One very minor note, it's Physician Assistant, not Physician's Assistant. PAs (of whom several are friends of mine) tell me the correct term lacks the 's. They seem themselves more as an Assistant Physician than as the Physician's Assistant.

that actually explains a lot.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
that actually explains a lot.

I think it might, actually. I see an Assistant Physician similar to that of an Assistant Professor or Assistant Manager or any other Assistant Something. Meaning, they have a lot of authority, can do most stuff, are usually pretty good at it, but aren't quite up there all the way.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
but aren't quite up there all the way.

That is the part they keep seeming to forget.

I have never met a PA who wasn't excessively condecending.

Sometimes I like to tell them I am just a patch factory paramedic to see how much they will remind me of their incredible knowledge and education and how little I know. :)

One even accused me of practicing medicine without a license for looking at CT scan. They are funny creatures.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
im an emt, under 30 and i see it as a lifestyle changer, want to progress to my countrys advanced paramedic level.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
That is the part they keep seeming to forget.

I have never met a PA who wasn't excessively condecending.

Sometimes I like to tell them I am just a patch factory paramedic to see how much they will remind me of their incredible knowledge and education and how little I know. :)

One even accused me of practicing medicine without a license for looking at CT scan. They are funny creatures.

Uggg, tho I suspect this is more of a human condition than a PA condition.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Uggg, tho I suspect this is more of a human condition than a PA condition.

Being from a culture where a persons' identity and value, particularly a male, is based on their profession, my experience that certain professions (or divisions of) attact certain personalities, and never having a positive experience with a PA, I guess I just equate the person and profession together.

Strangely enough I have only ever had 1 negative encounter with an NP. So I much prefer them. (though from being in med school and seeing their curriculum, I am not too impressed when they want to be called "doctor." I think a CRNA can lay better claim to that title.)

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Being from a culture where a persons' identity and value, particularly a male, is based on their profession, my experience that certain professions (or divisions of) attact certain personalities, and never having a positive experience with a PA, I guess I just equate the person and profession together.

Strangely enough I have only ever had 1 negative encounter with an NP. So I much prefer them. (though from being in med school and seeing their curriculum, I am not too impressed when they want to be called "doctor." I think a CRNA can lay better claim to that title.)

I will admit my singular experience with a PA was excellent. Of course she had been a physician in India and did a 2 year PA course in the states, which she said was quicker and less stressful than taking the USMLE and doing another residency. Indian physician+US PA=my good experience.

The two NPs I've seen both tried to kill me. One prescribed 20mg of Flexeril for back pain. The pharmacist saw that and said, "No, that will stop your breathing. 10mg is the limit." The other NP simply missed the diagnosis and I ended up seeing an MD who put me on antibiotics, steroids and did a CBC w/differential only to find the absolute neutrofil level was at 600.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The negative experience NP I encountered will live in infamy, she is probably lucky I didn't catch her name.

I was a student guest at a British hospital, and the surgeon and I were going over the specifics of the next surgical case in the ward. This person (who I am later told was an NP and (probably not that specific title, but translated to something I would understand in American English ;) ) came up and asked if the surgeon would sign for sedation on a patient. The surgeon of course asked "which patient?" The name was given, he looked quizically and said he had no such patient. So the NP goes on to explain the patient is actually boarding and admitted uner a different service. Said surgeon suggests she call the doctor for that service for orders.

(this is where it gets good)

She states that it would just be quicker if he signed. He stated he would have to look at the chart and agrees to. Patient is admitted for dementia workup. Baseline not yet established. So he kindly tells her he could not possibly sign for sedation on a patient under the care of another service, whose normal status was unknown.

(the really good part)

The NP then blurts out all she wants is an order for tylenol (translated from paracetamol). I was later informed because of her position, she did not need an order, she was trying to cover her butt by having a doc sign. The surgeon explained that an NSAID was not a sedative, and she needed no order other than hers. They then had a 20 minute discussion on what constitutes a sedative. In the end, she finishes up with: well the "tylenol sedated her last night." The surgeon states of course this is impossible, she probably had pain or something she couldn't communicate and went to sleep after getting an NSAID which brought relief. The NP then starts in with how the doctor is neglecting patients and doesn't care about this poor woman and that "for some unknown reason the lady gets the same effect from tylenol as other patients with benzos."

The conversation ends with: "We are going to theatre, call her doctor."

Just what the world needs, a nurse, pretending to be and wanting to be called "doctor" because of an advanced degree thinking a patient may get the same sedative effect from regular tylenol as from a Benzo and it couldn't be because she was in pain she couldn't communicate.

Good that the pharmacist knows the proper flexoril dose as well huh?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I am an EMT under the age of 30 who has never worked in a "traditional" EMS job. The only time I've had the job title "EMT" has been working ALS first aid at an amusement park.

I am in the process of applying to BSN programs having just about finished my pre-reqs. I've always seen working as an EMT as a "stepping-stone." I've thrown around the idea of becoming a paramedic but probably won't.

Having worked in SAR, OB-GYN, a PACU, completing clinicals in a breadth of fields (I really want to work in SCI/TBI rehab currently), I find myself constantly getting enthusiastically curious and interested in some new field of medicine. However, I usually maintain my interests instead of replacing them. This makes me wonder if I should pursue one of these interests I've collected or see it as a sign that I was made for the garden variety of emergency medicine.

I think it's funny how people think they know exactly what they're going to do prior to entering medical or nursing school, only to learn in clinicals and classes they have no idea what they want to do, and end up doing something completely different after graduation. I don't think that I'm immune to that process so I don't say with any certainty what I'll do as an RN.

I don't see myself working or volunteering as an EMT or medic as a lifestyle or future... however I do enjoy being involved in EMS, researching it, and instructing. I will probably stay involved with my SAR team as an EMS instructor no matter what I get in to.